Jack Monroe #351 Nobody should be donating to a character from a Pulp song

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
one of the ones she was saying she’d had was low alcohol not no alcohol though. The speckled hen one I think?
low alcohol beers are effectively no-alcohol beers. The speckled hen low alcohol beer specificies “no more than 0.5% alcohol”, which is a hint to the fact that its purpose is to be consumed by people who want to have as little alcohol as possible in their guilt-free beers. This is the wrong tree to bark up; people struggling with alcohol will drink alcohol free beers, and alcohol free beers generally have trace amounts of alcohol in them. Drinking them isn’t incompatible with being dry/sober, because A: there isn’t enough alcohol in them for them to have any meaningful impact on someone whose body is used to drinking moderately to heavily, and B: the aim in stopping drinking is to organise your life around a recalibrated relationship to alcohol dependency - alcohol free beers don’t actually provide a “hit” for the dependence.

tl;dr - this really isn’t an avenue worth pursuing, and in doing so, it’s not the alcoholic drinking 0.5 beers that looks bad in this instance. It’s all the other stuff that’s the issue

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I don't want you dead you silly twit, I'm locked into a rolling contract on slopbot.com. What do you expect me to do, get a real job instead of lampooning you? Don't think so pal.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 120
Sorry not had time to read between pages 22 and now but has Carol the publisher/therapist made an appearance of late. I do wonder if the incredibly overdue book that was due to go to print last week has actually been officially cancelled by Bluebird and she also has to now repay any advance she had received?

Sorry not had time to read between pages 22 and now but has Carol the publisher/therapist made an appearance of late. I do wonder if the incredibly overdue book that was due to go to print last week has actually been officially cancelled by Bluebird and she also has to now repay any advance she had received?
Dubious Carol was all over her cooing at the SPITE dedication she wanted to put in the book to people who had wronged her. At this point I think they'd publish Jack's bathtime farts as an audiobook just to have something to put out.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 44
She’s liked Jack’s pyramid stage tweet. But omg that’s an interesting point about the book possibly being cancelled, it would explain a LOT.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I don’t think that Jack has ADHD or autism. She has picked numerous diagnoses because she thinks it covers and excuses all aspects of her crappy, fraudulent behaviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Can't screenshot, but bless his heart...

"my respect and liking for you grows day by day. Also I opened fruit cocktail instead of peaches to go with the chickpea curry. Threw a few broken brazil in. Amazing. You the best."

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 49
Newcomer here, I don’t post on Twitter, just read it. I’ve kind of been amazed to watch this unfolding. Sorry, long post coming…
context - I’m a left leaning (would previously have said very left wing) man who has worked in care homes and with vulnerable/disabled kids in poor areas, and have been living hand to mouth most of my life, but now am in a much more fortunate position - I reckon this maybe gives me a bit of perspective that a lot of those who follow Jack and are used to being well off don’t have?

anyway, I’ve never really been a “fan” as such - I think if someone asked me what I thought of her before yesterday, I’d have said “oh, she seems fairly decent, though I think she’s a rich person’s idea of a poor person, and I didn’t ever really relate to her when I could have done with cutting costs”. I might have added that her non-binary identity raised an eyebrow and gave me slight vibes of (before knowing she still claimed poverty “ah, now she’s not vulnerable due to poverty, she’s found a way to still be vulnerable“ - and I‘ve met plenty of those types in my life, where every anecdote they have is a hard luck story, and every falling out they’ve ever had was a great betrayal by someone else.

so, when I saw the Awfully Molly thread yesterday, after initially getting a “hmmmmmmm“ spider-sense tingle of bullshit from Jack’s blog, it was quite a rabbit hole.
(one thing that is working against that thread though - while starting with the origin story makes sense narratively, it meant the first few tweets were kind of disposable noise about class identity, the good stuff was after many floating voters might have noped out)

but the craziest thing is not the tit storm it turned into, but the reactions of her apparent friends and supporters. To me, it’s irrelevant whether Awfully Molly is Katie Hopkins, Jacob Rees Mogg, an automated bot, a “TERF” or whatever. It’s just that it’s glaring that whoever pointed it all out, her friends shouldn’t be validating her behaviour and celebrating her ensuing meltdown, but recognising what is actually happening. Again - I had no dog in this fight and I’ve been catching up on these threads and been fascinated. But my interpretation - knowing a lot about ADHD, task avoidance related to it, combined with financial insecurity - is that Jack has basically got herself into an almighty mess. I imagine those who have been here long term would say different, but it’s likely to me that at least some of her intentions, at least some of the time, were good, but that the easy option - especially once there’s a passive income, celeb mates, and self categorisation into several brackets that are untouchable among progressives - week to week, day by day, was to bullshit and believe herself that she’d sort it later. Then escalation happens, she loses track of lies, spends money for the buzz of it and that’s when the tit hits the fan, and she revisits the “I’m in poverty” identity. So why the hell are those who should be phoning/dm’ing/visiting her to stage an intervention upon realising that whatever the motives of the person revealing it, there’s clearly something not right, instead just doing the most superficial “be kind” stuff and not even acknowledging that they’re looking the other way? Rihanna Pratchett for example, literally saying “yep, seen the thread” as if that’s that then, no need to say “and I was unconvinced by the screenshots because…” - just blatant reality denial. Like until there’s a front page headline in a Sunday tabloid, the narrative can be controlled.

the reason I don’t post on Twitter is because I can argue til the cows come home and would get waaaay too drawn in, and this makes me glad I dont. I could understand defenders saying tenuous stuff like “ah, but the reason the gin thing isn’t contradictory is because when she’s writing her recipes she uses a bit of licence, you can’t use that as demonstrating meaningful lies” - but they’re just flat out acting as if Jack’s “I don’t need to dignify this” really is a response. It’s like behind the scenes a few well placed blue ticks/high profile accounts have agreed “what we;re going to do is go with the ’dont give it oxygen’ line, so please nobody actually get into actually defending her against specifics, because it’ll look crazy. Don’t defend it at all, and then there’s always the chance that there’s a great defence in Jack’s head that she just doesn’t have the spoons to post”

anyway, apologies for long post, but on my catching up I’ve seen a lot of people wondering what impact yesterday is having on newcomers: suffice to say, if Jack’s blog yesterday hadnt been so hamfistedly transparent then out of “I remember poverty” empathy, I may well have actually pinged her a fiver. Instead I’ve ended up with the suspicion that added to my morning routine will be daily checking progress on whether the grift really gets noticed, and she’s held to account,
Catching up... but just wanted to say one word:

Lovely.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Can't screenshot, but bless his heart...

"my respect and liking for you grows day by day. Also I opened fruit cocktail instead of peaches to go with the chickpea curry. Threw a few broken brazil in. Amazing. You the best."
Taking a Jack recipe and somehow managing to make it worse is pretty impressive.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 39
Welcome! Gifts, I think. She’s been getting them for a few years, giving nothing in return in terms of Patreon content. Frauen have estimated an income of several thousands a month, conservatively.

Frauen I just read that Nokia blog and LOL at her boast that she has…a custom stab vest. CUSTOM, no less. Policewomen don’t get that, it’s one size which is designed for men, compressing their breasts, restricting breathing and inadequately protecting them. But OUR JACKIE is so special that SHE gets a custome one.

did she find it in a puddle?
HMRC consider Patreon to be taxable as payment for services. The fact the services don’t arrive is not the point. Also tips of any kind. These kofi and PayPal things are going to be looked at.

You can’t claim gifts from all and sundry - if you want to claim something is a non taxable gift it ideally should be recorded as such, with a reasonable relationship behind it that would lead to such a gift. If it’s above certain levels the gift giver needs to prove it is out of surplus income. Saying everything is a gift is not a get out of tax jail free card - they are onto it.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Gender identity, autism and alcoholism, oh my!!

jacks really chucking everything at this isn’t she. The grifter is on the ropes and she knows it

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Also I'm sure since Jack's website has been 'down', she's also managed to somehow update the most important part of it - the #awkward tip jar paragraph. Strange she can do this whilst not being able to upload recipes 🤔
Really strange, isn't it?* As someone pointed out on here the other day (sorry I'm unable to credit, can't remember who it was), many people may think oh, she's not earning anything from Ads so I'll pop a small tip in her jar instead - hence making it more profitable for her to let the site remain "broken".

Going back to Patreon 'cause it's been bugging me. She's got around 60 new patrons so far. I would hazard a guess that the majority didn't sign up at £1, not when they were doing it to either defend her or shore her up, given her pitiful situation and blog post.:rolleyes:
Just supposing she is being truthful ~she can't lie~ and that most many of her patrons pay £1/month. Someone like Mummy Nigella-from-the-bin would most likely be donating the highest tier, £44. If there is just ONE top payer for every 49 lowest ones, that's £49 + £44 per 50 donors. That's an average of just under £2 per person (£1.86 to be precise).
Even with 350 donors, with 7 of them paying £44 and the rest paying £1, it would bring her £651/month. For doing nothing except existing (and grifting). But let's be real - no way are 343 of her 350 patrons paying £1, I'd bet all my socks on it! 🧦

Didn't she say the other day "half of them don't pay the minimum, they pay less" or something like that? (Not quoting, just trying to recall what I read.) So let's play with some numbers (I like playing with numbers).;) I know there's already a spreadsheet - not trying to step on anyone's toes - just curious so I thought I'd play with some very low donor numbers while I had Excel open.😁

150 @ £1 £150
130 @ £3.50 £455
30 @ £7 £210
25 @ £10 £250
20 @ £12 £240
10 @ £24 £240
5 (!) @ £44 £220 - the handful of top tier donors drags the monthly average up dramatically!

370 donors, £1,765m / £21,180pa, less fees, taxable at current rates
FOR DOING NOTHING!

That's a VERY conservative estimate.

PS Please let me know if my numbers are incorrect, my mind is currently blown pumbled! 🥴

*Does anyone know of a second site where she posts recipes? :unsure: The other day I saw some she'd uploaded in April either 21 or 22 but I don't know which site it was on. I was cleaning my old bookmarks folder out as I knew I had some of her stuff saved from years ago - I know it's childish but I did enjoy deleting them.😁

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I saw this and it made me think .....
When Jack says I didn't, it wasn't, not me blah blah perhaps she genuinely in her forensically gifted mind thinks the problem has been addressed, then answer given and that's that.
The more I hear from her and of her the more I struggle to think of her as anything other than a petulant foot stamping child.
The logical argument made to her here is faultless.
She just knows she can’t address the points raised by Molly directly. How is she supposed to explain that whilst she was sleeping rough she was hosting coffee mornings ? The only way to explain that would be to admit that she lied. But that would be the crack that brings the whole pov story crashing down. And that’s what her entire career and income is built on.

The route she’s chosen, to deny but only partially, to rely on her FMs, and to plead disability, is really the classic liars route. It’s a really bad choice. She should either address everything or ignore it completely. Go all in or all out. The route she’s chosen is disastrous because detractors are just going to chip away at her bit by bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I don't want you dead you silly twit, I'm locked into a rolling contract on slopbot.com. What do you expect me to do, get a real job instead of lampooning you? Don't think so pal.
Same, I need this money. I'm a freelancer with huge expenses, £3.60 on the bus to the Polish shop, £69 to buy a new oven every month

• Haha
Reactions: 42
She just knows she can’t address the points raised by Molly directly. How is she supposed to explain that whilst she was sleeping rough she was hosting coffee mornings ? The only way to explain that would be to admit that she lied. But that would be the crack that brings the whole pov story crashing down. And that’s what her entire career and income is built on.

The route she’s chosen, to deny but only partially, to rely on her FMs, and to plead disability, is really the classic liars route. It’s a really bad choice. She should either address everything or ignore it completely. Go all in or all out. The route she’s chosen is disastrous because detractors are just going to chip away at her bit by bit.
She had the best appointed cardboard box in the whole of Southend.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.