Jack Monroe #242 Sell the Burberry jacket, pay your taxes and polish your spoons.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can I please interject and share the magnificent advert for the Squatty Potty
omg this ad was all over the internet for a while! the image of a unicorn pooping has been replaying in my brain ever since I saw that pic of Jack's bathroom and now I know why so thank you, dear heart

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I grew up in a house without central heating and it was always chilly making the trip to the bathroom. You needed a dressing gown and slippers and extra blankets. There was a night I had come home from uni and I was in my old bed, fully dressed with all my clothes piled on top of me to get warm. And I was still cold. I can remember it vividly. I’m fortunate to be able to heat my home but I know there are people in bed trying to warm up but cold tonight and trying to keep their kids warm.
I remember getting the keys to my first council house late 90s and it had no central heating, didn't realise I had to ask for one with it.
Gave the keys back and got another round the corner 2 weeks later.
It's madness to think someone's thermostat is under lock and key or kids are going to bed in mold ridden dumps while she's cos playing poor Annie.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
-2 in Cardiff right now. I’m living on Universal Credit but am managing well enough to keep the place warm, for which I count my blessings. Also just today got confirmation that I’ve been allotted Winter Fuel Support.
Infuriates me that there are people genuinely struggling in freezing cold homes and quite possibly people who might die on the streets in weather like this but Jack Monroe’s all over tv and social media with her lies and her lip filler

• Heart
Reactions: 65
God, once again the poverty has grown arms and legs.
Drinking formula (that foodbank are not allowed to give out and is not for toddlers even if they did) has got to be one of her more disgusting lies is bad enough but now we have using newspapers as sanitary towels, gently nibbling stockcubes and stealing food from bins.

Of course if that was true, SBs dad letting his son be fed from a foodbank directly contradicts the narrative he is a fantastic guy.

Oh, and why would the six sugars in your tea be the only calories on a day when you were at the foodbank. The foodbank give you food to take home and eat.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Her research is so much bullshit the more I think about it. I have a coop and a spar near me. There are things you simply don’t buy in one or the other. Toilet roll is a big no in the coop as the spar have better deals and I would never buy a bottle of Heinz tomato ketchup in the spar (an essential in my house) as it is about double the price. Her ‘research’ is going round to her local shop. If she can afford to spunk £100 on spoons she can afford a bus fare to a decent supermarket or at least get delivery in. And I know during covid that I had family members who were shielding who qualified for free deliveries in sainsburys and the like so I’m sure she could if she had all those ailments she talks about
Absolutely this. Me rail alert! My main shop is Aldi but it's not reachable on foot because we live in a rural food desert with just a newsagent and extortionate tiny co op nearby. Our situation is further complicated by lack of regular public transport but we are lucky enough to be able to afford a car. Furthermore, I can't get everything I need at Aldi so I have to go to Asda or Tesco depending on who has what in stock or on deal. And I HAVE to do this because Aldi do not sell high fat dairy free milk for my lactose intolerance child who struggles to maintain weight. Nor do they sell the ready salted crisps that have a high enough calorie content or a salty enough flavour for my child with oral aversion. When there was a crisp shortage recently, a lot of us mums with ASD/disabled children had a hard time sourcing the products needed. Same during the pandemic. We are a vegan family with the exception of one member and often we have to do the main shop at Aldi but top up elsewhere as Aldi's vegan range can be limited outside of January. Jack makes out its a one size fits all scenario but does not take into account different diets, health conditions and additional needs. She has based this entire data explosion on her own experiences and what is worse, the media have fallen for this and are passing it off as real research. You could not make this up, it is so ridiculous. I've got to hand it to Jack, she really is a very successful con woman * she could almost give Mickey Bricks a run for his money ( I would love to see that, shame he is fictional).

* not something to be proud of or continue Jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
I’ll do the new thread in a mo, just waiting for a few more posts…

I’m tired. New thread ⬇⬇

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I grew up in a house without central heating and it was always chilly making the trip to the bathroom. You needed a dressing gown and slippers and extra blankets. There was a night I had come home from uni and I was in my old bed, fully dressed with all my clothes piled on top of me to get warm. And I was still cold. I can remember it vividly. I’m fortunate to be able to heat my home but I know there are people in bed trying to warm up but cold tonight and trying to keep their kids warm.
Big hugs ❤ I grew up like that too, we had no heating, no double glazing and mould crawling up the walls (this was 1990s Edinburgh so not that long ago). We put curtains, coats and blankets on the bed at night and my siblings and I shared a double bed, it was still freezing. Jack truly has no idea. I'll do anything to make sure my kids don't experience that, my disabled child has a severe lung condition so a draughty home would be detrimental to say the least. I'll pay whatever I have to prevent that, which means no lipfillers or cotswolds for me (don't want them anyway).

Jack mentioned meter payments and gas but failed to mention the extortionate wet heating and oil systems which are currently in many rural Scottish council homes and cost hundreds per week (yes really). Councils are cash strapped and refusing to change a lot of these systems over to gas which would be cheaper. A lot of the occupants are in debt and reliant on foodbanks, many have children and health issues. Its a scandal which is not getting enough media attention but of course its not a problem in the South of England which is also naturally warmer than Scotland. Jack has the privilege of location too. I'm waffling a bit now but Jack Monroe by Jack Monroe is eclipsing everyone else and it's sickening. There are far more deserving people in the UK whose stories need to be heard. Why can't the BBC interview someone living with a wet heating system or an immigrant family who are not aware of their rights and are being exploited by a Slumlord or a real single mother who needs to visit foodbanks regularly. Why does it always have to be Jack, beholder of the latest tech, massive house and aesthetic enhancements.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.