Jack Monroe #213 Something for nothing is her USP

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know it can feel overwhelming but it can all be done online (I know you all know this, but just in case anyone who's daft enough to be ~influenced~ by Jack is reading). Sure, you can spend hours checking out which is the best insurance to get (who are most likely to try to avoid paying out versus which is cheapest) but at the end of the day you just select the policy which is right for you, organise a direct debit, and that's it DONE! They just automatically renew the policy each year and if you have the time / energy you can change the policy if you want down the line but in the meantime - you're covered. And *that* is peace of mind!
Absolutely! As someone with ADHD, I did actually put off contents insurance for an embarrassing amount of time when I was RENTING. That's no excuse btw, I have to organise parts of my life with "military" like fashion and this part slipped - only me to blame.

However, insurance comparison sites make it so easy nowadays. It honestly took me about 10 minutes to sort out and I don't even think about it now thanks to direct debit.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Just posted to Instagram
What a load of old 💩 the shed looks like it would blow down in a strong wind, she can well afford contents insurance, she has posted about all this new gear all over the internet, chains and locks are not expensive. I don’t believe it, it’s just for the sympathy, tip jar rattle

Reactions: 39
I listened to a few minutes but duck me, her voice! Is she on the verge of tears, bunged up, pished? I can't decide. Or it's all 3 or it's massive adenoids. It's all me me me again as well. I got a standing ovation, I'm amazing, I'm valid, yada yada bollocks 😴
I agree. The way in which she phrased it seemed very '60s America' to me rather than what would be said in England.

Her voice is awful, she just speaks through her nose (as well as her arse) so much.
Is it likely that someone who's had to face what's been noted here on Jack's unending misfortune, gifts and puddles ever have to contend with issues such as this- Why providers might reject your insurance claim?

What would be the consequences for future eligibility? Sure there'd be providers but at a cost.

Filling out a comparison site insurance quote with a semblance of accuracy would prob be like an internal enhanced interrogation for them.
it makes me wonder if in the past she has had contents insurance and claim after claim went in. Which has pushed the cost of insurance up and up.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
Luxuries like contents insurance…

But a water rower (known to be the most useless and most expensive type of rowing machine is currently retailing at £1049 in JL and is ~generally~ only bought by those who are mainly interested in aesthetics) is not a luxury.

Okay then.

(this is not an #ad or a #paidpartnership for concept 2 by the way).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
I know it can feel overwhelming but it can all be done online (I know you all know this, but just in case anyone who's daft enough to be ~influenced~ by Jack is reading). Sure, you can spend hours checking out which is the best insurance to get (who are most likely to try to avoid paying out versus which is cheapest) but at the end of the day you just select the policy which is right for you, organise a direct debit, and that's it DONE! They just automatically renew the policy each year and if you have the time / energy you can change the policy if you want down the line but in the meantime - you're covered. And *that* is peace of mind!
But Jack was poor 10 years ago, in case you hadn't heard. People who have been poor years ago can't take out insurance because of the trauma.

Or something like that. 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: 48
How did she pronounce envelop? 😬 Is it going to make me cringe like when she called us a cable not a cabal?
Morning! I’ve calmed down a bit now! She said that Diane Abbot was so happy about Jack’s article that she ‘enveloped’ her in a hug ( 📩 📧📨💌 ) as opposed to ‘envelop’ed, as in cover completely. In her mind they’re spelled the same, so they’re said the same, LOL!

Words are words, eh? Cable, cabal. What malapropisms does she do? There’s a few, I think.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't most estate agents require you to prove you have contents insurance? everywhere I've ever RENTED has made me provide a policy number when handing over the keys. I remember desperately calling up Churchill in the car outside the office on moving day after I'd forgotten. I guess she could have let it lapse and not renew, but to claim she's never had it cos poor is ridiculous.

• Wow
Reactions: 37
I guess she could have let it lapse and not renew, but to claim she's never had it cos poor is ridiculous.
I do wonder if she's always made her SO sort out stuff like this. But I think when she was last talking about not having insurance, LJC hadn't LEFT yet?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Just has a look back, I think it's around the time of her Jerry Hall hairdresser / gifted Emin story that prompted us all to advise she gets content insurance. But also around the time of her first week of DKL, when someone on twitter noticed that the fitting of her oven wasn't up to safety standards (my personal fear would have been a fire - this is from previous experience when I had a tenement flat and not long after I moved out there was a massive fire in the flat above me, the owner of which had let her insurance lapse and it took literal YEARS for the other people in the building to be able to get their own flats repaired, it was an absolute nightmare which I was lucky enough to have missed by a matter of months). The issue with Jack is she's completely tight when it comes to such things - she's generous to herself with the high end products but when it comes to the usual direct debits that normal people pay up on as a matter of course, she's always trying to avoid coughing up.
She's a completely irresponsible human, as demonstrated throughout these threads.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Her priorities are weird. If she can afford a shed full of equipment like that (do these not count as “luxuries” then?), she can afford a few pounds per month for insurance
Absolutely this; not one, but two good camping stoves sound like luxuries to me! She’s not poor and has a house crammed with fridges and sideboards - make it make sense, Jacko!

And yet again, there was the twinge of sympathy, because being burgled is awful. But a supposed ally throwing the n-word out there in an interview? No. My black backside says that word is NEVER to be spoken. 😡

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
Other expensive things that she's regularly posted on SM and would be kept in shed...

Expensive 'gifted' pizza oven that she used once.
Hammock
Two 'egg' chairs from Aldi that were actually quite pricey.
Bbq.
Lawnmower, although she's apparently just bought a new one.
If she did have insurance they would've laughed the claim out of the office.
A girl I work with used to work for an insurance company and her main job was to trawl through people's socials to see if they'd broadcast that they'd been on holiday when the break in occurred. Makes the policy null and void.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't most estate agents require you to prove you have contents insurance? everywhere I've ever RENTED has made me provide a policy number when handing over the keys. I remember desperately calling up Churchill in the car outside the office on moving day after I'd forgotten. I guess she could have let it lapse and not renew, but to claim she's never had it cos poor is ridiculous.
Tbf I've never had to do this but maybe I've just had some dodgy landlords 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Why does everything have to come back to the poverty? If she was burgled (sp), that's terrible but why can't she just say she didn't have insurance? If you have been poor, but can now, admittedly, afford luxuries why would insurance be the luxury that you can't afford? I'll admit here and now, I don't have insurance, I tried to get it years ago but they asked me what kind of roof I have and I never got round to contacting the landlord (I RENT) but I would fully accept that it is my stupidity if anything happens, not some reason, dubious at best, that is based in the long lost past.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I have some insurance through my bundled bank account, and some more with my very basic credit card, which is something you don't get with GoHenry.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I have some insurance through my bundled bank account, and some more with my very basic credit card, which is something you don't get with GoHenry.
Has the ig post been deleted? I can’t see it there.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.