Jack Monroe #312 She just throws adjectives at a page and hopes for the best

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There’s something not the full ticket with her to feel nothing about wearing £2k earrings to do paid media work in a foodbank she’s used to build her monetised brand. It’s a sickness.

Like even when the Kardashian Jenners or any real housewives franchise goes to do charitable work they’ll largely dress down in Nike-level brand athleisure because the alternative is grotesque.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 86
1% of her hundred hour working week is tweeting.
Jack - do a day in the life of. A real one . Not made up (difficult). Because this doesnt quite make sense

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
And if the Poors were so bleeping great at budgeting why would they need cooking lessons?
In the Radio 4 bit, I'm sure she said she goes into foodbanks to teach people how to budget? And in, like, the next sentence she's saying all the poors are experts in budgeting #makeitmakesense

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
Jack genuinely thinks her Twitter feed is a newspaper column doesn’t she?

The frequent references to ‘readers’ or ‘readership’ and the absolutely disgusting use of them that they’ll raise money in a heartbeat. That one sentence tells you everything you need to know about Jack’s Twitter. They are her casho cows.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
And people living in poverty, as Jack has started to call them, are not some homogeneous group who are great at budgeting.

Some are great, others are ok, others are dreadful. some poor people you will cross the street to avoid.

I hate this prettification of poverty.
I remember when she got angry at someone saying she portrayed an enid blyton (I think?) cosy poverty. Now she's doing exactly the same - painting everyone in poverty with the same brush.

Young homeless/vulnerably housed people I've worked with in the past were mostly useless at budgeting because no one had ever taught them. And they had a community who would chuck them a couple of quid for the chicken shop or they'd know which places did a lunch (only a couple a week here as we're in a small town). In some cases they knew which mate would give them some weed to sell so they could make a few quid. They had skills, they got by. But budgeting was often not one of those skills.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
In the Radio 4 bit, I'm sure she said she goes into foodbanks to teach people how to budget? And in, like, the next sentence she's saying all the poors are experts in budgeting #makeitmakesense
How she can make such a statement when she's constantly claiming her rent bounces and she's got CCJs! I'd rather not take budgeting advice off someone who clearly can't budget themselves.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
There’s something not the full ticket with her to feel nothing about wearing £2k earrings to do paid media work in a foodbank she’s used to build her monetised brand. It’s a sickness.

Like even when the Kardashian Jenners or any real housewives franchise goes to do charitable work they’ll largely dress down in Nike-level brand athleisure because the alternative is grotesque.
She said they were fakes on Twitter tho so she’s covered. The arrogance.

• Angry
  • Sick
She also said she's developed courses for the trusell trust on budgeting - why if poor people are so good at budgeting?!

Her prejudice was laid bare when the guy she was talking to said he used to be an aerospace engineer - she was so amazed. Forgetting her own origin story that "normal" people can fall into poverty.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
I remember when she got angry at someone saying she portrayed an enid blyton (I think?) cosy poverty. Now she's doing exactly the same - painting everyone in poverty with the same brush.

Young homeless/vulnerably housed people I've worked with in the past were mostly useless at budgeting because no one had ever taught them. And they had a community who would chuck them a couple of quid for the chicken shop or they'd know which places did a lunch (only a couple a week here as we're in a small town). In some cases they knew which mate would give them some weed to sell so they could make a few quid. They had skills, they got by. But budgeting was often not one of those skills.
There's a definite need to teach people these things (and not just the Poors either) It's a skill that's been largely lost with time and the wider availability of credit and Afterpay. Jack is most definitely not the person to be doing that though

Reactions: 22
What, there’s not ONE person working/volunteering in the food bank industry they could have interviewed?? Is she going to be wheeled out in another ten years’ time? I broke down in my car on a roundabout ten years ago, why is no one interviewing me on telly about the trauma?
EF104880-F79B-4C76-86BB-A34FD35373F5.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
1% of her hundred hour working week is tweeting.
Jack - do a day in the life of. A real one . Not made up (difficult). Because this doesnt quite make sense
Noon - get up and immediately log into Twitter
1pm - graphically describe all the disgusting, mouldy ingredients you’re planning on bunging in the slow cooker for dinner
2pm - do a chaos
3pm - check balance on PayPal. Patreon, tips on Twitter etc.
4pm - grunking on tattle and passive aggressively tweeting about something we’ve mentioned
5pm - post slop photo with recipe ‘coming soon’
5.01pm - throw out slop and order a deliveroo
6pm - several hours of telly time on Netflix which you don’t have
10pm - announce you’re going to bed because today has been ‘exhausting’
2am - go through Twitter, liking tweets that mention you in a positive light and stay up until the wee hours enjoying the dopamine rush

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71
Just in case anyone has these ingredients -
"roast chicken scraps thumbed off the carcass, chicken stock, a can of chickpeas plus minus the goop, red pepper, tiny tomatoes cut into even tinier pieces, lemon + Greek cheese"
It would be cheaper and far, far more delicious (and take under 10 hours) to just serve that with bulgur wheat or similar (use the chicken stock to soak the bulgur in). You're welcome 🥰

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
Well, we knew that "see you tomorrow" tweet from the food bank was about her rather than them

• Sad
Reactions: 29
I've noticed this too with accounts fanatically defending her. There's been a few I've spotted that joined Twitter this month, and have the same OTT way of writing about her. Definitely suspicious.
A lot seemed to pop up after her collab with twitter, but I'm sure that's just a massive co-inky-dink.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
She also said she's developed courses for the trusell trust on budgeting - why if poor people are so good at budgeting?!
Just throwing in a reminder that her food suggestions are often convoluted and wasteful too. We don’t joke about rinsing beans for nothing.

Also sick of her ‘people on poverty are excellent at budgeting’ claims. Some aren’t. It’s not a case of poor = good, organised, and not poor = bad, frivolous.

It’s almost like you can’t make sweeping generalisations about an entire group of people.

Does Jack even know anyone who is poor these days? On a close, personal level?
Yeah, that pisses me off. That's the current line from the privileged left isn't it - the poor are virtuous and organised and hard working! Such a basic take made solely in to position themselves against the Tories and the feckless poor narrative. Of course it's bullshit. Intergenerational poverty is increasing. Families lack knowledge and have nothing - nothing material AND no knowledge - to pass to on to their children. Many young people especially need practical help with cooking, budgeting, basic life admin. Somehow saying that out loud makes you a Tory these days though, and so we're stuck with Jack Splatt on Radio 4 and nothing changes.

Added: Many are making this point, Cucumber is spot on.

Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.