Jamie Oliver

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to work at one of his restaurants in London for many years.
Met Jamie Oliver few times, nothing bad to say about him - nice, friendly personality.
The place started to go down waaaay before Brexit campaigns even started.. So that is a very lame excuse in my opinion.
Main reason for this failure was being too greedy. Opening restaurants one after the other , instead of focusing on the existing ones. Quantity over quality. I don't know about other restaurants, but where I worked we were massively understaffed - Great they would save every penny on chefs, waitresses.. Hence the overcooked/undercooked food, ugly presentation, stressed waiters, angry customers and so on ..
I can't blame Jamie for this, but whoever is overseeing his business and management -they need to be sacked.
I also think that Area managers were pushed to the limits to hit the targets and sales .
It is not ''cool'' to have restaurants on each corner with crappy quality. He should've stopped at having 5 restaurants - couple of London locations and couple outside of London. I guarantee you if this was the case there would be still long lines outside of his restaurants waiting for the tables. But it's too late, the reputation is massively damaged now.
At the end all of the good, talented chefs started to leave because they didn't see any potential there and company was so desperate that they made kitchen porters into chefs within couple of weeks (literally).
I think this is the case with Lots of chains They expand too much and lose quality, I remember going to wash a when it first opened about 10 years ago and it was great, I went recently (Ish) and the food was awful, all at fridge temperature and very bland

Jamie Oliver (born 27/05/75) is a British chef and restaurateur known for his accessible, and some may say irreverent recipes.

Any thoughts? and, please, keep it civil. šŸ„°

I once made some meatballs following his recipe - dear god, they tasted awfulšŸ˜† I own 3 of his cookbooks (no idea how or why!) but never ever use them.

Reactions: 1
I feel like he is harshly judged and disliked. I don't understand it honestly. The guy worked hard, built up his businesses, and along the way has been trying to help improve the nation's food choices, despite many hurdles.

I read today that Jools has had five miscarriages too. He seems like a great family man and loving father. I personally like the guy. What are your thoughts on him and his wife?

Reactions: 1
I feel like he is harshly judged and disliked. I don't understand it honestly. The guy worked hard, built up his businesses, and along the way has been trying to help improve the nation's food choices, despite many hurdles.

I read today that Jools has had five miscarriages too. He seems like a great family man and loving father. I personally like the guy. What are your thoughts on him and his wife?
I think both of them seem lovely. But multiple miscarriages in your mid - late 40s when you have 5 healthy kids isnā€™t a tragedy itā€™s reality. I think a lot of women me included struggle with aging & menopause.

Reactions: 3
I think both of them seem lovely. But multiple miscarriages in your mid - late 40s when you have 5 healthy kids isnā€™t a tragedy itā€™s reality. I think a lot of women me included struggle with aging & menopause.
I agree. Poor woman seems to have her entire identity wrapped up.in having babies. She has 5 healthy children, Jamie has said publicly he doesn't want any more kids. She needs to come to terms with the endcof her childbearing years. Children still need to be raised once they stop being babies!

Reactions: 4
I agree. Poor woman seems to have her entire identity wrapped up.in having babies. She has 5 healthy children, Jamie has said publicly he doesn't want any more kids. She needs to come to terms with the endcof her childbearing years. Children still need to be raised once they stop being babies!
I loved having my babies so I can understand it. But I wouldnā€™t make public my ā€œinfertility strugglesā€ as she has done. She has a loving husband, 5 kids which is generally 2/3 more than most & a gorgeous home. Some people never manage to have one baby not to mind 5.
I actually get it, aging & your kids growing up isnā€™t easy to deal with, but I like you I think she need to accept that.
Sheā€™s so lucky, sheā€™ll have a full house at Christmas.

I loved having my babies so I can understand it. But I wouldnā€™t make public my ā€œinfertility strugglesā€ as she has done. She has a loving husband, 5 kids which is generally 2/3 more than most & a gorgeous home. Some people never manage to have one baby not to mind 5.
I actually get it, aging & your kids growing up isnā€™t easy to deal with, but I like you I think she need to accept that.
it does come across as very insensitive and tone deaf, I feel bad for her but I wouldn't say having 5 healthy children is an indication of "struggles with fertility", especially in this day and age of awareness of the environmental impact of having lots of children etc

I agree. So did I I had forgotten about some kidney problems I had with my first two and was desperate for a 3rd to the point where I thought I would go mad. I was really ill during my 3rd pregnancy and I realised how reckless I had been, so that was it. Many women go through it and she just needs to accept it instead of getting pregnant and miscarrying again and again. She has 5 children who need her.

it does come across as very insensitive and tone deaf, I feel bad for her but I wouldn't say having 5 healthy children is an indication of "struggles with fertility", especially in this day and age of awareness of the environmental impact of having lots of children etc
I think I should clarify I think she was actually talking about the impact of miscarriage which I know would still be upsetting. Upsetting yes but itā€™s not in any way the same as struggling to have a 1st or 2nd child. And 100% on the environmental impact.

I think I should clarify I think she was actually talking about the impact of miscarriage which I know would still be upsetting. Upsetting yes but itā€™s not in any way the same as struggling to have a 1st or 2nd child. And 100% on the environmental impact.
oh yeah I do totally empathise with that, but as you said it is not at all the same as all of the women struggling to even get pregnant once or twice

Reactions: 2
oh yeah I do totally empathise with that, but as you said it is not at all the same as all of the women struggling to even get pregnant once or twice
It is hard. I look at my nearly 4 year old & think now has this happened!!! But if Iā€™d done it 5 times Iā€™d be over it!

So, anyone going to the eton mess party outside no 10?

He's congratulating himself over the sugar tax because he claims it made companies make more products and give more choice. Bullshit Jamie, lots of them replaced the sugar version with artificial sweetener versions and it often makes it very difficult to now find a drink without sweeteners. It's near impossible to find cranberry juice without sweeteners in the supermarket, let alone when out somewhere.

"cleans up the rubbish, and they put more good stuff in" I call bullshit again on this Jamie! I'd have respect for you if you acknowledged the sugar tax still needed work and wasn't anything but an amazing success. I get that it came from a good place.

Last edited:
Seeing as we don't have a sugar tax thread this seems the best other place. But thanks to that sugar tax it's been very difficult to get drinks without artificial sweeteners. Even if you wanted normal sugar it wasn't an option as many withdrew their normal drinks and replaced them with sweetners.

To to reduce obesity people are given cancer, and there's little evidence that sweetners reduce obesity as they make people more hungry. The countries with the highest amount of sweetners are also the most obese.

Screenshot_20230629_134331_Chrome.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Seeing as we don't have a sugar tax thread this seems the best other place. But thanks to that sugar tax it's been very difficult to get drinks without artificial sweeteners. Even if you wanted normal sugar it wasn't an option as many withdrew their normal drinks and replaced them with sweetners.

To to reduce obesity people are given cancer, and there's little evidence that sweetners reduce obesity as they make people more hungry. The countries with the highest amount of sweetners are also the most obese.

View attachment 2273002
Exactly, the only thing to do is encourage people to view fizzy drinks etc as treats rather than something to consume every day

I am not sure why they created a sugar tax. You can warn people as much as you want, but it doesn't matter. If people want to smoke they will smoke. If they want to drink, they will drink. Want sugar in your tea/coffee, then surely that's your own personal choice. Kids will be kids and will want to eat sweet treats and drinks.

View attachment 2273002
Weā€™ve been assured for years that itā€™s harmless to humans because of the quantity weā€™d have to ingest to harm us.
If thereā€™s been an about turn on this stance, thatā€™s absolutely outrageous šŸ˜”

I can see that public health need to do something, especially as the mess of the NHS model in the UK is on the road to collapse.

But the half assed sugar tax was never the answer. Created as many problems as it solved. There needed to be a whole roadmap, not just force manufacturers to pump sweeteners into everything so that one portion was 100 cals or less then sit back and say how good it is.

Ribena has been ruined, public health is no better because half the sugar has been replaced with sweeteners.

Jamie-Oliver-sugar-war-Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstall-954085.jpg

Iā€™m sure Jamie Oliver only started his war on sugar to make a name for himself anyway.
Iā€™ve loathed him ever since he made a comment about a parent piercing a microwave meal and popping it in for a child being an ā€œact of hateā€
And not because it touched a nerve with me. I was lucky enough to be at home with plenty of time to cook a dinner.
Many arenā€™t because they dashing home from long hours at work, exhausted and needing to feed hungry kids quickly.
How bloody dare he pass judgement on parents who are often just doing the best they can for their kids šŸ˜”
Disgusting thing to say. Heā€™s an idiot.

Reactions: 5
Iā€™m sure Jamie Oliver only started his war on sugar to make a name for himself anyway.
Iā€™ve loathed him ever since he made a comment about a parent piercing a microwave meal and popping it in for a child being an ā€œact of hateā€
And not because it touched a nerve with me. I was lucky enough to be at home with plenty of time to cook a dinner.
Many arenā€™t because they dashing home from long hours at work, exhausted and needing to feed hungry kids quickly.
How bloody dare he pass judgement on parents who are often just doing the best they can for their kids šŸ˜”
Disgusting thing to say. Heā€™s an idiot.
I don't hate him but his approach to what (in my view) was a noble goal was just awful. It is awful how many people in the UK cannot cook, it really is. You can make a meal very quickly if you know how but the problem is that here, compared to, say Italy, its actually wau cheaper to buy ready meals than ingredients. What should be done is a sugar tax and that money used to make healthy food cheaper (that said "healthy" would probably be corrupted by companies but i mean veg, fruit etc.