Jack Monroe #235 Goggleslop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm a tiny bit younger than Jack and until about Year 9 we did extensively use the land line to chat - ringing each other when it was the cheaper rate times. So I think for once this is pretty legit. Mobile phone texts were still like 10p and even to ring someone on pay as you go was expensive. Why would I waste my credit on calling a friend when we were both in our houses and could just do so on the landline!

However, as soon as MSN became a thing my parent's house phone became a Boomer only zone 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
We had a lock on the phone so we couldn't dial it but lifting the receiver and tapping the numbers into the 'black things' (Name escapes me or I never knew) would 'dial' the number for you.
Yeah I remember doing this too

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
We had a lock on the phone so we couldn't dial it but lifting the receiver and tapping the numbers into the 'black things' (Name escapes me or I never knew) would 'dial' the number for you.
You've just prompted a memory for me, we had a little 'black thing' about the size of a matchbox? And you put the numbers in and then held it to the receiver. It was supposed to dial for you and you'd get sneaky free calls? Think I was only about 7 or so, had forgotten all about those 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm a tiny bit younger than Jack and until about Year 9 we did extensively use the land line to chat - ringing each other when it was the cheaper rate times. So I think for once this is pretty legit. Mobile phone texts were still like 10p and even to ring someone on pay as you go was expensive. Why would I waste my credit on calling a friend when we were both in our houses and could just do so on the landline!

However, as soon as MSN became a thing my parent's house phone became a Boomer only zone 😂
I have Sybil goals going on right here....😁

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31

Ahh MSN messenger - logging in and out so your crush might notice you - those were the days!!

• Haha
Reactions: 43
“Expert in everything” is what my grandad used to call the “pub bore” which is probably why I associate Jack with that insistent head who wants to talk at you about their poorly formed world view usually found in the pub, but also inhabits waiting rooms, delayed trains, driving a taxi or anywhere you can be trapped in conversation for 5 mins.
I think the instant expert tit is actually part of narcissist grandiosity in Jack’s case.
I also think her comment “I’m not the face of AA” is a giveaway that she does in fact want to be the face of AA
This is spot on. In fact, I remember seeing someone comment a while back (not sure if it was here or Mumsnet) about how Jack was regarded as the pub bore at the Groucho, getting increasingly loud and drunk and holding court, boring everyone senseless. I can well imagine it.
I think sanctimonious, pontificating Jack is the absolute worst of her many ghastly iterations. How DARE she appoint herself as the expert on sobriety?? She herself has not only failed multiple times to keep off the booze (no shame in that - but it certainly doesn’t mean she can lecture others), but she also lied and lied and lied about it, claiming umpteen times that she was “x days sober” when she was drinking all the time. Not to mention what was going on with the other substances. All those times when we thought she was drunk or “on” something, the dino naps, etc. And she was claiming she was sober all the time.
She’s a liar and a hypocrite.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 69
wow this was quite a catch up. i think jack loves the drama and glory of being ‘newly’ sober - being sober for years doesn’t garner enough attention for her. i’m sure this won’t be the last time…

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 56
Ahh MSN messenger - logging in and out so your crush might notice you - those were the days!!
That's pretty much how Jack treats Twitter.

Kids today just don't know the sheer horror of the family landline, phones with cords, and having to ask for who you wanted to speak to. Ugh. That was beyond hideous. Especially for nefarious teenage business. Trying to arrange that whilst both parties are in the communal area where the phone was kept, and people listening in. Not sure they could cope!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
wow this was quite a catch up. i think jack loves the drama and glory of being ‘newly’ sober - being sober for years doesn’t garner enough attention for her. i’m sure this won’t be the last time…
You mean, she wants all of the attention and pats on the back without having to do any of the actual work?

So unlike her... 😋

• Haha
Reactions: 35
neville southall, massive following, tweets a lot about MH and addiction, just retweeted this. is this the year of the squiggle uprising?!

20220102_141950.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 126
Hotes, how dare you cast nasturtiums on me! When have I ever lied before? Alright, the slopcoin investment hasn't come good yet but that's not to say it never will and until you can prove otherwise you are libellous and I'll have you know that's ILLEGAL!

Edit: I'm faxing all your posts to 1 Israel Street as we speak.
I'm just quoting this to say I appreciate the 'casting nasturtiums' reference immensely.

As for the rest of it, I think this is probably the worst version of Jack ever. I had a lot more to comment on but it ended up being a bit of a triggering me-rail for me re: what she claims she's also addicted to and I'm actually in a way better place now, there just hasn't been a lot of time between the bad and the good for me to burst onto Twitter giving poor advice to people and so I will just say I'm glad I've got you lot so I can now scroll past her shite and just read everyone's comments on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
The instant expert will at some point go on about how they didn’t go to some fancy university; they learned all they know at the “school of life” scouse haus fraus will be familiar with a place which proudly calls itself “the college of knowledge” which is where such types congregate.

ETA go’Ed Nev

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.