Jack Monroe #90 Freezer of lies in a house of extravagant buys

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I said the tomato soup she made looked shop bought with loads of black pepper on top! Now the mushroom soup and the beetroot soup... ding ding ding! That’s a triptych of shop bought luxury soups passed off as Jack’s own creation 👌

Now, if anyone can remember the original “Jack’s creation”... congratulations, you’re as sad as me 🤣
(It was a “wig” made of electrical tape).
OMG @maytoseptember i actually love you, that is one of my all time favourite documentaries. Jack’s creation was sublime!!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Beetroot and kidney bean curry? Does she have an old scrabble bag filled with pieces of paper with ingredients written on them. Then she just pulls out a few and makes some sloppy ploppy plop with whatever the bag endows her with? It's the only explanation for putting beetroot into a kidney bean curry.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 46
Why doesn't she explain to people what her belt tightening is. She doesn't have to tell them all the nitty gritty but just say. My rents expensive and I struggle to pay it because my work has slowed and I am concerned about future work and or the economy. Simple explanation and helps people understand what she is trying to achieve.
My guess is that if she came out and directly said "I'm struggling to pay the rent on my crappy bungalow" more of her followers might dare to offer her advice such as downsizing, moving to a less expensive area and/or getting a normal job with a regular wage. She doesn't want to take or receive this kind of advice from people, she just wants them to blow smoke up her arse and give her money. So instead she drops hints that she's poor again and "subtly" rattles the tip jar.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 37
If we’re not all donning denim and deirdre then i’m going as that bleeping wanky fancy ‘i’ in anchoïade.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
I had a look, it wasn’t her own (Fabulous Pie by Gareth Edwards). Had no idea she wrote children’s books too - they look wonderful! She does come across as so down to earth and genuine. It’s no wonder she’s getting a decent amount of opportunities when she presents herself so well (knowing how to cook also helps... )
Yep I’m pretty sure they had Nadiya pegged as a TV natural during the early stages of Bake Off. It’s kind of like how Jamie was discovered when he was on the River Cafe series. They both make this TV thing look easy, which of course it isn’t (right, Jack?).
I’m not really into Nadija’s cooking that much, as I’m not a baker at all, but I did really like that series she did when she travelled to Nepal, India and Bangladesh. It was really interesting (and everyone she met seemed to love her). I follow her on Insta and she runs her account really well.
Another Insta I really like is Kim-Joy who was a finalist on Bake Off a couple of years ago. Like I said, I don’t bake myself, but Kim-Joy does the most amazing cakes with really cute decorations (she did a fab pavlova a couple of days back covered with little ghosts and green monsters, and she also did some little cake robots) - it just makes me smile to see them pop up in my feed.
Jack could learn a lot about how to manage SM from some of the other bloggers out there.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
It's helpful for me to remember that Jack doesn't have to go to paid work.

She doesn't leave the house to commute to a place of employment where she sells her skills and labour in return for money. She has no need to pay for or make childcare arrangements, she can walk her son to school and back, snooze during the day etc etc.

How many people are that well off at her age? At best, AT BEST, her work is volunteer fun jollies

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
How much is the rent there? If it's only £16-1700 a month, it's about the same as a 3 bed ex council in a crappy estate where I am. Something like the palatial mansion she has would be nearer 3 grand, especially if in an area of tennis courts, train stations and charity shops puddles stocking high end designer gear.
The rightmove listing for her flat said £1500 I think

Reactions: 11

She doesn't leave the house to commute to a place of employment where she sells her skills and labour in return for money. She has no need to pay for or make childcare arrangements, she can walk her son to school and back, snooze during the day etc etc.

How many people are that well off at her age? At best, AT BEST, her work is volunteer fun jollies
Yes! Her "I do all this work largely for FREE" rants when she goes off on one. Obviously not for free hun or you certainly wouldn't be renting that lovely big home/have all that lovely designer gear. Seems quite lucrative, actually.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Yep I’m pretty sure they had Nadiya pegged as a TV natural during the early stages of Bake Off. It’s kind of like how Jamie was discovered when he was on the River Cafe series. They both make this TV thing look easy, which of course it isn’t (right, Jack?).
I’m not really into Nadija’s cooking that much, as I’m not a baker at all, but I did really like that series she did when she travelled to Nepal, India and Bangladesh. It was really interesting (and everyone she met seemed to love her). I follow her on Insta and she runs her account really well.
Another Insta I really like is Kim-Joy who was a finalist on Bake Off a couple of years ago. Like I said, I don’t bake myself, but Kim-Joy does the most amazing cakes with really cute decorations (she did a fab pavlova a couple of days back covered with little ghosts and green monsters, and she also did some little cake robots) - it just makes me smile to see them pop up in my feed.
Jack could learn a lot about how to manage SM from some of the other bloggers out there.
Nadiya also has a second Insta account which is probably run by her agent/publisher/admin as it is all about her books, upcoming programmes, and other work things. Again, Jack could learn a lot from people who haven't been in the public eye for as long as her yet who are doing a hundred plus times better professionally without having to resort to begging and Patreon.

To be honest, before Jack, I had only heard of Patreon with regard to things like podcasts - and all my favourite podcasts made bloody sure that their Patreons get regular goodies and extra podcasts. Most of them suspended accounts when the lockdown first happened until they got sorted out with remote recording, and all of them have emphasised that they fully understand how people may be struggling at the moment so only support them if you can actually afford that £5 or whatever. None of them seem to use it for living expenses or sideboards.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
In the same way that Jack has a 'thing' for Cotswold Co furniture, I have a 'thing' for cookery books.
The weirder and more obscure the better.
I think this may be the 'Gourmet Cook Book' that is being referred to!
Not going to lie, I would absolutely buy that just for the sheer horrors it would contain 😂 I wouldn't actually cook anything out of mind you!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I had never heard of anchoïade before this.

I now look back on that period of my life with some sorrow as I truly did not appreciate that particular blissful ignorance at the time. Ah well, moving on...

I'm vegan, so it's possible I wouldn't necessarily understand her "method" anyway, but this bizarre, slapdash approach to shopping then cooking is just borderline chaos!

She doesn't seem to meal plan and then shop accordingly; the haul looks eclectic and that's without the yellow health hazards.
There are just random products popping up, having been "lost" in the fridge, whilst other items disappear completely despite earlier excitement.

If this pointless mayhem is her usual behaviour then no wonder she's stressed, no one needs to spend most of Sunday conducting multiple visits to supermarkets, and if it isn't then that's why she's read so many of those books, even twitter can't keep her attention constantly what with the need for sulk breaks and follower manipulation.

Reactions: 43
I usually identify as a mango but would like to announce that I am preparing to transition to a peach for the big day

D5D09E41-AA22-4979-8D01-9676AC4B668E.jpeg

Unruly labia on show ‘n all

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Grunking as per usual. I'm changing my court outfit for the trial as presided over by Jack's prey new BFF's father Judge Pops. I'm coming as a 9 year old completely faded heat printed receipt! Beat that witches.

P.s. Sorry for calling you witches cabal 😳

So if we smash the sentient mirror that is boosting Jack's ego, she might pack in being a bootstrapcock and work at her local Asda instead?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45

Yes, this! Which is why her hur dur adulting is hard~ tweets are all the more ridiculous. She can go food shopping IRL when supermarkets are quiet, travel off peak and save a fortune, do chores as she goes along rather than ramming them all outside of working hours, see her child before & after school - something most mums would love to be able to do. All of these are beyond money they’re decent quality of life measures and she’s SO lucky to have it all, but you won’t ever hear that come out her mouth. She’d sooner go on about not owning a house 🙄 or the fact her 500th fiancé has LEFT!

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Ok so I'm all caught up now and after seeing all your outfits, mine seems a bit tit now. I think I'll go as the very thing Jack lacks.

61vpU7R8p4L._AC_UL1333_.jpg

@Alansbigplate because I'm familiar with your body of work, I'm going to suggest you should do Jack as the tin man.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Yes, this! Which is why her hur dur adulting is hard~ tweets are all the more ridiculous. She can go food shopping IRL when supermarkets are quiet, travel off peak and save a fortune, do chores as she goes along rather than ramming them all outside of working hours, see her child before & after school - something most mums would love to be able to do. All of these are beyond money they’re decent quality of life measures and she’s SO lucky to have it all, but you won’t ever hear that come out her mouth. She’d sooner go on about not owning a house 🙄 or the fact her 500th fiancé has LEFT!
Jack, unlike genuinely poor people, is not time poor because she isn't stuck on a long commute so has all day to cook a healthy dinner from scratch for her child. Nor is she spending a large portion of her income on fuel or public transport. She has no idea how lucky she is.

Also want to add as someone else mentioned Kim Joy a few pages back. She is a real joy to follow. Some of her recipes are vegan, her insta feed is a positive, colourful happy place and she gets behind causes in a tasteful supportive way. Like Nadiya she comes across as genuine and decent.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.