Jack Monroe #236 You absolute whelksplat!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why is she air-drying the stuffing then deep-frying it? Where logic?!

Anyway, Jack's website crisis has led to a LOT of her archives suddenly being online. I've been screenshotting my way through them for a few days, without saying anything here in case they mysteriously vanished again. A lot to unpack soon! But today - in the spirit of Jack's recent rants about non-alcoholic drinks - I have a treat for our teetotal Frauen:

View attachment 968787

Just imagine turning up to a party, mentioning your sobriety, and being given a glass of Sainsbury's Basics vinegar. Cheers!
Surely this is absolutely horrendous for your teeth?

Not to mention the acidity in your stomach after that!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 27
The everybody falls off the wagon comment!?! Isn’t this a terrible thing to say to someone in recovery? (I hope one of our knowledgeable AA fraus can answer.)

I’ll hold my hands up and say that I am lucky to have not had issues with alcohol, however I have had MH struggles. I have set goals in the past to help overcome whatever I was facing at the time, the two hardest things with setting any goal is motivation and consistency. If someone I looked up to was commenting to me on social media telling me “it’s ok, everyone fails” it’s as good as giving you a free pass to give up, because everyone does it. For someone who’s in a vulnerable place those words are dangerous. No one needs support like that. Why doesn’t she think before she speaks?

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Sorry to always write essays on AA and there are more of us here who have different stories / more time in - there’s no one authority and this isn’t in right Jack’s wrong, it’s I’m well and incredibly concerned about the vulnerable people she has a) influenced cosplaying as someone years into recovery b) is currently influencing as a newcomer. She’s actually predatory it’s sick.
I always appreciate your take on AA stuff (& @TurnedUpInTipp's, @LennyBriscoe's, although I know our favourite detective is taking a well-deserved break from the thread). Honestly it's great to have Frauen here who have worked the programme and turned their lives around, if anyone vulnerable is reading this you guys always have practical things to say, which is a million miles from Jack's dangerous claptrap.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
She got 68k in a kickstarter!? 😲🥺
Yes, the public coughed up £68k for Cooking on a Bootstrap, which she said she was going to self-publish, but she then got a publishing deal for it so was paid twice for the same product. The one she got the publishing deal on was in the shops before the kickstarter one, it was in colour with photos unlike the kickstarter one and IIRC it was at a lower price point. Many people who supported her via the kickstarter complained when years went by and they never received anything, and she posted and emailed loads of passive aggressive updates which detailed how her health was failing and could people stop BULLYING her etc. God knows where all the money went and God knows why it wasn't picked up by any papers - although the Guardian, for example, completely enabled her by publicising the kickstarter from the beginning. You can read some of the updates here

and some complaints here

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
If she got paid twice for the same book, and at least one of those times was to the tune of 68k, why didn't she just buy a house?

I do not understand what she has done with all of that money?

• Heart
Reactions: 51
If she got paid twice for the same book, and at least one of those times was to the tune of 68k, why didn't she just buy a house?

I do not understand what she has done with all of that money?
Keeping Cotswold afloat

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Also pointing out what a privilege receiving multiple lump sums of cash is - those are windfall sums and allow you to reach financial goals so much quicker but also more cost effectively. Eg bigger deposit lower LTV = access to better interest rates. She’s wasted several chances of a lifetime

Reactions: 66
Yes, the public coughed up £68k for Cooking on a Bootstrap, which she said she was going to self-publish, but she then got a publishing deal for it so was paid twice for the same product. The one she got the publishing deal on was in the shops before the kickstarter one, it was in colour with photos unlike the kickstarter one and IIRC it was at a lower price point. Many people who supported her via the kickstarter complained when years went by and they never received anything, and she posted and emailed loads of passive aggressive updates which detailed how her health was failing and could people stop BULLYING her etc. God knows where all the money went and God knows why it wasn't picked up by any papers - although the Guardian, for example, completely enabled her by publicising the kickstarter from the beginning. You can read some of the updates here

and some complaints here

Didn't she say most of the £68k went on postage (for books that mysteriously never arrived after vanishing into the black hole that is the Southend postal service)? Then asked overseas backers to pay additional postage, two years after they should have had their books!

When you add to that the numerous "I'm lugging suitcases full of books to the post office 17 times a day in the pouring rain with two broken legs and a prolapsed anus, I HOPE THOSE OF YOU COMPLAINING ARE PROUD OF YOURSELVES" posts, I'm still astonished she got away with the whole thing.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 92

and some complaints here

I love all the responses where Caroline tells people they need to get back to her by the 31st of October as there are very few copies left and the rest are being pulped donated to food banks, after people have waited absolutely ages for their book. What an absolute shambles, though I do feel sorry for anyone who has to work with Jack.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 51
Air. Dried. Stuffing.

Do not read if you’re eating or are @MancBee : I hope the brambly mice don’t pay the boiler cupboard a visit. Teeny tiny mouse poo would add a certain :sick:piquancy

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
I love all the responses where Caroline tells people they need to get back to her by the 31st of October as there are very few copies left and the rest are being pulped donated to food banks, after people have waited absolutely ages for their book. What an absolute shambles, though I do feel sorry for anyone who has to work with Jack.
I don’t. They all enable the sham.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.