Jack Monroe #427 Frugal home cooking based on lived experience (now contested)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't wait for the hackalong! Just hoping no drains are clogged or houses burnt down in the process.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
Morning. I'm sure this is old news. However, JM and Allegra are represented by the same agent. Not just the same agency, but the same person. Makes you think.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
Morning. I'm sure this is old news. However, JM and Allegra are represented by the same agent. Not just the same agency, but the same person. Makes you think.
Jack's first agent allegedly stole three years' worth of royalties from her, so presumably after that Allegra helped her out.

Here is the post about the theft, in which Jack begs for money in probably the most cringeworthy way yet: https://web.archive.org/web/2020080...2018/05/29/poverty-lingers-in-a-septic-wound/

Consider the fact that Jack's agent stole all her royalties from 2015 - 2018.

The blurb for Cooking on a Bootstrap, released in 2018, claims that A Girl Called Jack sold "almost 60.000 copies". We know that A Year in 120 Recipes was far less successful.

Jack claims to have earned 30 - 50 grand in royalties in three years, from 2015 - 2018 (so starting a year after the initial release of A Girl Called Jack, when presumably it sold the most copies because there was a lot of media coverage).

In light of the fact that Jack also claims to earn a maximum of 22p per book sold, we can conclude that either Jack is really, really bad at maths or...

jimmy-nail-shes-lying.jpg

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 98
I completely agree with this. Middle class is such a wide spectrum - where I grew up middle class was a large semi, with a holiday abroad and two cars etc. (economically middle class) but then I went to university and met what I still think as posh people - private school, everyone had the accent despite coming from all over the country, horses, second homes, wine cellars etc. - and confusingly these people also identify as middle class!
It's because those people at private school who own horses and multiple homes mix in circles where they ARE the poorer ones, so they think themselves to be less well off than they are. They know people with a yacht, but they don't have a yacht, they must just be middle class and the people with the yacht are upper class. But people with yachts are super wealthy. There's a new class of super-wealthy that a lot of upper class people don't want to recognise, so they see themselves as middle, or even working, class.

I work with so many of these people. People who tell me that they are really worried about the cost of living crisis because they were planning on buying a new merc in the new year but now they're "not sure, they probably will though, because they've worked hard for it". I have colleagues who call themselves working class because they work, but one guy literally didn't believe that not all houses had bedrooms that all had en-suites. One who thought he was working class because his house wasn't "technically" a mansion. A woman who would take a month off in the summer to go to her family's second house in Singapore, but would say they were actually poor because it was just a house her parents owned, not some fancy hotel and she "wouldn't be getting room service and there are no maids!"

I think Jack fell into this trap. She was middle class until she met Allegra. Until then, middle class was fine, she was better than all those people watching Jeremy Kyle and wearing tracksuits. But then Allegra's circle made it clear that she was still bottom of the totem pole. So, instead of acknowledging these people are incredibly wealthy and being middle class wasn't enough, she's decided she's working class because then she can blame that for why they dislike her, it's discrimination, not just that she's a wanker.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 118
I think she can't shock me any more, but in the poverty lingers in a septic wound article she nonchalantly mentions throwing a book at a publishing employee's head.
She is vile

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 94
I think she can't shock me any more, but in the poverty lingers in a septic wound article she nonchalantly mentions throwing a book at a publishing employee's head.
She is vile
Agreed, she's vile and entitled. Also belongs in prison. Sick of her shite.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Have to say. As much as I understand Molly trying to be anonymous. I am an EEA immigrant, I don't appreciate people pretend to be that. Same like I don't appreciate Jack pulling immigrant card as second/third gen tbh.
I am somewhat disappointed in Molly with this. Doesn't take away from her work but it does make me wary? Not sure how to explain. I did wonder about her education (wow which school you went to you lucky bugger!) because thst was better than native level of English on someone who has been here less than 5 years😂 envy😂

• Sad
Reactions: 41
She is vile
Honestly, a lot of authors think people in publishing companies are their underlings, and do treat them absolutely appalling. It's nearly always the middle of the road set too, the people with one or two big books, who came to fame quickly and suddenly.

Mary Berry was an absolute delight. Honestly, just the loveliest. Asked how everyone was doing, brought in cakes. Then we did a book by an "Instagram celebrity" and they were a horror, one of the worst people I've ever met, and I've met Michael Portillo.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 92
Jack's first agent allegedly stole three years' worth of royalties from her, so presumably after that Allegra helped her out.

Here is the post about the theft, in which Jack begs for money in probably the most cringeworthy way yet: https://web.archive.org/web/2020080...2018/05/29/poverty-lingers-in-a-septic-wound/

The blurb for Cooking on a Bootstrap, released in 2018, claims that A Girl Called Jack sold "almost 60.000 copies". We know that A Year in 120 Recipes was far less successful.

Jack claims to have earned 30 - 50 grand in royalties in three years, from 2015 - 2018 (so starting a year after the initial release of A Girl Called Jack, when presumably it sold the most copies because there was a lot of media coverage).

In light of the fact that Jack also claims to earn a maximum of 22p per book sold, we can conclude that either Jack is really, really bad at maths or...

View attachment 1729424
duck sake Jack, it’s hardly Colonel Tom Parker kinda stuff, is it?

Her style of writing makes me bilious.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
She is vile
The writing in that piece is particularly atrocious. I genuinely find it difficult to stomach.

Edit: snap, Lazarus, hadn’t read your comment!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I think Jack fell into this trap. She was middle class until she met Allegra. Until then, middle class was fine, she was better than all those people watching Jeremy Kyle and wearing tracksuits. But then Allegra's circle made it clear that she was still bottom of the totem pole. So, instead of acknowledging these people are incredibly wealthy and being middle class wasn't enough, she's decided she's working class because then she can blame that for why they dislike her, it's discrimination, not just that she's a wanker.
exactly this. Not to 🔺 myself further but I work in public service job so, as you can imagine, I’m not rolling in cash. But my job also affords me the opportunity to meet the people who are really at the sharp end. I visited a family recently in a small flat with 3 young kids (2 with some complex needs), on a properly depressing estate just set back from a dual carriageway. Dad works as a hospital cleaner doing night shifts and mum has to be home for kids.

Now, I’ve got far more in common with that family than I do the Allergras of this world but it would be offensive to everyone if I then extrapolated that to mean we are in the same situation. That it was me and them against the world.

If Jack had simply kept the brand as “we could all do with saving some money” rather than “I’m dead poor me” she might have escaped the magnifying glass which has easily picked holes in it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 95

View attachment 1729424
The most hilarious thing in that whole blog is that Jack asked people to send her emails to tell her the good she has done for them, because she ‘reads every email’! I am ⚰

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 57
Liz Jones is having a Jack one this morning. No words.

View attachment 1729479
If you're in your 60s then you should know that renting is more precarious than buying because, err, you read your rental contracts and you know the law about being evicted. So why would you pay that much money to decorate a place you can be asked to leave? Makes absolutely no sense.

You daft mare:
I cashed in my pension and got a loan to pay for everything from a new kitchen to underfloor heating, new bathroom and white goods

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 102
Mary Berry was an absolute delight. Honestly, just the loveliest. Asked how everyone was doing, brought in cakes.
Woah there Neddy. You’ve actually eaten actual Mary Berry💚 cake actually baked by actual Mary Berry💚? Do you now have superpowers? (Can you fly? Have you checked?) Or is it limited to a perfectly risen magical ring of protection?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
Wow. That blog. I felt the need to screenshot several parts of it for FORENSIC examination.
A84209BA-8ADD-4CD7-B544-F92E7A6DDEDE.jpeg

She’s got some front still going on about how much KH ruined her life for 20 months after the judge totally saw through that blag. The histrionics are off the chart.
97B8D8AA-2FEA-4C88-8FAA-AC23F4F8A392.jpeg
Blog is from May 2018
CD29D720-EB60-47D8-A732-AE854D080B0D.jpeg

18th house move. 9 moves since then? 🤔
3360FDF5-6623-445A-A170-A5E82467E2B5.jpeg

Admittedly coming at this from a position of ignorance, but does this happen? Wouldn’t they just cut you off rather than break into your house to install a prepaid meter??
2BE57073-252D-4E1D-9FC5-1405E5B74187.jpeg
Already mentioned by at least two other fraus but I screenshot it and couldn’t leave it out. Just drops this in like it’s acceptable behaviour.
8BD82601-5159-43D0-9040-73E6DF3ED516.jpeg

The ENTITLEMENT! This blog gave me all the rage. Way too much for a Monday morning if you please.

And what the hell has happened to this alleged stolen £50k+? Has the agent been arrested? Sued? Has Jack recouped the money? So many questions!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 79
Recap: Jack has been quiet but is still promoting Grifty Kitchen, due for release in January. The book was promoted by Waterstones on Twitter with a 50% discount (read: they can't give it away) and received a lot of negative comments about Jack's scams, lies, and Patreon. Meanwhile, Awfullymolly launched a new website with a more detailed, systematic overview of Jack's grifting.

Still no Patreon rewards. Still no VBI. Jack wheeled out Content the dog for, uh, content (distraction) and made a nasty little comment about "funding" SB as if he isn't her own child
Petition to change Jacks name to “Monwoe”

its perfect!

• Haha
Reactions: 64
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.