Jack Monroe #198 Marcus! Marcus! Marcus!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought clubs made players get good financial advice now to plan life after football as so many have ended up broke when they retire.

Reactions: 21
Marcus already got negative press a year or two ago for spending millions on a property portfolio for his family (seems a reasonable way to invest your cash to me 🤷🏼‍♀️ he can’t kickyball forever ) I think the tabloids tried to have a field day about it because they disproportionately complain about how successful rich black men conduct their lives.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Marcus already got negative press a year or two ago for spending millions on a property portfolio for his family (seems a reasonable way to invest your cash to me 🤷🏼‍♀️ he can’t kickyball forever ) I think the tabloids tried to have a field day about it because they disproportionately complain about how successful rich black men conduct their lives.
What a bastard not buying Jack a forever home too after they taught him to dance and make manky meatballs. Liberty!

• Haha
Reactions: 45
This is why I originally brought up the Belle Gibson doc, if some doc maker took the time to scrutinise Jack, they'd have enough material for a full Netflix true crime series!

(Crimes against food obvs)
Booming voiceover: She was the darling of the budget cooking set...
*Shot of a smiling Jack cooking a pan full of Smartprice sausages*
Voiceover: Until it all went wrong...
*Black and white footage of Jack slumped over a sideboard, can of 2% Sainsbury's value lager in hand.*
Voiceover: This is the story of Jack: Princess of Poverty

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I think the tabloids tried to have a field day about it because they disproportionately complain about how successful rich black men conduct their lives.
Exactly this. Of course Marcus shouldn’t be above reproach, but with this article being from the Spectator of all places it’s likely it was written with an agenda.
I‘m kind of glad Jack’s not said anything in his defence because look how well that went last time, and the time before that. She’s also not tweeted at all since the 12th of July, I can’t get over that being normal now, we used to notice if she’d not tweeted within 24 hours.

Booming voiceover: She was the darling of the budget cooking set...
*Shot of a smiling Jack cooking a pan full of Smartprice sausages*
Voiceover: Until it all went wrong...
*Black and white footage of Jack slumped over a sideboard, can of 2% Sainsbury's value lager in hand.*
Voiceover: This is the story of Jack: Princess of Poverty
Omg!! Started laughing out loud at “booming voiceover“ and didn’t stop the whole way through!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Very late to the party and totally OT but I just remembered another favourite Jack moment, which was actually a coven moment:
One Frau had once again succesfully triangulated an item that Jack had purchased and pasted the John Lewis link into the thread. When I looked at it I was a bit behind due to grunking but John Lewis had a note on the item that it was currently trending high because x amount of people had just viewed it. A quick cross-check revealed that the number was nearly identical to the amount of Frauen and Herren who had been active on the thread.
I laughed so hysterically in the middle of the night that...the cat declared it the best joke ever.

• Haha
Reactions: 79
John Lewis had a note on the item that it was currently trending high because x amount of people had just viewed it. A quick cross-check revealed that the number was nearly identical to the amount of Frauen and Herren who had been active on the thread.
I laughed so hysterically in the middle of the night that...the cat declared it the best joke ever.
Awkward moment when Jack's possessions have gone viral but she still didn't 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 49
I thought it was fairly commonplace for big sport stars to channel earnings through company structures nowadays - it helps control stuff like copyrights and merchandising too, as well as tax payments - we only have to look at our Jack to see it’s beneficial.

I can see why it might be attractive to have a go at Marcus if his earnings are treated as such but I dare say there are very few people altruistic enough to channel their earnings through a PAYE scheme when it’s in excess of £100-200k a week.

I hope it’s is nothing more than that. I would hate to see one of these dodgy Gary Barlow/Jimmy Carr set ups connected to him.
Players contracts with their clubs will be salaries under PAYE - it’s why whenever a club goes under one of the biggest creditors is HMRC as they probably haven’t paid over the tax on all the players salaries. It’s the image rights not owned by the club that have tripped people up in the past but those schemes don’t work any more after some high profile cases. I don’t think he’s done anything dodgy about tax in short. They are probsbly just going to list the people who have paid him and link them to his campaigning and say he did it all for the cash. But then he is at the top of the giving list having donated 125% of what he earned this year (not sure how that works) but the Sunday Times have calculated it as such. Visited Twitter (urgh) and most of the traffic I saw was defending him.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
I think it’s hard to see why nobody looks into Jack and joins the dots but it’s much easier to do that here when everything is collected and in one place. On the face of it, it doesn’t seem fair that nobody called into question whether she donated the money to Magic Breakfast or whether she profited off the back of the free school meals stuff but I guess she’s not that important
It’s interesting. Idk how she’s managed to go by unscathed when she literally has a limited company named after her Tory ideaology, through which she earns money pushing those myths and raking in the corporate cash all the while perpetuating dangerous myths about how poor people can just fix their situation with a few tins and £20 a week - all the while she’s paying tax at preferential rates to those PAYE low income families? She has a Patreon page begging for donations to continue “her work” when someone else has calculated (soz forgot your @ ❤) that she’s done 5 recipes this year, for her brand deals with companies such as UNILEVER and Del Monte. She’s only ever been cited in the one government research project and that was as an am dram quote, nothing of any real worth, so what exactly are they sponsoring? For a middle class journo adjacent to not have to work? Every month in our Patreon data (that I need to dump on the thread at some point soz forgot) we see that she has 1/2/3 people rejoin in the day or two after payment date where their payment has failed at month end. These are not the people that should be funding Jack Monroe’s week long jollies to the east end, Groucho membership, or John Lewis habit.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
It’s interesting. Idk how she’s managed to go by unscathed when she literally has a limited company named after her Tory ideaology, through which she earns money pushing those myths and raking in the corporate cash all the while perpetuating dangerous myths about how poor people can just fix their situation with a few tins and £20 a week - all the while she’s paying tax at preferential rates to those PAYE low income families? She has a Patreon page begging for donations to continue “her work” when someone else has calculated (soz forgot your @ ❤) that she’s done 5 recipes this year, for her brand deals with companies such as UNILEVER and Del Monte. She’s only ever been cited in the one government research project and that was as an am dram quote, nothing of any real worth, so what exactly are they sponsoring? For a middle class journo adjacent to not have to work? Every month in our Patreon data (that I need to dump on the thread at some point soz forgot) we see that she has 1/2/3 people rejoin in the day or two after payment date where their payment has failed at month end. These are not the people that should be funding Jack Monroe’s week long jollies to the east end, Groucho membership, or John Lewis habit.
What happened to the super secret but uber important think tank Jack was spouting on about a couple of months ago? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Jack is the hero none of us asked for.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
What happened to super secret but uber important think tank Jack was spouting on about a couple of months ago? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Jack is hero none of us asked for.
Oh yeah sorry I forgot she does paid work for Tory think tanks too. Exactly what this country needs, someone telling a bunch of tories you only need £20 a week to feed a family of 3 if you just have a genius pixie brain to do a bit of Pythagoras with.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 48
I thought clubs made players get good financial advice now to plan life after football as so many have ended up broke when they retire.
I was reading the findings of an anthropologist who had been interviewing football players over 30 years (it was in Dutch, so not much use in sharing) and he described a big change over the last two decades. Players tend to get taken in by clubs at a young age (and get their education and training in football academies from the clubs) and are mentored in all things about professional football life, including finances. Once they are earning the big numbers, they will often have three bank accounts, one for their household (them and partner), one for their business (to pay their ‘staff’ or services they use like accountant, people that take care of their house etc), and a third one their partner doesn’t know about in case the marriage blows up.

I think the footballers that went bankrupt are more from the 80s and 90s when young lads all of a sudden got into big money without much guidance, which has changed.

This is why I originally brought up the Belle Gibson doc, if some doc maker took the time to scrutinise Jack, they'd have enough material for a full Netflix true crime series!

(Crimes against food obvs)
Or fictionalise it and get Julien Baptiste to look for the missing granola recipe

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
The person I feel most sorry for during Jack’s silence is the one picking up all the grief she usually pours out online.
it could be LJC dealing with all the fallout but I’m not sure. Someone somewhere is definitely having a tit time dealing with her meltdowns which can’t go online.

Reactions: 29
Frauen, I did my government round table yesterday and was told I gave them ‘excellent insight’. So I’ve basically shaped the whole of university admissions structures going forward. 🔺

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 59
Just been thinking what is her current job role? What i mean is that she works 20 hour days but yet nothing public has been churned out. Is she still on sebatical? Whats going on? How is she earning money?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Just been thinking what is her current job role? What i mean is that she works 20 hour days but yet nothing public has been churned out. Is she still on sebatical? Whats going on? How is she earning money?
Patreon

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.