Jack Monroe #133 Neither a celebrity or a chef

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Masks with poppies on are peak examples of this. Clapping for the NHS wearing a mask with poppies on after voting Tory...
Even better, people who break the lockdown rules constantly, who clap loudest for the NHS, while wearing a mask with poppies on, after voting Tory!

The people who literally carried on as normal in my street, during all lockdowns, have been the most obnoxious clappers of all. Lots of my friends have said that their streets are the same.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
😂😂 300 Patreons who thought they were sponsoring a Dickensian urchin child out of the east end slums horrified to learn she’s a boomer
I am *exceptionally* fond of you lovely @heretoreaditall2019, but I was born in the hallowed year of 1978 and feel forced to point out that I am a GenX-er par excellence and I'll thank you to take back your '1978=boomer' allegations or I'll be forced to tell you stories of raves and how much better the drugs were in the 90s. You've been warned.

EXCUSE ME! 1978 would make her a Gen X'r if you don't mind.
Hah. Snap.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76
Bounced cheques are very expensive - banks gleefully charge a pile for them. She should organise her budgeting better - get some advice - oh wait she claims to be a budgeting expert.
It's obvious that she's tit with money because you can tell when it's payday. Suddenly she's treating herself to Burberry jackets (plural to make a point, because these clothes aren't for the likes of you!) and sending out Lion bars.

She constantly ridicules The Artist Formerly Known As Mrs J for not knowing how to cook, but TBH knowing how to budget is another basic adult skill, and she's never picked it up.

Reactions: 56
This comment irritates me immensely. If you had to cook using thin air and hope, then you know how hard it is, so how about putting a shopping list together?

Anyone who was genuine in their desire to support parents would be moving on to being helpful, show families how to use the £15 to cater for their child. And let’s get honest, lentil and dried mushroom with black tea isn’t the answer!

Create shopping lists for children‘s meals that would be eaten. Clue having worked in schools, fish fingers and chips are popular!

There could be ideas for people with or without freezer space, with or without cooking input, with or without additional snacks, with or without bigger breakfast...maybe cooked so then sandwiches for lunch.

If this is your life’s work then bloody do something useful!
I had thought this but over the past few days have seen people who are doing it better. The Jamie Oliver related digital cookery book being the one that springs to mind. His cookery school is also putting on a daily cooking show at noon at the moment. I remember Jack once writing that she had been given career advice to choose journalism/activism or food writing, and her saying that the two will always go together for her. The recipes she was putting out before all this SHTF - pangratto, the mussel concotion, bacon in porridge. - all says to me that her cooking is not serious advice on how to make ends meet.

Reactions: 30
I’m thinking this more and more. All of her story is about bad budgeting and money management. Suddenly realizing she hasn’t got enough rent/ jam. Buying high end make up/ toasters/ crockery. Buying stickers food rather than planning meals. Not eating the freezer fish...
People are poor because they aren't paid enough or can't work. There are people who are poor because they grew up poor so never had any money to learn money management skills. There are people who are poor because they don't know how to handle money because they're used to things being easy/given to them. But she has a partner and paying career. She can still be poor in those circumstances, many people are,
Bounced cheques are very expensive - banks gleefully charge a pile for them. She should organise her budgeting better - get some advice - oh wait she claims to be a budgeting expert.
That's the poverty trap, so MAYBE she really is poor, because she's getting charged left right and centre for "poor people fees". If you've got big debts, interest takes huge chunks of your money. But if that's the case, I think it's a huge market for her to be talking to. If she was presenting it as "i still have massive debts from trying to survive on benefits, so here's how we're saving in order to pay it off" and actually showed proper budgeting, that's a new audience, more content, and more relatable. Imagine how many people are using savings/credit to pay for essentials and getting into debt if they're not working right now? She's missing a huge opportunity and wasting her time tweeting rubbish to people who don't care.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
how do you have three gardens? Surely it’s just one duck off massive garden?

Landrover DISCOVERY not to be mistaken with another cheaper breed sweeties
Why doesn't she just say "car"? Unless of course, she's name-dropping how middle-class and well-off they are.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
This comment irritates me immensely. If you had to cook using thin air and hope, then you know how hard it is, so how about putting a shopping list together?

Anyone who was genuine in their desire to support parents would be moving on to being helpful, show families how to use the £15 to cater for their child. And let’s get honest, lentil and dried mushroom with black tea isn’t the answer!

Create shopping lists for children‘s meals that would be eaten. Clue having worked in schools, fish fingers and chips are popular!

There could be ideas for people with or without freezer space, with or without cooking input, with or without additional snacks, with or without bigger breakfast...maybe cooked so then sandwiches for lunch.

If this is your life’s work then bloody do something useful!
Also I don't understand that quote. It's like 'I made a living from it but you can't do it'

Eh? Does she mean you shouldn't have to try and do it?

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I had thought this but over the past few days have seen people who are doing it better. The Jamie Oliver related digital cookery book being the one that springs to mind. His cookery school is also putting on a daily cooking show at noon at the moment. I remember Jack once writing that she had been given career advice to choose journalism/activism or food writing, and her saying that the two will always go together for her. The recipes she was putting out before all his SHTF - pangratto, the mussel concotion, bacon in porridge. - all says to me that her cooking is not serious advice for on how to make ends meet.
Be in no doubt, I don’t think she is capable of this but she could at least point people in the direction of others who are doing it. But that would mean promoting others #nevergoingtohappen.

But back to yesterday’s point about the twitter fan club, why don’t these thoughts go through their heads.. why don’t they think, what useful content are you creating? Obviously Jack is promoting her books but how is that useful? Even if the recipes were good, she isn’t suggesting which recipes they could use to create a £15 shop...not forgetting the cost of the book which would take half of the food money to purchas.

Also I don't understand that quote. It's like 'I made a living from it but you can't do it'

Eh? Does she mean you shouldn't have to try and do it?
I think this is exactly what she means, she doesn’t want anyone else to have a slice of her pie. It’s her work and it’s hard and tough and you will get abuse and you shouldn’t do it...!

Reactions: 30
People are poor because they aren't paid enough or can't work. There are people who are poor because they grew up poor so never had any money to learn money management skills. There are people who are poor because they don't know how to handle money because they're used to things being easy/given to them. But she has a partner and paying career. She can still be poor in those circumstances, many people are,

That's the poverty trap, so MAYBE she really is poor, because she's getting charged left right and centre for "poor people fees". If you've got big debts, interest takes huge chunks of your money. But if that's the case, I think it's a huge market for her to be talking to. If she was presenting it as "i still have massive debts from trying to survive on benefits, so here's how we're saving in order to pay it off" and actually showed proper budgeting, that's a new audience, more content, and more relatable. Imagine how many people are using savings/credit to pay for essentials and getting into debt if they're not working right now? She's missing a huge opportunity and wasting her time tweeting rubbish to people who don't care.

After ten years, one multi millionaire partner, one extremely well paid partner, book deals and whatnots, the bullshit detector inbuilt into most people who actually have to survive on benefits would be clanging like a copper saucepan set falling off the top of a three grand Smeg.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
I think Jack has opened a can of worms here. And it does feel a bit eeeek.

388596-f9802d3ced556ac2dcbd81b51dbbfb6e.png

388600-b7eae03dbed3bb9aae46d8d72749a8c2.png

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 64
Why doesn't she just say "car"? Unless of course, she's name-dropping how middle-class and well-off they are.
I would bet in her head a land rover is a working class vehicle, and that's why she drops in exactly what it was. Same as always dropping in that her dad took her to school in a van. Obviously we know a land rover is a pretty luxury vehicle to have, but her idea of what is 'poor' and what isn't always misses the mark, she's a bit clueless.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
If I were LC I'd be fewwwwmin. She's basically implying that she can barely make ends meet, having had her rent check bounce for 6 MONTHS (in which time LC was living with her). It would be a different situation if LC were a min wage worker or unemployed, but she clearly earns enough to contribute. I think it's a low blow dig at LC tbh.

Reactions: 41
The rent bouncing thing is just...wtf. She's said so many times that she has savings and is saving for a house. Between that and all the paid work she's very luckily had the past year, she can pay rent. Why she constantly tries to present herself as struggling, well we all know why *rattles tip jar*.

Reactions: 46
If I were LC I'd be fewwwwmin. She's basically implying that she can barely make ends meet, having had her rent check bounce for 6 MONTHS (in which time LC was living with her). It would be a different situation if LC were a min wage worker or unemployed, but she clearly earns enough to contribute. I think it's a low blow dig at LC tbh.

Possibly trying to elicit a response from somebody who is rather busy working, what with the impeachment and everything else going on? And is still most likely somewhat pissed off about being blamed for the Covid business/being elevenerifed with the temperature/I'm having a serious medical emergency here whilst you're selfishly in hospital and not looking after meeeeeee business.

I did - ugh - say when the fancy dress came out that I didn't think it was something put on for SB's benefit. I think the Ocotpus and Squid things are a similar off colour reference.

Excuse me, I must go and work bleach my brain now.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
Another one who got the Best for Britain email this morning. I've copied some of the text as it seemed quite jarring even for Jack.

I don't know if she's mixed up who she is writing for but the sentence with "not want any Brit to have to struggle" seems strange.

Does anyone refer to people as Brits? I have only heard it as a perjorative when in NI. It seems strange and unnecessary to me. Surely you want to help regardless of nationality?
I know what it's like to live on the breadline. It's why I started my recipe blog - to help those who may only have pennies to feed their family, to do so in the cheapest most healthy way. And I don't want any Brit to have to struggle to put food on the table, let alone those who are putting their lives at risk to keep the rest of us safe
And why just Brits? I'm not a Brit, I've lived here forever. Is it ok for me to struggle to put food on the table? Or is it better to deport me if I need benefits? It's that whole 'good' immigrant thing again. I bleeping HATE it. I know people who have used me as an example of the 'good' immigrant (she works, she pays her taxes, etc.). I always, always point out that I could be in a car crash today and become a non-productive, hugely costly member of society. Would they then want to deport me? Do I only count because I'm of 'net-benefit'? (I don't even know if I am, to be honest. I've had two kids on the NHS, which surely cost a fair whack).

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.