Jack Monroe #194 She only came back cos we were about to put out an album

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Congratulations to @Vanelope for the words and @JuliaGulia for the nomination! 🎉 Your prize: one Mulberry bag, stained. Not with original strap.

Recap of last thread

1. She came back like the maverick master, and with newfound wisdom: You Don’t Have to Rinse the Beans.
2. True to form, she made a slow cooker dish that perfectly complemented the warmer weather. So light and summery.
3. She found a bargain of a charity shop skirt. Skirts that turn your eye to the side, cock that leg out nice and wide, strike a pose, Vogue.
4. She was nominated for another nonsense award, and then un-nominated? I’m not sure.
Please use the words ‘thread title’ (two separate words) when making a bid for one as it makes it easier to search. Also, try to hold off to the latter part of the thread if possible (after post #500). And remember - no swears are allowed.

There is a thread in the off topic forum called Food and Drink where off topic chat is encouraged if / when Jack is quiet.

New to Jack? Have a look at the wiki.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
Quoting across thread. As anyone seen the pawn shop show on TV?

A girl came into it once with 100000000 of pounds of bags like serious high end bags and at least 10 of them. The bloke gave her a price she was really not happy. He said there's no real market for second hand bags and if he sold them to her for what she wanted he would lose money selling them on.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
He said there's no real market for second hand bags and if he sold them to her for what she wanted he would lose money selling them on.
Agree completely. 95% of bags or other items will depreciate massively, the 5% that go up aren’t the sorts of bags/items you can just walk into a shop and pick up.

If she was buying vintage runway pieces and restoring / flipping them I could almost believe it, but unless you’re a high enough value customer to have a dedicated SA you’re not accessing anything that appreciates in value soz.

Think the exception to this rule (for the avg person) is old Chanel bags and that’s more because they were so much cheaper before so you’re guaranteed to make *something* above cost. And very old LV, basically antiques rather than bags?

• Heart
Reactions: 32

Just googled it and yes here it is.

Much better to our your money into shares or something.

High end, put your name down for an order, sort of bags. Like some of the limited edition trainers that go for vast mark ups. Not the sort of thing you can pick up off the shelf on Oxford St or New Bond St. Sorry - should have been clearer.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Agree completely. 95% of bags or other items will depreciate massively, the 5% that go up aren’t the sorts of bags/items you can just walk into a shop and pick up.

If she was buying vintage runway pieces and restoring / flipping them I could almost believe it, but unless you’re a high enough value customer to have a dedicated SA you’re not accessing anything that appreciates in value soz.

Think the exception to this rule (for the avg person) is old Chanel bags and that’s more because they were so much cheaper before so you’re guaranteed to make *something* above cost. And very old LV, basically antiques rather than bags?
Yes I also think most people ( including me) buy second hand because it's cheaper than first hand. I actually hate going into vintage shops and they are selling generic pieces for top dollar. If it's something really rare or out there fair enough but 35 pound for a Reebok jumper that's 20 years old. That's nearly how much it was when it was new.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Thanks for the new thread Poca! And @Vanelope, hands down my fave thread name ever 😂 why is it so good? Because it’s true and we all know Jack ♥s facts!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Thanks Poca!

Wonder what bollocks we will be treated to this Sunday. I can barely wait

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Guys, I'm so excited....! The mole and ham/pea/whatever it was recipes can drop any time now! It's like a highly anticipated Beyonce album, with the brilliance swapped for disappointment and old juniper berries, plus a limp word salad on the side.

Can hardly contain myself with excitement

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Guys, I'm so excited....! The mole and ham/pea/whatever it was recipes can drop any time now! It's like a highly anticipated Beyonce album, with the brilliance swapped for disappointment and old juniper berries, plus a limp word salad on the side.

Can hardly contain myself with excitement
Imagine the excitement of waiting for your beige postcard set. Everyday waiting, waiting....waiting. Singing Please Mr Postman to yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Imagine the excitement of waiting for your beige postcard set. Everyday waiting, waiting....waiting. Singing Please Mr Postman to yourself.
Imagine if they'd gone out weekly, as promised, how many the Patreons would have by now ........

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Imagine if they'd gone out weekly, as promised, how many the Patreons would have by now ........
The recycling bins would be overflowing, the post office would be at breaking point, carolines hands would be to the bone

• Haha
Reactions: 42
She’s totally trashed that poor bag. Shows a complete lack of respect for her belongings (and money, but that’s unsurprising). So the skirt is currently for sale in John Lewis? Boujee.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Just had a look at LJC's twitter for the first time in a while, and she seems to have become uber-Tory Ruth Davidson's biggest cheerleader 😱. Little wonder Jon Snow chose to retire really.

• Wow
Reactions: 48
I hope she does a chaos soon! Has the mole sauce sauce been added to the coming soon list?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Just had a look at LJC's twitter for the first time in a while, and she seems to have become uber-Tory Ruth Davidson's biggest cheerleader 😱. Little wonder Jon Snow chose to retire really.
first i thought that was a bit weird... then I remembered the media's obsession with reinventing Tories as tv personalities. Portillo got on a train so Davidson could run

I hope she does a chaos soon! Has the mole sauce sauce been added to the coming soon list?
of course 💅

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.