Jack Monroe #41 No one else gaslights or fights for 'likes' like Jack Monroe. Oops.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow. I didn’t realise suddenly children’s stories are so regulated! The reason for a lot of “problematic” Characters in stories is to teach the reader morality & ethics. If they are not present, it makes discussions about problematic issues more difficult to explain to children. Yes, that means questionable themes/ words used, but isn’t that the ethos of storytelling?

Get the feeling someone needs to focus more on family than this. Primarily getting that poor bloody kitten to a chuffing vet AT LAST!

Reactions: 24
View attachment 175321View attachment 175322

‘Bangs’ I’m surprised she didn’t use her trusty bread knife. It’s ok to have normal scissors, Jack. Not every tale needs a twist.
Isn't that a fringe, Jack? I've got one of those too. Incidentally, I've been cutting it myself for over ten years, only with the scissors that belonged to my professional hairdresser mother.

Wallpaper scissors, though? Very easygoing private landlord that lets you wallpaper. FANCY.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
AGUG (Almost Grown Up Girl) absolutely loved Tom Gates books, her head teacher at Primary School used to read books to them every Friday. The author came into school to see the kids too and signed books (pretty sure it didn’t cost them £25 grand though). Just waiting for my tablet to kick in then I’m off. Fully expecting 2 new threads when I awaken tomorrow 😂😬 Goodnight lovelies.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
It's so funny (peculiar) the way literally everything in Jack's life is up for public consumption (sexual assaults, DV, anorexia, ailments, etc etc) ... but when it comes to how she cares for her kitten, *that* is the thing which crosses the line, and she's unwilling to speak about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
'What's the point of having somewhere to live if you don't own it?' , I think.

That archetypal Middle Class thing of rent being a waste of money as it doesn't make you wealthier in the long run.
Or is she alluding to the Dv thing? If it’s about renting though that is atrocious, I imagine millions of homeless people would prefer any roof over their heads ffs

Reactions: 12
I mean I know it’s a drop in the ocean, but why doesn’t she have proper scissors? She’s got a tonne of sideboards and a studio to store them in. I’ve got hairdressing scissors that were something like £8 on amazon, and we don’t just randomly chop our hair off round here. Of all the things she’s done... this is the straw/camel’s back for me 😂 I just can’t!

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Way back on the magical Wednesday of thread #31 I pointed out to JM that she often focused on details and expressed some sympathy with this behaviour, because my daughter does the same thing and gets all het up when she sees one that doesn't chime with her understanding. I absolutely did not mean for it to become one of her *reasons' for getting all frantic all the time, I meant it was something that she could work on to help her to calm down and recognise when she was in a spiral.

I'm not arrogant enough to think our brief exchange had much impact on her, but she has mentioned it a few times, specifically, since that Wednesday and I'm feeling all itchy to think I've even vaguely given her a get out. I nearly posted about it before, but thought it was a bit self-obsessed of me to see what I said as having an impact. Anyway, if it did, I just wanted to point out that she completely misunderstood what I meant. I didn't mean it to be an excuse/reason, I meant it to be something that it might be helpful to work on.
Wow. I would absolutely not put it past her to collect and use information like that to make her seem more credible. Info that only someone with experience would know. Again I don't enjoy speculating on the authenticity of her health issues, but it's noticeable that she uses them repeatedly as a fallback for her questionable behaviour online to a large audience!

Reactions: 16
It's so funny (peculiar) the way literally everything in Jack's life is up for public consumption (sexual assaults, DV, anorexia, ailments, etc etc) ... but when it comes to how she cares for her kitten, *that* is the thing which crosses the line, and she's unwilling to speak about it.
She knows that even the most sycophantic of her followers would not swallow total BS about the care of that cute little disabled kitten.

Reactions: 16
I mean I know it’s a drop in the ocean, but why doesn’t she have proper scissors? She’s got a tonne of sideboards and a studio to store them in. I’ve got hairdressing scissors that were something like £8 on amazon, and we don’t just randomly chop our hair off round here. Of all the things she’s done... this is the straw/camel’s back for me 😂 I just can’t!
Didn’t she mention she had a few pairs? Or was that razors?

Reactions: 6
Mine were 2.99 on eBay.

Reactions: 4

Cringe

Jack on the telly box telling us how wrong it is to be rude.
Why was she even chosen for that? Even without the fact that she clearly is so rude, it’s hardly like she made her fame with politeness/etiquette advice?

Reactions: 20
Back in the mid 90s, when I had my eldest I was entitled to free milk and health visitor changed us over to cows milk when baby was 6 months old. Not the greatest idea looking back, but I still don't understand why children over the age of 1 with no allergies need to remain on formula, plus the hassle of having to prepare it. Shes just lucky that bread didn't cost a minimum of £1.50 🤷‍♀️
Honestly one of the reasons I breastfed was because I couldn’t be arsed faffing around with formula all the time 😬

Yeah I think non-mainland poverty is something quite different, bit of a niche subject and I feel like it’s never acknowledged? The cheaper supermarkets are spreading over here (not near me unfortunately) but towns are still dominated by the more expensive and if that’s all you’ve got, what can you do 🤷🏻‍♀️ £1.50 is insanely expensive for bread and I’m feeling lucky that even my local virtue-signalling supermarket with extortionate prices doesn’t charge that!

When I visited Rapa Nui (fancy! And yes my Airbnb host was amused to learn that I’d travelled from one island to another) it did seem to have a high cost of living too. This was exacerbated by the fact the whole island was served by 4-5 small grocery stores. However, the island was apparently largely self-sufficient in terms of produce and the items that were shockingly expensive were imported, highly processed products. Which is the complete opposite to where I’m from

Can you imagine non-mainland U.K. Jack? She’d have constant ammo, tweeting about That Shop with the £1.50 bread and 44p short dated salad bag for pesto (honestly the cheapest I’ve ever found, 3pm on a Sunday too!)

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.