Jack Monroe #90 Freezer of lies in a house of extravagant buys

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This has made me curious about how cookbooks are usually produced.

I know that most high-profile chefs or food writers have a team working with them to test recipes. Jack famously doesn't since she cancelled that Patreon tier.

Since 2018, she has released four cookbooks, and is now apparently working on the fifth (due out next year?). So five cookbooks in three years for a one-woman operation. Of the four already published, two have 75 recipes, one 100 and one "over 100" (101?).

How the duck does that work, then? There is literally no way she can test her recipes, or come up with new, innovative ideas that regularly. She is just slinging slop about the place, bastardising other countries' cuisine, and lying constantly.

We also know that she's spent months this year not cooking due to burnout. 🙄 So this latest book will probably consist of about a month's worth of slop-slinging.

Yum.
Apparently she didn't test most of her meat recipes - her admin assistant had them! Found these comments under this pic on Facebook.

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 60
Apparently she didn't test most of her meat recipes - her admin assistant had them! Found these comments under this pic on Facebook.

View attachment 279141
View attachment 279140
“And sometimes I just say duck it and eat a massive burger from 5 guys....” (really puts her ‘I prefer not to’ reply into perspective)

And really, substitute the word ‘vegan’ with many of her adopted ‘identities’, (poor, trans, disabled, labour supporter etc etc..) and with a bit of rejigging, this exchange could cover all of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
There are two issues with that vegan comment. Well actually there are far more, but it is 6am on a Sunday and 🙃.

Firstly, you are either vegan or not with food (admittedly, based on privilege, there is a whole other issue with what to wear/use in the home/products to buy, but seeing as Unilever and L’Oréal seemingly own the whole world, this makes this more difficult to do than it did ten years ago). She should have asked Caroline to test all meat-based dishes in the same way Tom kerridge makes his chefs do with seafood-based ones. It isn’t tricky and it is what professionals do.You cannot be mostly vegan. I do not cook mostly vegan meals for Mrs Tunnel. If I did I would be out on my ear.

Secondly, if she fell off the vegan wagon (which is understandable for a number of reasons) she should have given a full, honest and detailed explanation. Vegans can be (rightly) protective of their cause and she is dicking around with a choice that people take for ethical, health and a myriad of other reasons. Simply replying, “Nobody’s perfect” is childish, lacks emphathy and the intelligence to understand why a vegan needs to hear the reasons behind the choice.

And then there is the personal dig. “Not even you.” Nice Jack. Really nice.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
And for the record, “I’ve been pretty open about it” isn’t the candid admission of transparency that she wants it to be. Being open isn’t shades of grey, it’s black and white. Either someone is fully open or they’re not open at all. ‘Pretty open’ is an oxymoron, a bit like ‘mostly vegan’.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
P.S. This is the unidentified 14th 🗄 object. It is from the Westcote Inky Blue range, but cannot verify if a 2, 3 or 4 drawer sideboard. Any fuller images?

[/QUOTE]
If I had a piece of furniture that nice there is no way I would load it with clutter like that!!!! How can she be so careless with her things? Particularly when she has such nice stuff?

This week we bought our first coffee table 🔺 (up until now we have been using magazines to put cups/dishes/my packets of giant chocolate buttons) and I am so excited.

I am even more excited because it isn’t coming from IKEA (not cc though 😏) . When it arrives, there will be coasters, only the books we are currently reading, no clutter and NO feet!!!!

When you have have waited ages for something, it feels special. She just trickles money on endless niceties so nothing feels special anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I really don't think anyone would care that much about the vegan thing if she hadn't written that bizarre gushing article about overcoming her meat addiction and forcing her son to buy his own sausages.

If she had just said, "I did Veganuary but it wasn't for me" - like a lot of people - fine.

Instead she was a hardcore militant vegan for about a week, then variously stopped because it's too fancy for poors/her (lady?) doctor prescribed anchoïade for arthritis/her followers want meat.

And, of course, she goes mad for the cheapiest nastiest meat around with 0 concern for welfare. Then gets defensive when questioned.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 63
I would love someone to reply 'a book a day? That's pretty cool. I normally would get through three myself but I understand not everyone reads as speedily as I do'

Call her bleeping stupid bluff.

But honestly who cares. It's all nonsense.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
There are two issues with that vegan comment. Well actually there are far more, but it is 6am on a Sunday and 🙃.

Firstly, you are either vegan or not with food (admittedly, based on privilege, there is a whole other issue with what to wear/use in the home/products to buy, but seeing as Unilever and L’Oréal seemingly own the whole world, this makes this more difficult to do than it did ten years ago). She should have asked Caroline to test all meat-based dishes in the same way Tom kerridge makes his chefs do with seafood-based ones. It isn’t tricky and it is what professionals do.You cannot be mostly vegan. I do not cook mostly vegan meals for Mrs Tunnel. If I did I would be out on my ear.

Secondly, if she fell off the vegan wagon (which is understandable for a number of reasons) she should have given a full, honest and detailed explanation. Vegans can be (rightly) protective of their cause and she is dicking around with a choice that people take for ethical, health and a myriad of other reasons. Simply replying, “Nobody’s perfect” is childish, lacks emphathy and the intelligence to understand why a vegan needs to hear the reasons behind the choice.

And then there is the personal dig. “Not even you.” Nice Jack. Really nice.
She is a dick of the highest order. So what If people are questioning her motives, don't be a dick just say I bleeping tried the diet and I didn't like it end of bleeping story.

I am not vegan because personally it's not for me, but I really admire people who are.

Reactions: 31
I can read a book every 3 days. But because of my dyslexia I don’t take in most of the plot! Maybe she will add dyslexia to her list of ailments??
I can quite easily read a book in a day if and it's a big IF I don't have alot of tit to do, but alas I am a busy lass so I haven't read one in a day for a while. I think I do a couple during lockdown but with a house too keep and children it's not mean fear. When I was at uni I devoured books because apart from classes my part-time job most of my days were pretty uneventful because my housemates were also busy doing classes and working( during the day). I hate day tv so instead I read.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I can read a book every 3 days. But because of my dyslexia I don’t take in most of the plot! Maybe she will add dyslexia to her list of ailments??
I know we all suffer in different ways, but it has been roughly a year to the day since my world came crashing down, my career ground to a halt and I haven’t read a complete book since then.

My brain is still fried from trying to heal from chronic pain/mh issues and I lack the concentration skills to read properly anymore.

Obviously her brain works differently, but if you are burnt out, I would take a bet that reading 7000 pages in 2 months is not achievable.

ETA when will I realise all of this is lies 🥺

• Heart
Reactions: 70
Burnout is definitely real @Into_the_tunnel and it is hard to get back into something that was once enjoyed. Jack is just doing her usual braggy bollocks! I hope you're ok?

I'm not vegan, but she approached it in pretty much the same way as she did with the trans thing, and the sober thing. Lots of shouting 'look at me, I know all there is to know', only to abandon it once she'd got a few quid for being a mouthpiece.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Burnout is definitely real @Into_the_tunnel and it is hard to get back into something that was once enjoyed. Jack is just doing her usual braggy bollocks! I hope you're ok?

I'm not vegan, but she approached it in pretty much the same way as she did with the trans thing, and the sober thing. Lots of shouting 'look at me, I know all there is to know', only to abandon it once she'd got a few quid for being a mouthpiece.
Thank you 🤗... slowly on the mend.

This is why she is so damaging. If people are burnt out and see her claiming the same thing but reading 19 books in 2 months, cooking all this stuff and all they have done is watch the Home Edit, the Haunting of Bly Manor and eat giant chocolate buttons they will feel even worse about themselves and this will exacerbate the issue.

I was scared off a month ago and now I am really really 😡.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
amazed she's managed to read a book a day but never gotten through - or understood - the 87 pages of living sober

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.