Jack Monroe #198 Marcus! Marcus! Marcus!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought clubs made players get good financial advice now to plan life after football as so many have ended up broke when they retire.
I’m glad they do this. I was watching an interesting American documentary series called 30 for 30 (it’s about sports but interesting even if you’re not into sports) and they had an episode called broke. It was insane how many sports people went broke. I think it was nearly 80% of NFL players were bankrupt within five years of retirement, usually due to a combination of dodgy investments, hangers on and buying stupid tit. It makes me wonder what the statistics are for professional footballers over here. The ones who don’t get cushy BBC jobs or do gambling ads anyway.

I’m actually wondering what Jack would do if she become a big success. Like if her Diva mate became head of the BBC or something and Jack was inexplicably given a well paid cookery show. I’m guessing she’d buy a massively tacky, Mrs Bucket style house and wreck it with expensive hoards. The Patreon would no doubt stay up though.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
The results are in re: Turkey in a dish washer,

65 of you would decline
8 of you thought it was some type of joke
2 of you would

2.7% of us would sample it, considering we’ve had a few brave chefs attempt Jack’s dishes is it possible we’ve actually found there’s WORSE in the wild??

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 42
Last day in prison hotel quarantine today. Thinking of making a cake in the kettle, for bantz. I was going to get Deliveroo to bring all the ingredients and then hold it on until it’s cooked. Mr W thinks the only way would be to steam cook a treacle sponge/ sticky toffee pudding. Is there advice on this matter in any of Jack’s body of work please?

I have taught a premiership footballer and a page 3 girl. It went badly for both of them and they didn’t get rich. Both were well paid very young (footballer on first team aged 16, girl had a countdown to her 16th birthday topless in the star/ sport). The footballer earned more than me as a teacher in a month for sotting

The lad’s career tanked when he got done for drink driving (and lying) and the girl got deeper and deeper into the dodgier side of ‘glamour’ photography.

I don’t think Jack has invested her money well. She should have a mortgage/ income/ business with her earnings to date.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
I was reading the findings of an anthropologist who had been interviewing football players over 30 years (it was in Dutch, so not much use in sharing) and he described a big change over the last two decades. Players tend to get taken in by clubs at a young age (and get their education and training in football academies from the clubs) and are mentored in all things about professional football life, including finances. Once they are earning the big numbers, they will often have three bank accounts, one for their household (them and partner), one for their business (to pay their ‘staff’ or services they use like accountant, people that take care of their house etc), and a third one their partner doesn’t know about in case the marriage blows up.

I think the footballers that went bankrupt are more from the 80s and 90s when young lads all of a sudden got into big money without much guidance, which has changed.

Or fictionalise it and get Julien Baptiste to look for the missing granola recipe
On a long journey I listened to a sports podcast when they were talking about this - how players now are encouraged to get their exams - like Saka just did before the Euros - and also to plan for life after football because of the potential for career ending injuries. More do their coaching badges as well to stay in football. There were some tragic stories about lads who were taken into clubs very early on, never made the first team and the money ran out and when they were dropped got into problems with depression and alcohol. Which then always brings me to Gazza and how such potential had brilliant spots but ultimately ended in disaster.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I’m glad they do this. I was watching an interesting American documentary series called 30 for 30 (it’s about sports but interesting even if you’re not into sports) and they had an episode called broke. It was insane how many sports people went broke. I think it was nearly 80% of NFL players were bankrupt within five years of retirement, usually due to a combination of dodgy investments, hangers on and buying stupid tit. It makes me wonder what the statistics are for professional footballers over here. The ones who don’t get cushy BBC jobs or do gambling ads anyway.

I’m actually wondering what Jack would do if she become a big success. Like if her Diva mate became head of the BBC or something and Jack was inexplicably given a well paid cookery show. I’m guessing she’d buy a massively tacky, Mrs Bucket style house and wreck it with expensive hoards. The Patreon would no doubt stay up though.
One thing to note about the NFL is that (I think this may have changed recently) they didn't provide health insurance to retired players unless they had a long career (the average NFL career is about 3 years), and the US "healthcare" system being what it is probably had a lot to do with some of those bankruptcies.

Compare this to Major League Baseball, which gives lifetime health insurance to anyone who even plays one game, and has for years.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
I wonder if we'll get #JackMonroesPingdemicPantry in light of the recent shortage news?

Or perhaps because she doesn't have a bone to pick with a chef stealing her body of work she'll just carrying on silently raking in Patreon coin.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
One thing to note about the NFL is that (I think this may have changed recently) they didn't provide health insurance to retired players unless they had a long career (the average NFL career is about 3 years), and the US "healthcare" system being what it is probably had a lot to do with some of those bankruptcies.

Compare this to Major League Baseball, which gives lifetime health insurance to anyone who even plays one game, and has for years.
Would have thought the NFL had a storm coming, what with all the new research about brain trauma in their players.

Reactions: 28
Would have thought the NFL had a storm coming, what with all the new research about brain trauma in their players.
They've already paid out about a billion dollars over that. It may well keep getting worse though.

• Wow
Reactions: 27
I wonder if we'll get #JackMonroesPingdemicPantry in light of the recent shortage news?

Or perhaps because she doesn't have a bone to pick with a chef stealing her body of work she'll just carrying on silently raking in Patreon coin.
Pingdemic Pantry sounds like a cbeebies show! Could this be Jack's new niche, teaching the young 'uns the art of slop making?

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I don't think there's much guidance for AFL and rugby players here. A lot seem to get into ice in a big way, which is just never going to end well. It's good that the football is starting to look after the players a bit more.

• Sad
Reactions: 26
Pingdemic Pantry sounds like a cbeebies show! Could this be Jack's new niche, teaching the young 'uns the art of slop making?
Perhaps Jack could present that CBeebies’ cookery show. The title might present a problem though, since it’s called ‘I Can Cook’. The channel would get in trouble with Ofcom for having such a misleading title.

Imagine Jack fronting a child’s cookery show. A group of wide eyed kids turn up expecting to bake cakes, but have to sit in a circle around Jack and hear the poverty story for 30 minutes first. Then they make cakes by chopping up ready made cakes and blending them into batter (again, giving her ideas here).

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I get that her patron pays well but is it enough to sustain her pre sabbatical lifestyle. I mean if my husband whos self employed stopped working as much and we used my money sure we could probably feed ourselves and make bill payments but we wouldnt be able to keep up with our current lifestyle as we would have no spare cash.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Perhaps Jack could present that CBeebies’ cookery show. The title might present a problem though, since it’s called ‘I Can Cook’. The channel would get in trouble with Ofcom for having such a misleading title.

Imagine Jack fronting a child’s cookery show. A group of wide eyed kids turn up expecting to bake cakes, but have to sit in a circle around Jack and hear the poverty story for 30 minutes first. Then they make cakes by chopping up ready made cakes and blending them into batter (again, giving her ideas here).
One of the kids would definitely lose a finger emulating her chopping skills, because of course Jack will go all maverick and put chopped onions in the icing!

I can't imagine her taking criticism as well as THAT man did when he showed some kids how McNuggets are made and they still wanted to munch them!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I’m still very curious about her radio silence. Something has definitely happened.

Reactions: 36
Latest stats:
Screenshot_20210722-125946_Opera.jpg

Jack followed three accounts yesterday (I checked, and these were actual follows, not reactivated accounts).

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 39

Do you want children to cry?
Because that's what will happen. Their little eager faces, excited that they are on the telly. Each given their own table with a cloth covering some mystery ingredients.
They pull off the cloths to reveal anchovies, raw onion and some oats soaking in water. Alongside which is a plastic bag with what looks like the rotting remnants of a mixed salad, swimming in what can only be described as 'bin juice
There are also all the utensils and paraphernalia required. A chipped plate, a rusty spoon, a nutribullit and a mandoline slicer with no safety guard.
They will be sobbing in minutes and that's before she starts on 'The Poverty.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Maybe she's going proper showbiz and doing "Potatoes - the Musical."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.