Jimmy Carr

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
slighy off topic but I’m struck by how happy a lot of trendy tv successful Twitter comedians were to dogpile on that not particularly famous comic who simply cracked ‘no one likes doing zoom shows’ a few months back but aren’t commenting on this at all.
They can’t criticise Jimmy Carr and risk being booted off the panel shows he hosts. They were all posting little stories about his Netflix special when if anyone else made the same jokes about fat women or gypsies they’d all be virtue signalling and clutching their pearls. It just seems so disingenuous to me.

Reactions: 10
They can’t criticise Jimmy Carr and risk being booted off the panel shows he hosts. They were all posting little stories about his Netflix special when if anyone else made the same jokes about fat women or gypsies they’d all be virtue signalling and clutching their pearls. It just seems so disingenuous to me.
I agree, it is quite unpleasant to witness.

Reactions: 4
Everyone jumping on Jimmy Carr for this, but when that black comedian made a joke about killing whitey, the same people who are chastising Jimmy, defended her by saying it was a joke. So what is it? It does seem like those who are offended by almost everything, only accept jokes when it suits the agenda. I would argue Mock the week was at its funniest when Frankie Boyle was on it and free to make dark jokes, until he tried to reinvent himself and become too PC.

I remember all different communities coming after Ricky Gervais when he made some 'offensive' jokes a while back. Dark humour is the best type of humour because it makes you cringe, smile, laugh, grimace because you know it's wrong. There are some on social media trying to conflate his jokes and people who go to his stand up as racists, bigots, xenophobes etc because they laughed (god forbid, at a comedy show) at the joke, which are wild presumptions.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Everyone jumping on Jimmy Carr for this, but when that black comedian made a joke about killing whitey, the same people who are chastising Jimmy, defended her by saying it was a joke. So what is it? It does seem like those who are offended by almost everything, only accept jokes when it suits the agenda. I would argue Mock the week was at its funniest when Frankie Boyle was on it and free to make dark jokes, until he tried to reinvent himself and become too PC.

I remember all different communities coming after Ricky Gervais when he made some 'offensive' jokes a while back. Dark humour is the best type of humour because it makes you cringe, smile, laugh, grimace because you know it's wrong. There are some on social media trying to conflate his jokes and people who go to his stand up as racists, bigots, xenophobes etc because they laughed (god forbid, at a comedy show) at the joke, which are wild presumptions.
But can you explain what is funny about the Nazis murdering Gypsies? I get dark humour if there is something funny in it. But where are the laughs in mass murder?

• Angry
Reactions: 14
But can you explain what is funny about the Nazis murdering Gypsies? I get dark humour if there is something funny in it. But where are the laughs in mass murder?
I wouldn't say that specific joke was hilarious or anything like that, but it was a cringey, shock type of joke. Dark humour is what it is, joking about death, murder, rape, paedophilia etc, and will walk that line of funny and offensive.

At the end of the day, people know what kind of comedian Jimmy Carr is, and if they don't like his comedy then that's fine, but be odd for them to listen to him. I'm not a big fan of his or anything, but it was a clip from his Netflix show from last year, which has to be well searched out for to watch, so not sure why the clip has been released now.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
He doesn’t offend me at all. He’s just boring. He’s like that kid at school who would play up and it was all very dangerous and exciting at first and then got very, very old.

I like Ricky Gervais. He’s in a different league to Jimmy Carr. JC’s entire act is based on offending people which would be fine IF he was original. It’s so old. I could imagine someone like Jim Davidson telling the same jokes as JC - they’re just boring and unimaginative.

I don’t get why you’re outraged by people’s outrage when JC’s entire Netflix special hinged on, “This is the joke which will get me cancelled!” By this logic it’s been a complete success and he should be very pleased with himself.

• Angry
Reactions: 6
It's all about 'Look at meeeee and how edgy I am,' with him. I have a very macabre sense of humour but his schtick is just plain nasty. He was the kid in school who always had to draw the attention back to himself.

Reactions: 11
I wonder if, because he was a staunch Christian until his mid-twenties, he's trying to prove something, with his dark jokes. Going from one extreme to another.

I wish he would go in on other celebrities more, I think that would be funnier if he wants to go after the shock laughs.

I've met him 3 times (worked backstage at a comedy venue) and he was alright as comedians go.
Rhodes Gilbert by far my favourite 🥰he was just gorgeous and brings his dog with him everytime and is everyone's best mate.
Paddy Maguires was an utter scum bag, and cheated on his wife with an absolute skank in his dressing room 👀

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

Yel

He's not my kind of comedian, but apparently he did a longer explanation before and after the joke so a clip going viral on social does take it out of context.

I found the guardians headline interesting as they were saying the new UK hate bill would make Netflix liable and have to pay a huge (possibly bankrupting) fine.

I wish comedians would go in on influencers!

Reactions: 5
He doesn’t offend me at all. He’s just boring. He’s like that kid at school who would play up and it was all very dangerous and exciting at first and then got very, very old.

I like Ricky Gervais. He’s in a different league to Jimmy Carr. JC’s entire act is based on offending people which would be fine IF he was original. It’s so old. I could imagine someone like Jim Davidson telling the same jokes as JC - they’re just boring and unimaginative.

I don’t get why you’re outraged by people’s outrage when JC’s entire Netflix special hinged on, “This is the joke which will get me cancelled!” By this logic it’s been a complete success and he should be very pleased with himself.
But Ricky Gervais isn't even funny, he's just a political bleep like Russell Brand.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 3
I wish he would go in on other celebrities more, I think that would be funnier if he wants to go after the shock laughs.

I've met him 3 times (worked backstage at a comedy venue) and he was alright as comedians go.
Rhodes Gilbert by far my favourite 🥰he was just gorgeous and brings his dog with him everytime and is everyone's best mate.
Paddy Maguires was an utter scum bag, and cheated on his wife with an absolute skank in his dressing room 👀
Who’s Paddy Maguires?

Reactions: 1
He's not my kind of comedian, but apparently he did a longer explanation before and after the joke so a clip going viral on social does take it out of context.

I found the guardians headline interesting as they were saying the new UK hate bill would make Netflix liable and have to pay a huge (possibly bankrupting) fine.

I wish comedians would go in on influencers!
interesting the show has been on Netflix a month and not a peep about it until now. What a coincidence.

my opinion.
I think Carr is an unfunny tosser, on everything he does, shows and stand up, but it’s comedy!!

It’s like hating on a butcher for cutting up meat, ok he made a very controversial, very questionable joke, we all have a choice not to find it funny but we can’t sanitise comedy so we don’t offend.
Where does that end exactly, I don’t need a multinational company or government making that choice for me, the joke was designed to shock, it worked, it also got some laughs, so some did find it funny 😐 it did it’s job in that respect, weird but whatever, but I won’t accept anyone telling me what I should be listening to or reading/where I can travel/what I can put into my body etc hate speech fine! Cancel the tit out of him ( mfor 5 minutes like always on social media)
But this was clearly a joke in a comedy setting so decide, we don’t support the artist/venue/Netflix. But calling for society to be protected by something they might find hurtful, where does it end.
Better stop the publication of some books, better stop some people shopping in Asda, it’s for their own good.

cotton wool society.

Who’s Paddy Maguires?
clearly meant McGuinness.

Reactions: 4
interesting the show has been on Netflix a month and not a peep about it until now. What a coincidence.

my opinion.
I think Carr is an unfunny tosser, on everything he does, shows and stand up, but it’s comedy!!

It’s like hating on a butcher for cutting up meat, ok he made a very controversial, very questionable joke, we all have a choice not to find it funny but we can’t sanitise comedy so we don’t offend.
Where does that end exactly, I don’t need a multinational company or government making that choice for me, the joke was designed to shock, it worked, it also got some laughs, so some did find it funny 😐 it did it’s job in that respect, weird but whatever, but I won’t accept anyone telling me what I should be listening to or reading/where I can travel/what I can put into my body etc hate speech fine! Cancel the tit out of him ( mfor 5 minutes like always on social media)
But this was clearly a joke in a comedy setting so decide, we don’t support the artist/venue/Netflix. But calling for society to be protected by something they might find hurtful, where does it end.
Better stop the publication of some books, better stop some people shopping in Asda, it’s for their own good.

cotton wool society.

clearly meant McGuinness.
I agree. I don’t think banning stuff works. It just makes people more likely to want to see or hear whatever it is that has been banned. I think Jimmy Carr’s humour is crass and nasty but banning his Netflix show is not going to make those who like him think “Oh I was obviosly wrong to laugh at his jokes.” Far more likely that they will like him even more and he will increase his audience. Which is no doubt exactly what he wants. His schtick brings to mind my mother’s advice when someone was being OTT and provocative - “ignore them, they’re only looking for attention.”

Yel

Rachel Riley has been quiet, and she said when the show first came out she watched it all and it was hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Obviously Rachel Viley is waiting for her t-shirt to be printed so she can pile on Jimmy like she did Corbyn 😉

Reactions: 5
Nasty man! Used the loophole lawyer to get off a driving offence.
Also threatened the DPP is driving points people or whoever with legal action if it was leaked to the press that he was caught speeding