Jessy Nelson - Odd One Out

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Where are the label and management in all of this? All the extream photoshoping to slim her that they must have signed off on will have played a huge part.
There are so many factors when someone experiences a crushing downward spiral like this. The documentary only focused on the impact of trolls and online abuse. Forgetting:

Photoshopping
Magazines and newspapers
Existing mental health issues (potential BDD)
A lack of support from the industry
Societal expectations for celebrity women
Pressures from management to be slim

• Heart
Reactions: 15
There are so many factors when someone experiences a crushing downward spiral like this. The documentary only focused on the impact of trolls and online abuse. Forgetting:

Photoshopping
Magazines and newspapers
Existing mental health issues (potential BDD)
A lack of support from the industry
Societal expectations for celebrity women
Pressures from management to be slim
Yes Jesy did say someone to her room as she kept missing appearances and said "this can't continue, I think you need to go on anti depressants"

I wonder who

What I don’t get is that she would have seen celebrities before she became one. She may have noticed britney shave her head in 2007. This isn’t news. The difference that it’s online instead of in the magazines all the time. She’s now changed her face she looks like all the TOWIE/Geordie Shore girls - even her bandmate what’s her face, jade(??) she is a carbon copy of her.

It’s sad she went that far but none of it is new.

Reactions: 7
I do think people have rose coloured glasses when it comes to the world "pre-social media" which was only what... 10-15 years ago. People still got bullied, people still looked at edited photos in magazines, people still developed eating disorders, celebrities were still ridiculed - probably a lot more so than now.

Does no one remember the size zero trend in the 2000s when young women starved themselves down skin and bone and that's what people looked up to? Might seem alien now but that is how it was. That was all fuelled by magazines which, at the time, were big business. Celebrities were chased by larger crowds of paparazzi too because the photos had a price whereas now they aren't worth as much and celebs are more accessible on social media. We don't need to buy OK to find out what the Z-listers are doing because they show us every day on Instagram.

I just hate this thing of "life before social media" as if we were all sat around holding hands singing Kumbaya.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
That's actually the first thing I thought when she came on was wow she looks exactly like the other one in little mix! She's beautiful and didn't deserve any of what she got but she's morphed into jade x

Reactions: 4
I only managed to watch the last half but I found it upsetting. Her mum seemed truly upset by it all too.

Reactions: 1
So she pretty much let the trolls win by completely changing the way she looks to fit in with today’s (instagrams) idea of beauty. It’s ridiculous! She would have spread a much more powerful message if she had stayed the way she was and worked on her mental health issues (which were clearly there before she was on the X factor) it’s so sad because she’s basically telling young girls that to be accepted and happy you must be fillered up to death and look like every other wannabe on Instagram.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
So she pretty much let the trolls win by completely changing the way she looks to fit in with today’s (instagrams) idea of beauty. It’s ridiculous! She would have spread a much more powerful message if she had stayed the way she was and worked on her mental health issues (which were clearly there before she was on the X factor) it’s so sad because she’s basically telling young girls that to be accepted and happy you must be fillered up to death and look like every other wannabe on Instagram.
Yes yes yes. And she didn't even address the surgery did she? And it was sad that if she left things alone she would be looking like her Mum by now who I think was absolutely stunning and youthful in a very natural way. I agree with you in that looking back at that documentary it is being hailed as a positive thing but actually promotes a deeply unhealthy message. Change! Don't be slightly overweight! Get surgery! And this is a horrible thing to say but her face now is wierd. It wasn't before. Bloody surgeons preying on the insecure. Appalling.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes yes yes. And she didn't even address the surgery did she? And it was sad that if she left things alone she would be looking like her Mum by now who I think was absolutely stunning and youthful in a very natural way. I agree with you in that looking back at that documentary it is being hailed as a positive thing but actually promotes a deeply unhealthy message. Change! Don't be slightly overweight! Get surgery! And this is a horrible thing to say but her face now is wierd. It wasn't before. Bloody surgeons preying on the insecure. Appalling.
I feel so awful saying it too but she looked SO much better before whatever surgery and lip fillers she had. Her mum looks great and Jesy would have looked the same. Hopefully one day she will see the light and stop.

Reactions: 11
I don't really know anything about plastic surgery but I would venture a guess that one you start having facial surgery you would have upkeep issues as you get older? It seems to be like a slipperly slope?

I remember thinking how lovely Jesy seemed on xfactor. I really hope she can reconnect to 'old Jesy' especially once the singing career calms down. They've done very well for themselves but they havem't really slowed down. I predict a couple more years then a hiatus.

I feel a lot of the problem was how they styled her on the X Factor and even in the early days of Little Mix. She was never fat to begin with but compared to the other three, who are slim, she would look bigger and she didn’t wear clothes to suit her body shape.

I think this showed you can have all the plastic surgery in the world and loose weight, but there is still a deep routed issue mentally which needs addressing.

Reactions: 9
I felt really sorry for her watching this and especially with the school girl who’d been bullied to death that was heartbreaking.

I don’t however agree with people like zoella jumping on the bandwagon and making out any criticism for stuff like the calendar and ripping off kids is the same thing. It’s not. Jesy got sent direct messages about her appearance and telling her to kill herself.

Jesy was never fat, she was different shape to the three other petite girls in the band and that made her look different that’s all and it’s very sad

Reactions: 12
It’s Chris Hughes from love island, yeah he is thick.

I’ve not watched the documentary but read about it in the paper and knew that every youtuber snowflake would use it as an opportunity to join in with how hard they have it
What are you basing Chris Hughes being thick on?

I thought it was a great documentary and as a teacher would def use it to spark a discussion in the classroom. I just wish it had been shown over two shows so they could have addressed her surgery and makeup issues that she obviously had.

Chris Hughes is an odd one. Yes he does seem thick but I was at my mum's a few months ago watching Royal Ascot and he was one of the pundits (I think he is keen on horses and racing) and was actually articulate and bright.

Reactions: 1
The fact that I watched the whole of love island that he was in and a documentary with him and his then girlfriend Olivia.

The fact that he claims he believes a woman wakes up in the morning with a full face of make up on, looking like she’s going on a night out, and that he doesn’t know how this happens?!!!

Come on now.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
The fact that he claims he believes a woman wakes up in the morning with a full face of make up on, looking like she’s going on a night out, and that he doesn’t know how this happens?!!!

Come on now.
I wasn't sure if he was being sarcastic. He seemed quite nice though and caring. It made my heart hurt when he said he goes to the kitchen just to look at barefaced Jesy in that photo since he doesn't really see it in rl.

Reactions: 2

Come on now.
Exaclty he lived with how many woman on love island he knows they took hours doing their make up .

Reactions: 2