Jack Monroe #197 Site currently unavailable

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Congratulations to @Emmapism for the thread title! 🎉 Your prize: a pair of Jack’s folded unmentionables.

Recap of last thread:

Not much. Jack’s website is down (hence the thread title) - she’s aware but it’s ... complicated.

She popped up briefly last night to report she was too busy folding her undercrackers to catch England equalising in the kickyball. Football might be coming home, but is Jack?

Please use the words ‘thread title’ (two separate words) when making a bid for one as it makes it easier to search. Also, try to hold off to the latter part of the thread if possible (after post #500). And remember - no swears are allowed.

There is a thread in the off topic forum called Food and Drink where off topic chat is encouraged if / when Jack is quiet.

New to Jack? Have a look at the wiki.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
Congratulations to @Emmapism for the thread title! 🎉 Your prize: a pair of Jack’s folded unmentionables.

Recap of last thread:

Not much. Jack’s website is down (hence the thread title) - she’s aware but it’s ... complicated.

She popped up briefly last night to report she was too busy folding her undercrackers to catch England equalising in the kickyball. Football might be coming home, but is Jack?

Please use the words ‘thread title’ (two separate words) when making a bid for one as it makes it easier to search. Also, try to hold off to the latter part of the thread if possible (after post #500). And remember - no swears are allowed.

There is a thread in the off topic forum called Food and Drink where off topic chat is encouraged if / when Jack is quiet.

New to Jack? Have a look at the wiki.
Football might be coming home, but is Jack? 😂😂😂👩‍🍳💋

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
If Jack does come home I have found the perfect puddle desk for the next weighty tome of text to be written at

(This is close to me 🔺 but I haven't got a Patreon to enable me to spaff the cash to buy this desk because it is hideous YET dreamy)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Why ruin a nice piece of furniture 😱
It's upcycling, sweetie. All the trendy people do it daaaahhhhling.

ETA it reminds me of the old French and Saunders sketch, where two cornish farmers wives were selling a load of old tat to the newcomers from London. "She paid forty quid for my old tit shovel, she did. Said it would look rustic on the kitchen wall. They hate white bread, call it poison, unless it's French and shaped like a penis"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
In this video for the Guardian, she’s openly sneering at tinned food and ready meals. I remember quite early in her career she was taking basic ready meals and showing how to make something better from scratch. I’d love to know where the complete change in direction came from.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 44
If Jack does come home I have found the perfect puddle desk for the next weighty tome of text to be written at

(This is close to me 🔺 but I haven't got a Patreon to enable me to spaff the cash to buy this desk because it is hideous YET dreamy)
Vivienne Westwood (RIP) and squiggles? @discokebab, you are spoiling Jack us!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
My grunka pace really isn't in sync with my writing pace so apologies if I'm barging in at this point. I don't have the hang of posting tidyly either. I'm replying to this post in the last thread, but then generally rambling on too.

I do think that this book is a vital and seminal one. I guess you disagree and I'm not writing this to change your mind here. I'm just driven to speak up to the cabal to separate it from Jacks slop ideas about everything. My cabal origin story!

That the "centre left Twitter" (I'm not quite sure who this covers sorry, but I'm guessing it's a loose grouping of those with popularity than substance) has had time and goodwill for Jack doesn't mean that everything they amplify or share, like this book, is equally as harmful, self centered and shallow as Jack.
I don't know if I care enough to have an opinion on these people's commitment to any issue or community, I just want the vulnerable and marginalised and the everyday to be heard, and I'm glad when their voices are reported/ spread. But definitely the gatekeeping and the filtering of these voices by a select accepted few is unjust and enraging.

But then Jack's voice is like a foghorn leading everyone away from a critical subject or issue into the quicksand of her serves 0 ego which is just on another unforgivable level.

I can't remember/didn't keep up with exact interactions at the time (3+ years ago?) of this books release, but I think that the authors and readers of the book were just more committed and more adept at publicity than Jack is, as they actually had a sustained urgent investment in the improvement of the lives of people the book is concerned with.
Unlike Jack who cares about anyone only as far as they can speak over them.
At the time of the book's release I think the authors were just pally with as many as possible to make sure the book got known? I think I remember being surprised at the diplomacy and patience shown at the time to various people I wouldn't think to bother with. Like politicians or commentators comfortably embedded in their own self importance.
I can't remember Jack mentioning the book myself- but the rhyme or reason of what Monroe minutae lodges in my craw/memory isnt quite known. I don't remember seeing it on her deep background research (still😂 when i think of newzit) book pile photos but not sure.

I don't think I'd say that most sex workers are generally "in" with centre left Twitter. From my experience, I think its unfortunately unusual for anyone not a sex worker to talk to a sex worker without presumption revulsion or judgement. I'm not saying this is always intended or malicious but it gets dehumanising trying to patiently and charitably accommodate those thoughts and opinions.
A respectful coexistence or some chat in tweets doesn't necessarily mean there's much meaningful alliance and I wouldn't say that it necessarily counts as being "in" with whoever on twitter, but it might appear so more to people who aren't sws. But I'm in with no one so maybe I can't say.

It can't be repeated enough that every experience Jack's ever had is "the lovely MC" version! With all the cushioning of their rent recieving, professional, community pillar or DEAD relatives behind them.
(Just want to clarify that i'm not saying that any experience of abuse or assault is lovely if you're middle class. Though I think that class affects the consequences and effects of it)

Jack's made every job and task in their life from the fire service to doing the washing up transform them into an indispensable preaching martyr. I can only assume her experience of sex work is similarly elongated/fabricated/exaggerated, with a tipjar eye on some extra opportunity from titillation and pity.

I think she's alluded to sex work during the nebulous poverty days, before the "fame". Shamefully this is what made me keep time for her. I thought that by mentioning it she destigmatised it and was contributing to an awareness of how many people are sex workers.
But now I realise they mentioned it in an "even someone like me who would think 😯" way. Just "sex work" mike drop.
Jack inhales and regurgitates stigma as they think it magnifies makes how much more hard done by and maverick they are.

I think there's been some plausible scenarios on the threads of how a sexual encounter that has had some kind of transactional element to it that has been since over egged into being Jack being a sex worker. I don't want to rule over who calls themselves that, but there are definite differences to how being involved in sex work impacts and shapes someone's life (this should unite not divide us). Jack's never sensitive to that about any situation and always wants to have had it the worst. I think Jack can be tactical with humility and concern every now and then- but we've seen how little that motivates them compared to themselves.

Compare Jack drawing attention to this (they have never as far as I know)
To the amount Jack has drawn attention to how their credit rating forbids their forever hydrangea.

I am a sw (more yellow sticker than belle du jour), and often feel uncomfortable when the "topic" is mentioned here.
I am not asking or expecting anyone here to make me feel any differently.

The insight, forensics, archiving, hilarity and art that have spawned from these threads have been so impeccable and inspired (also terrifying tho) and have shook me up and cracked me up in a way nothing else could have done during this past 18 months. So I've felt I'd get a bit personally ruffled if I engaged more here and SW came up in a way I disagreeed with. That's just me not being arsed to feel that way amongst fraus, I'm not saying I'd expect or want anyone else to be/feel responsible for it. But thank you and much respect and love for all of the above there.

And genuine sympathy for anyone sickened or triggered by Jack's carry on along the way, it's just when there's a jack in everything, how the humanity gets in xx

Oh god this post really does serve 4 with leftovers, yes absolutely I've marauded your screens sorry should have prob pickled some beans in the time it's taken me to draft and post this x

PS my mind has changed close but no cigar into a piss but no sandwich

• Heart
Reactions: 65
It's upcycling, sweetie. All the trendy people do it daaaahhhhling.

ETA it reminds me of the old French and Saunders sketch, where two cornish farmers wives were selling a load of old tat to the newcomers from London. "She paid forty quid for my old tit shovel, she did. Said it would look rustic on the kitchen wall. They hate white bread, call it poison, unless it's French and shaped like a penis"
Never a truer word spoken in jest. As an inveterate eBay trawler / charity shopper/vintage dabbler. I've seen ridiculous prices being asked for completely ruined furniture. On topic. I worry about being Jack- esque and collecting too many bits and bobs. Don't write on tiles,torture bream by freezing or wear grey underwear whilst sitting on top of my sideboard (eBay) ...😁

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Colossal eye roll at her liking all those ~ADHD~ tweets. Considering her mathematical education seems to barely have extended to Pythagoras I highly doubt she'd be able to solve a calculus problem by straight up Rain Manning it, unless she is going to claim to be a savant now. She probably submitted a piece of wallpaper with a couple of numbers scrawled on it to HMRC and said 'numbers just are innit 🤷‍♀️'.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Considering Twitter is a hellsite I notice she used the correct kickyball hashtags to boost her engagement*

*In my opinion of course m’lud

• Haha
Reactions: 33
In this video for the Guardian, she’s openly sneering at tinned food and ready meals. I remember quite early in her career she was taking basic ready meals and showing how to make something better from scratch. I’d love to know where the complete change in direction came from.
Splitting with an actual chef maybe??
Still the trademark is there with the too small pan

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I have arrived at the hotel. They've given me a top floor room. So using Jack's hyperbolic language, I'm in a penthouse suite.

It is 12 floors up, so has fantastic views across the city too. I'm so pleased I chose here. Bargain.

I would have liked to go to one of those independent burger places so beloved by Jack, but there's none close by. I think they are called Five Guys. There's not even a Dishoom close enough to walk to. What sort of a place is this?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 80
Laziness? Lack of competence? I don't really get how she still targets the poors with her 'cooking', whenever I'm skint due to my terrible financial mismanagement I tend to go for stuff like chilli or spag bol, pasta, and shitloads of jacket potatoes, stuff that can use basically the same ingredients and we actually enjoy. Can live for a week or so on 10-15 quid, always got a few kg of pasta in and then it's just chucking in cheap veg and protein, seasonings, done. Wouldn't touch the stuff she makes these days with a bargepole, some of it is like she's full on just cribbed it from the menu of some ostentatious medieval feast.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
I love how she just threw a little tweet out letting on she's casually folding laundry during the kickyball like everything is fine and normal lol Twitter is Jack's life and 'career'. Where's the money coming from to keep her afloat? The Patreon money for nothing is ridiculous but not enough for her to live on for this long. Must have a good whack in that savings account she paid the leftovers of her 'living wage' to!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.