Jack Monroe #36 Drawers of toys, drawers of pills, she needs 5 sideboards for all the lies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But have you ever kicked a man in the shin on your uneventful train journeys?!

Snap!!
I don't think gaslighting is the right word, I don't think the right word for it has been invented yet, but where I've been so removed from mainstream society for so long now (pretty much shielding, we do late night walks) my memories of the tube will be replaced purely with JM's tales. So next time I get the tube somewhere (realistically this will be 2021...) I'm gonna be raging and ready to physically fight every single man that dares glance at me, just in case they call me white trash or hot stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
They’re all on Dailymotion for your viewing pleasure 😬

I’ve just rewatched the last one - love that she asked the professional gardener if he’d ever grown beans 😂
Oh, God, I missed that cracker.

Although, I suppose 30 years of experience in professional gardening would pass you by if you weren't a sad bastard like me, who could remember him when he was the kid that had been taken on as an apprentice and featured in a few shots as part of the background. On to the most famous TV garden in England.

I reckon the most sensible thing would be to write a book about proper peasant food. Not the wank about fancy foreign places and expensive ingredients, not how to get calories from slop, but how to make food that is inexpensive and good. Greek/Cypriot peasant food, Irish food, any food that is for the people, not the elite. Potatoes, beans - not rinsed - lamb, cabbage, things you can grow if you have a garden or with herbs on a windowsill, stuff that tastes good, looks good but is simple, cheap, nourishing and tasty. Stuff you can make armed with a knife, a wooden spoon, a couple of pans and a heat source, preferably taking advantage of seasonal items -

For example, raspberries or blackberries. You pick them, you stick them in the freezer. To use them, there could be

Sieve them to get the seeds out. Take the juice and add a little honey/maple syrup/sugar to taste. Swirl through yoghurt or creme fraiche and serve on pancakes (include simple pancake recipe). One great photo.

You can use it to glaze a packet of duck breast pieces from the supermarket (£4, so not that expensive), cook duck skin side down (and taking the rendered fat and pouring it into a clean glass jar). Once it's cooked, add the fruit to the pan with a sprig of Thyme and turn up the heat to make a sticky covering or sauce. Let the duck rest for 20 minutes whilst you fry off cubes of cooked potato in another pan with some more thyme and use some of the duck fat. Drop the crispy cubes of potato over salad leaves, Cut the duck into small pieces and put that on top of the potato. Drizzle the leftover sauce over the top. Bang, another pretty picture.

Then there's jam. Add fruit to sugar, plus some shredded lemon peel, a bit of juice and some elderflower cordial. Combine this with a scones recipe - or one for soda bread.

Do potato dishes, not as sides, but as mains. Not skins, as they're wasteful. Do them with turmeric, with dill, with mayonnaise, with spices and herbs galore. Or a fuckton of butter, milk and cabbage or spring onions.

Everybody knows how to buy sausages, you don't need to make that bit. But turning gravy into onion and mushroom gravy - that's a recipe; slice onions and cook long and slow until they darken, add thyme or sage and sliced mushrooms with a splash of water to help them cook. Make gravy by adding it to the pan (or using flour and stock), allow it to boil and thicken, adding a tiny bit of jam/redcurrant jelly/whatever the duck you like that is sweet and slightly tangy (tamarind? Branston pickle would probably work, ffs).

We're onto onion recipes now. So soup. Making a stuffing that could be turned into a meatloaf, a meaty stuffing, something to put into a marrow or on halved courgettes....

Same with chicken. Spices and herbs to add rather than fancy sauces or cuts. Everything in the book would be complemented by something else in there or would use up the other half of the chicken or potatoes or softened onion or go well with the scones for tea.

It's about getting to know food rather than the machinery or process or cost or wittering on about places we can't afford to go to. What we eat at home when we aren't trying to impress anybody. The things we serve when a kid's mate comes to tea, when it's Friday and you're tired, when it's Saturday and you've got a bit more time to spend out there whilst games are being played on the TV or rooms are being reluctantly tidied and the cat is yelling at you for titbits.

Give us food, not a travelogue.

Give us Home.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.