Jack Monroe #131 Mary Sloppins

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Almost a decade ago, a primary school pupil in Scotland made a blog called Never Seconds, where she posted photos and reviews of her (inadequate) school lunches. She raised awareness of issues with school lunches, effected some local change, then raised a huge amount of money for a school lunch charity in Malawi.

It was a very heartwarming story. Beyond that, I genuinely think that this 9-year-old girl did more good than Jack has done in close to a decade of "activism".

• Heart
Reactions: 93
I am right behind the packed lunch campaign. 100% I think bread and fruit and veg is fine for lunch. It's the middle of a pandemic, surely every little helps. What do people want to be in these boxes?
It wouldn't be as much of an issue if:
1. The government weren't (usually) giving these contracts to their mates who make a huge profit from taxpayer money from doing this (see also: PPE, ventilators, hospital car parking etc etc etc)
2. If in society in general a school lunch for all children was just something to keep them going between their breakfast and evening meal.
But for a rapidly increasing number of school children it is the only meal they meal they get and it's usually a decent hot one. It's not a matter of every little helps for these families who are below an income threshold, it can be everything.

Part 2 isn't the fault of the box company but when it's combined with part 1 is when people get angry.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Interesting to note that Owen Jones, former friend and keyboard warrior to the stars, retweeted the original thread - not Monroe's. Her teeth must ache from all the grinding in her sleep.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
This whole 'photo evidence' approach is such a nonsense anyway. The genuine cases will not be helped because encouraging an album of images is just so open to abuse by those who simply may want to generate a political hit. It risks delegitimising the real instances if increasingly sparse and unsuitable provision is shown. They will not be verifiable, and can be dismissed as manufactured and politically motivated as they become ever more ridiculous. Again, her 'activism' is simply too unsophisticated, lazy and flawed.
It would have some benefit if anyone was arguing in favour of the parcels in their current form but everyone involved immediately conceded that they were below standard so the pictures achieve nothing. The debate has moved on and thankfully has been taken up by effective campaigners such as Marcus Rashford who will hopefully ensure the government make satisfactory provision for lunches. If Jack wants to sit on Twitter shouting at pictures of white bread and apples that's her right but she shouldn't be trying to pass off this unusual hobby as campaigning.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
A friend used to work for chartwells. She said portion sizes were tit, but there would be loads of leftovers. She'd often bring home the huge ice cream tubs full of food.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
I've never seen this woman before last night but holy duck what a bellend! Tweeting for 'clout' as the kids say, trying to get her irritating face in the DM to be labelled a saint and given an MBE I bet. For someone who acts as though they never think of themselves, all she's done so far is use her own alleged experiences as examples of the government not supporting those in poverty, rather than actually talking about current events. Children are starving right now and all she can talk about is when she used to worry about not having pasta. Utter twit!

Also the 'caucasity' and 'this ain't it' comments are SO inappropriate and yet I've seen no one bashing her directly for them! Already got her sainthood it appears

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 87
God blessus she's like an annoying Z lister who tries to elbow her way into every doo while the door staff are telling her she isn't on the list.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I dislike her today. I can’t cope when blue tickers start treating her like she’s the real deal. When I come back this evening I can only hope someone has noticed the disgusting way she spoke to Marcus and has called her out on it.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 55
I just don't understand what she wants
Well if she does actually want to “work with” the government on this (she doesn’t), she is going totally the wrong way about it.

How could they bring someone so rude and aggressive on board, to work with the contractors she has slammed? We note her clarion call to “stay angry” - but being angry in this context cannot just mean going on a lengthy rant. That changes nothing. It’s surely got to mean staying focused, and resolutely in it for the long haul.

Pictures like these have been around for an age, and she must surely have been aware of them.

Did she think they just didn’t matter before? I think we all know why she’s suddenly up in arms about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Why doesn't she highlight MR and let him use his platform at the end of the day as along as these children get fed, why does it matter if he does it or she's does it. If I was her I'd hand it over especially if I was a busy as her. If she keeps retweeting her name is till next to his.

Laying the foundations, oh I have toothache, it made me tetchy, I didn’t know what I was saying, too much pain medication, 🙄🙄🙄🙄🤥🤥
Translated as woken up to no mention of me anywhere and I chomped down after yelling I hurt my tooshie pegs. ( I hate that word)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.