Jack Monroe #237 Cycles through personalities like a dying Terminator

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There are so many decent vegan recipes, you would just skip past an unveganable dairy-heavy one, wouldn't you? (100% vegan Frauen, please say if I am being insensitive?)
Not insensitive at all! Completely agree.

Also, vegan choccies are always more expensive, I ain't wasting them in crappy rocky road!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
We got over the “chocolate no one likes” thing by doing the handy dandy personalised quality street tins where you pick your chocs.

Neither of us are big chocolate eaters and they are long gone.

We didn’t buy any other chocs because, as above, neither of us are big chocolate eaters? So why would we? Honestly this waste culture at Christmas is sickening. Stop harping over leftovers and sort the problem at the source- buying tit you won’t ever eat.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Jack producing recipes for her website:

Screenshot_20220106-192910_Chrome.jpg

Jack being paid to write recipes:

E625CC26-5CEB-43D1-93D8-0BBE44B0B0C6.jpeg

Somewhere there is a happy medium between googling the dictionary definition of emulsion and pour it over the biscuits etc (by "etc" she appears to mean ingredients that she has not, and will not, mention in the recipe). Pretty much every other recipe writer can find it. Why can't Jack?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
Why bother to say that a recipe can "easily be made vegan" when it objectively can't?

I'm an omnivore and have no serious allergies so in theory I CAN eat anything, but there are various (loads, I'm quite picky) of things that I prefer not to eat. If I come across a recipe for, say, mushroom and courgette omelette with black pudding I'll just go "not for me thanks" and look for a recipe that uses ingredients I do like instead. I could sub out the mushrooms, courgettes, eggs and black pudding for different ingredients, but why would I bother? Plenty of other recipes out there. Same goes if a recipe calls for a particular type of kitchen gadget that I don't have, or expensive ingredients, or not-very-versatile ingredients that only come in huge packets. I'll just look elsewhere, right?

There are so many decent vegan recipes, you would just skip past an unveganable dairy-heavy one, wouldn't you? (100% vegan Frauen, please say if I am being insensitive?)
Reminds me of this

Screenshot_20220109-172315_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 104

View attachment 977232

View attachment 977233

Somewhere there is a happy medium between googling the dictionary definition of emulsion and pour it over the biscuits etc (by "etc" she appears to mean ingredients that she has not, and will not, mention in the recipe). Pretty much every other recipe writer can find it. Why can't Jack?
Well we deffo know she doesn't know what a roux is.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Whenever she produces recipes like this I realise once again that she can't have ever been vegan. Most Christmas chocolate isn't vegan. Vegan chocolates (not dark chocolate bars, but equivalents of quality street etc.) are really expensive and not that easy to find. No vegan would ever use chocs up in this way. Honestly, I'm a longterm vegan who doesn't love dark chocolate. I usually get some gorgeous but expensive chocolate for Christmas and my birthday and it's such a treat.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Nigella is the same, she's like I've made it the most delicious on purpose with the ingredients listed why would I tell you what to substitute any of them with, that will make a completely different dish.

Also Nigel has probably spent ages testing this recipe, so it's an insult to ask him to just change it on a whim.

Jack has no idea what flavour is and tests nothing so everything is easily replaced because it didn't taste good anyway so a replacement won't matter.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
Literally not a single one of the 6 main ingredients in that recipe is vegan by default (if you err on the side of honey not being vegan - that's not an argument for here). When you have to replace 100% of the ingredients with alternatives, it's a different recipe. 🤦‍♀️

Can't wait for her pulled pork* recipe.

*replace huge slab of pork for vegan alternative

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Emulsification is the process of the dispersal of one liquid in another immiscible liquid. Her definition, which she no doubt deliberately looked for is that process but in the digestive system so utilises complex terminology.

She is such a tool, science is fun and tax is really hard.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
Isn’t rocky road usually brown? It’s great she’s experimenting with a range of food colours, and Moms recipe. She should have ruined done fifteens.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24

View attachment 977232

View attachment 977233

This has triggered me. I’m getting flashbacks to the whizzing flour, water, Marge/oil/butter/whatever, rinds of Brie etc etc and then freezing it.
Is she now saying she knows how to make a roux but chooses instead to make *this* 👆🏼👆🏼

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
Whenever she produces recipes like this I realise once again that she can't have ever been vegan. Most Christmas chocolate isn't vegan. Vegan chocolates (not dark chocolate bars, but equivalents of quality street etc.) are really expensive and not that easy to find. No vegan would ever use chocs up in this way. Honestly, I'm a longterm vegan who doesn't love dark chocolate. I usually get some gorgeous but expensive chocolate for Christmas and my birthday and it's such a treat.
Not a vegan, but no I wouldn’t be wasting the Bouja-Bouja like that
Really want Bouja-Bouja now and all I have is a bar of green and blacks

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I concur my son's teacher is vegan and I bought all the teachers chocolate for Christmas hers was the most expensive yet the smallest.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Isn’t rocky road usually brown? It’s great she’s experimenting with a range of food colours, and Moms recipe. She should have ruined done fifteens.
Fifteens are fifteens. Literally cannot sub out ingredients or it’s not fifteens. Paws off Jackie.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.