Jamie Oliver

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

I'm shocked there are 8 Jamie's Italian places left still open. That place was average food, very overpriced with rude staff that would make you wait even if it was half empty.

I know lots don't like the Murdoch press but it's facts will have been checked. Of the 1.4m due in rent, just 350k will be paid back and they consider the matter dealt with.

His showboating with David Cameron is the reason why almost all drinks have artificial sweeteners rather than sugar these days. Even if you're not convinced about the harm of these sweeteners they do taste awful.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
Jamie's Italian sucks!! I once got food poisoning after having seafood risotto, I was soooo ill!!!

Reactions: 4
I really dislike his approach to making the nation healthier. I think it should be more focused on making healthier food cheaper (like how Lidl have done those wonky veg boxes), or educating on how to cook healthy, quick meals - rather than making junk food more expensive (although I do hate how a lot of junk food is always on offer, or easy to get in bulk at places like costco). Also having healthier options for school dinners. I don't know what its like now, but when I was at school the dinners were like...turkey twizzlers and some sort of cake/pudding as a dessert. 🤢

Reactions: 24

Yel

@Mayday I totally agree, his heart is probably in the right place but he's going about it in totally the wrong way and it's not particularly helpful. This sums it up well

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Jamie Oliver is not the first and won’t be the last company to have huge amounts of unpaid debts. If you hear of a company doing a Compang Voluntary Arangement (CVA) like Jamie’s Italian did, like many of the other casual dining chains have done in recent years and other retailers, they are all at it. Because landlords have been charging ever higher rents for years even though the High Street is dying.

Jamie Oliver is a twit though. I already disliked him, but now Vimto, Ribena and Lucozade (as well as others, they are just my favourites) have all been ruined by having sugar replaced with artificial sweetener. They all already had sugar free alternatives, these standard varieties with reduced sugar and sweetener mix are just wrong. People already had the choice of sugar or not. And the whole point of Lucozade is the sugar - hence the term “glucose drink” on the bottle.

The thing about junk food being on special offer more is because it is more processed to produce, it has “added value”, there is more profit margin with a higer price as a result, whereas fresh fruit, veg, meat, fish etc. Generally have much lower profit margins in the U.K. for retailers, so there is less ability for promotional activity on these products and to still keep them profitable. Often at Christmas you will hear of “veg wars” when the supermarkets all make their veg loss making by selling them very cheap - but the supermarkets then try push that loss on to suppliers, who are already struggling to make money. Milk is a prime example, it is underpriced in the U.K., many dairy farmers sell at a loss to supermarkets and large dairy companies, becuase they have greater power over the supplier and it is better to make a small loss than sell no product at all.

Reactions: 15
I'm shocked there are 8 Jamie's Italian places left still open. That place was average food, very overpriced with rude staff that would make you wait even if it was half empty.

I know lots don't like the Murdoch press but it's facts will have been checked. Of the 1.4m due in rent, just 350k will be paid back and they consider the matter dealt with.

His showboating with David Cameron is the reason why almost all drinks have artificial sweeteners rather than sugar these days. Even if you're not convinced about the harm of these sweeteners they do taste awful.

I can’t have sweeteners because they trigger my awful migraines...buying squash/fizzy is a nightmare :(

Reactions: 9

Yel

Jamie Oliver is not the first and won’t be the last company to have huge amounts of unpaid debts. If you hear of a company doing a Compang Voluntary Arangement (CVA) like Jamie’s Italian did
Oh totally agree, this news was just an excuse to start a thread on him. It happens all the time, but for some reason Oliver still maintains this great image with many people. He did himself no favours blaming Brexit as the cause for his awful chain collapsing.

The massive rapid expansion of Jamies Italian was very ill thought out. Just as gifting Alfie and Zoella all their new kitchen stuff meaning they binned every plate and knife and fork before moving to the new mansion.

Reactions: 8
I can’t have sweeteners because they trigger my awful migraines...buying squash/fizzy is a nightmare :(
Same! Aspartame gives me the most awful 3 day migraines and a feeling that my brain cells are being killed off (brain fog, confusion, dizziness) so I've avoided it for years but I bought a fanta the other day not realising they've started to use aspartame in it to get round the sugar tax and I was sick as a dog. They really should put it in clear writing on the front because I've heard of loads of people getting sick from it. I also get the most awful toilet trouble with sucralose/splenda used in sugar free sweets, I don't understand how they're allowed to use these so frequently in food when it's a known problem.

I used to work at one of his restaurants in London for many years.
Met Jamie Oliver few times, nothing bad to say about him - nice, friendly personality.
The place started to go down waaaay before Brexit campaigns even started.. So that is a very lame excuse in my opinion.
Main reason for this failure was being too greedy. Opening restaurants one after the other , instead of focusing on the existing ones. Quantity over quality. I don't know about other restaurants, but where I worked we were massively understaffed - they would save every penny on chefs, waitresses.. Hence the overcooked/undercooked food, ugly presentation, stressed waiters, angry customers and so on ..
I can't blame Jamie for this, but whoever is overseeing his business and management -they need to be sacked.
I also think that Area managers were pushed to the limits to hit the targets and sales .
It is not ''cool'' to have restaurants on each corner with crappy quality. He should've stopped at having 5 restaurants - couple of London locations and couple outside of London. I guarantee you if this was the case there would be still long lines outside of his restaurants waiting for the tables. But it's too late, the reputation is massively damaged now.
At the end all of the good, talented chefs started to leave because they didn't see any potential there and company was so desperate that they made kitchen porters into chefs within couple of weeks (literally).

Reactions: 22

Yel

Thanks for that @WillowM

I can't blame Jamie for this, but whoever is overseeing his business and management -they need to be sacked.
The problem with this is Jamie claims to be very hands-on and at the coal face when things go well. But when things go wrong he's gone to lengths to blame others or unrelated things.

Is he hands on with everything that uses his name or just selling his name? The warning signs with the Jamie's Italian brand were there for years and they carried on expanding rather than slowing down and sorting things out. Either he's a puppet or terrible restaurateur imo.

I don't think Jamie is very hands on when it comes to the restaurant business. However his mentor and business partner Gennaro is very hands on, he used to visit restaurants across the UK on daily basis to teach chefs how to cook, show his techniques.
Jamie is focusing more on TV shows, writing books, social media campaigns, politics etc..

I avoid sweeteners thst aren't made from plants, too many headaches. Give me full fat cola rather than diet any day. At least my body knows what to do with sugar rather than aspartame and asefulsame k. Ribena and Lucozade has been ruined.

I wonder if the greed to open up so many Jamie Italian restaurants was born out of complacency about Italian food being a popular choice when eating out, especially families (I'm assuming).

Reactions: 2
I ate in one twice and really enjoyed my meal! Staff were great with the kids and I was disappointed they closed!

Reactions: 2
The only good thing I had in his restaurant was the goddess olives.

Reactions: 1
I went to the one in Harrogate that is now closing down, service was very slow and food not brilliant.

Gino D'Acampo has a restaurant in Harrogate too, his business is booming. He reported in the local paper that he knew people would realise what a real Italian restaurant was😂😂.

• Haha

Yel

Jamie is focusing more on TV shows, writing books, social media campaigns, politics etc..
Good grief if he's working more on "writing" his books that a team of 50+ people also help him on and political showboating no wonder the Italian restaurants were a mess. They opened on in my home town that has loads of family run Italians in a terrible location. Obviously did next to no research and it was one of the first to be closed.

I avoid sweeteners thst aren't made from plants, too many headaches. Give me full fat cola rather than diet any day. At least my body knows what to do with sugar rather than aspartame and asefulsame k. Ribena and Lucozade has been ruined.
If he was a better person he'd still be working on the sugar tax rather than sitting back and congratulating himself on a job well done by replacing sugar with sweeteners. There's no evidence I've seen that these sweetners will be any better for overall public health and could no more harm as the long term affects aren't known.

Reactions: 5
My daughter is a T1 diabetic and we used fruit juices to bring her sugar levels back up when she had a hypo as it was the only thing that did it quickly, plus the little fruit juice cartons were easy to carry and contained the right amount. Trying to find any kind of soft drink these days with sugar in is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
I bleeping hate Jamie Oliver for that alone, the slug faced twit.

Reactions: 29