Jack Monroe #128 Just eat the custard

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think we can confirm that the post covid fatigue is now done, dusted and the box has been ticked.

She’s up, bright eyed ( the light is shining through) and bushy tailed.
She was one of the people but not just her. FFS she's ridiculous.

Reactions: 37
Don’t worry. She’ll be drained and exhausted by all this activism soon.

She should focus on her son and his needs rather than inserting herself into another ‘cause’. Poor lad ☹.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
Oh dear. Someone is very chipper today.
Far removed from the angsty selfie Jack with covid symptoms :unsure:
I suppose lockdown larder is a distant memory? (Every cloud tbh).

• Haha
Reactions: 45
If she wasn't such an annoying troll, I'd feel sorry for her. Her obsessive reaching out to blue ticks on Twitter, speak of someone who knows that her time in the limelight is running out, Maybe if she had actually promoted the hashtag in her conversations with them, I'd think she genuinely means it but as it stands.....( also how sad is it that she's basically stealing from Abby Tomlinson, and the woman who originally came up with "Clap for carers"?)

Reactions: 30
Still laughing at this... FOUNDER OF A HASHTAG.
She’s a FOUNDER of a HASHTAG.

View attachment 377575

Brilliant, just utterly brilliant. Slacktivism at its finest. 😂

Although, being serious for a moment, the idea behind it is more or less solid. The actual hashtag itself is shite, and as I said above conflates the old ‘Thunderclap’ social media activism platform and ‘clapping for carers’ so it doesn’t make much sense to those not in the know.

It’s just galling that she’s going to use this (recycled/stolen, not massively groundbreaking, not particularly well thought-out) ‘activism’ to pump up her already inflated ego. Most of the useful features like Hey MP has been created and suggested by other people.

Given how much airtime she spent to correcting people using the hashtag incorrectly and posting fawning tweets to blue tickers, I smell an ego exercise rather than actually trying to achieve something useful.

Let’s see how this one develops, taking bets on whether this is all long forgotten by this time next week... 🤔
#thread title Slacktivism at its finest

Laura Waddell Laura Waddell Laura Waddell did she appear yet?
Maybe @Her?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Thanks to insomnia I’ve grunked! Couple of points...

If BB isn’t Louisa, it’s quite the coincidence that BB is also an avid cyclist, the same age and works in tv. What are the odds!?

I am all for an NHS pay rise - I have several friends who are working on the frontline and I’ve never seen them so utterly exhausted. However, Jack was hardly careful and didn’t Caitlin Moran break lockdown rules in lockdown 1 at least? Or am I making that up?
No, you did not make that up about Caitlin Moran. And the only reason she got away with it is because she had enough self control to stay off Twitter for a while and presumably because she's pals with people who could have written about her.

As someone upthread said, JM, CM et al thinking that tweeting furiously will make a blind bit of difference are deluded. Real activism takes time, effort, stamina, networking. Most people aren't on Twitter or care what happens there.

This article celebrates 8 successful hashtag campaigns. https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/hashtag-activism-hashtag10-twitter-trends-dresslik/ I read through it.
Only two of those hashtags changed something tangible in real life #stopfundinghate and #icebucketchallenge. And the first one didn't change what certain papers print, it just cut off some ad revenue.

I suspect #Thunderclapforcarers will go the same way as #heforshe. Heard of that 'hugely successful campaign'? Me neither.

Until the Tories get voted out, nothing will change in a fundamental way. Sad but true.

Last edited:
Reactions: 40
No, you did not make that up about Caitlin Moran. And the only reason she got away with it is because she had enough self control to stay off Twitter for a while and presumably because she's pals with people who could have written about her.

As someone upthread said, JM, CM et al thinking that tweeting furiously will make a blind bit of difference are deluded. Real activism takes time, effort, stamina, networking. Most people aren't on Twitter or care what happens there.
She thinks she's getting people to act outside of Twitter but she's not. Where's her email? Where's her advice on what to say and any follow up? It's an empty gesture.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
"Thunderclap" is the noise my breasts make when I jump up and down without a bra on 🤷

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
The issue in education was that they froze pay for years- I think similar in NHS, so you got to the top of your scale after 10 years or so, and couldn’t earn any more, despite cost of living increasing. Same with pensions getting mangled- I stated paying into a final salary scheme as a newly qualified teacher that turned out to be an unsustainable government ponzi, where they pay the boomers who retired at 50 out of current contributions.

Austerity is bogus. There is enough money if it’s not tied up with the super rich in buying nuclear war heads and unusable PPE off your mates. There should be a pay review for all public sector workers.

I left the Labour Party over austerity. Then we eventually left the UK due to underfunding in my job (education) and my husband’s (social care).

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk. Don’t forget to vote (pls don’t spoil your ballot like Jack).
I love you, @waffle maker . If you make me some waffles, I'll marry you.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I think we can confirm that the post covid fatigue is now done, dusted and the box has been ticked.

She’s up, bright eyed ( the light is shining through) and bushy tailed.
It’s like the all likes and retweets have give her a ‘power up’. Like when Dracula got all that blood and became Gary Oldman for a bit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
That might have been me. Arf arf, I did a thing.

Jesus bleeping christ. Is this was counts as activism nowadays?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43

This article celebrates 8 successful hashtag campaigns. I read through it. Only two of those hashtags changed a something tangible in real life #stopfundinghate and #icebucketchallenge. And the first one didn't change what certain papers print, it just cut off some ad revenue.

I suspect #Thunderclapforcarers will go the same way as #heforshe. Heard of that 'hugely successful campaign' . Me neither.

Until the Tories get voted out, nothing will change in a fundamental way. Sad but true.
Totally agree, real activism is vocational and often a lifetimes work. Slightly OT but your comment led me to think about Stacey Abrams, whilst Trump was getting his kicks in front of bigly crowds, Stacey and others like her were at the coal face doing the grunt work and the outcome will be transformative. JM seems to be in it for the kicks....

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.