Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
Anyone else think he’s a sneering utter bellend?

On Sunday Brunch right now.

I might have to turn over to the politics show when he’s on. He’s up there with Russell Brand in the biggest twat list , he’s not funny , tried to avoid paying tax and has a face only his mother could love.

• Haha
Reactions: 23

Amelia99

VIP Member
Everyone jumping on Jimmy Carr for this, but when that black comedian made a joke about killing whitey, the same people who are chastising Jimmy, defended her by saying it was a joke. So what is it? It does seem like those who are offended by almost everything, only accept jokes when it suits the agenda. I would argue Mock the week was at its funniest when Frankie Boyle was on it and free to make dark jokes, until he tried to reinvent himself and become too PC.

I remember all different communities coming after Ricky Gervais when he made some 'offensive' jokes a while back. Dark humour is the best type of humour because it makes you cringe, smile, laugh, grimace because you know it's wrong. There are some on social media trying to conflate his jokes and people who go to his stand up as racists, bigots, xenophobes etc because they laughed (god forbid, at a comedy show) at the joke, which are wild presumptions.
But can you explain what is funny about the Nazis murdering Gypsies? I get dark humour if there is something funny in it. But where are the laughs in mass murder?

• Angry
Reactions: 14

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
He’s a twat. I’ve never liked him, the tax thing just made it even easier to dislike him. And that “laugh” makes me want to rip my ears off. Only thing I watch with him in is Big Fat Quiz of the Year, because that is normally good even though he is there with his silly fake laugh.

Reactions: 12

Yel

Chatty Member
Rachel Riley has been quiet, and she said when the show first came out she watched it all and it was hilarious

• Haha
Reactions: 12

dorydaryl

Chatty Member
It's all about 'Look at meeeee and how edgy I am,' with him. I have a very macabre sense of humour but his schtick is just plain nasty. He was the kid in school who always had to draw the attention back to himself.

Reactions: 11

Henrii

slighy off topic but I’m struck by how happy a lot of trendy tv successful Twitter comedians were to dogpile on that not particularly famous comic who simply cracked ‘no one likes doing zoom shows’ a few months back but aren’t commenting on this at all.
They can’t criticise Jimmy Carr and risk being booted off the panel shows he hosts. They were all posting little stories about his Netflix special when if anyone else made the same jokes about fat women or gypsies they’d all be virtue signalling and clutching their pearls. It just seems so disingenuous to me.

Reactions: 10

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Everyone jumping on Jimmy Carr for this, but when that black comedian made a joke about killing whitey, the same people who are chastising Jimmy, defended her by saying it was a joke. So what is it? It does seem like those who are offended by almost everything, only accept jokes when it suits the agenda. I would argue Mock the week was at its funniest when Frankie Boyle was on it and free to make dark jokes, until he tried to reinvent himself and become too PC.

I remember all different communities coming after Ricky Gervais when he made some 'offensive' jokes a while back. Dark humour is the best type of humour because it makes you cringe, smile, laugh, grimace because you know it's wrong. There are some on social media trying to conflate his jokes and people who go to his stand up as racists, bigots, xenophobes etc because they laughed (god forbid, at a comedy show) at the joke, which are wild presumptions.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9

Eirawen

VIP Member
He did a show in our local arts centre a few years ago. He clearly loved himself and was the biggest pain in the butt they had ever had there (apart from Lenny Henry) He claimed that a table had fallen on his shoes and that they were now scuffed and that he was going to sue the Arts Centre, dream on twat,,...they never want to see him or his poxy shoes again.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9

Lollyll

I wish he would go in on other celebrities more, I think that would be funnier if he wants to go after the shock laughs.

I've met him 3 times (worked backstage at a comedy venue) and he was alright as comedians go.
Rhodes Gilbert by far my favourite 🥰he was just gorgeous and brings his dog with him everytime and is everyone's best mate.
Paddy Maguires was an utter scum bag, and cheated on his wife with an absolute skank in his dressing room 👀

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I may be wrong but I can't watch him because he seems to really love himself. I prefer comedians who are more self-deprecating but personal choice, I guess. I just find them funnier.

Reactions: 8

jammy

Chatty Member
Doing live shows on seaside piers now so career must be in decline.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Amelia99

VIP Member
I don’t know what he said about Travellers but it’s not surprising it was offensive. There has always been a very nasty edge to his humour which is why I’ve never liked him. Same goes for Frankie Boyle. You can be funny and tackle difficult subjects without being cruel and insulting. Those don’t seem to know how to do that.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

MavisWilton

He's back in the news for his appalling "joke" about the death of thousands of gypsies and Romani people in the Holocaust:

Not sure why this is gaining traction now, when his special came out 6 weeks ago, but anyway. I thought David Baddiel made some interesting points on this (I do think he's a very smart man in general):

His basic point is that you can make jokes about something as horrific as the Holocaust, but it totally depends on the subject and target of your humour. It's all about context, like all comedy is. It's a coincidence that this is happening in the same week as the Whoopi Goldberg stuff- I saw a clip of a comedian on Instagram (Sam Morril I think) poking fun at Whoopi, disagreeing with her statement that the Holocaust was not about race but man's inhumanity to man, and saying "Yeah that's not true. It was about a certain group. I've never heard someone say 'Say what you want about Hitler, but that guy did not discriminate'"- that's how you do it! The target of the humour is the evil people, not the countless people who were slaughtered for their race.

Not Jimmy's nasty, provocative-for-the-sake-of-it, shite. And again, he's just not funny.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

PenelopeTitsDrop

What Jimmy Carr said AFTER the joke did put it in context a bit. We are all outraged at 6 million Jews being killed, but where's the outrage at all the travellers being killed?

He was pointing out that so many people still have prejudice against travellers and gypsies, that they don't actually care about them suffering under the Nazis. He was pointing out the hypocrisy. That's how I took it anyway.

It's ironic that there is more uproar about the joke, than about the historical and current xenophobia towards travellers, and the genocide they were subject to. Which kind of proves his point.

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
But can you explain what is funny about the Nazis murdering Gypsies? I get dark humour if there is something funny in it. But where are the laughs in mass murder?
I wouldn't say that specific joke was hilarious or anything like that, but it was a cringey, shock type of joke. Dark humour is what it is, joking about death, murder, rape, paedophilia etc, and will walk that line of funny and offensive.

At the end of the day, people know what kind of comedian Jimmy Carr is, and if they don't like his comedy then that's fine, but be odd for them to listen to him. I'm not a big fan of his or anything, but it was a clip from his Netflix show from last year, which has to be well searched out for to watch, so not sure why the clip has been released now.

• Angry
  • Wow

Henrii

He doesn’t offend me at all. He’s just boring. He’s like that kid at school who would play up and it was all very dangerous and exciting at first and then got very, very old.

I like Ricky Gervais. He’s in a different league to Jimmy Carr. JC’s entire act is based on offending people which would be fine IF he was original. It’s so old. I could imagine someone like Jim Davidson telling the same jokes as JC - they’re just boring and unimaginative.

I don’t get why you’re outraged by people’s outrage when JC’s entire Netflix special hinged on, “This is the joke which will get me cancelled!” By this logic it’s been a complete success and he should be very pleased with himself.

• Angry

FrostyChops

VIP Member
The thing for me is that he wouldn't have made a joke about the murder of George Floyd. He probably wouldn't have made a joke about the murder of Jews. But rape, paedophiles, travellers -all largely vulnerable people - are all ok.

• Angry