Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In comparison to say, Smith or Cooper (lol), Hadjicostas is ‘difficult’. It’s not ‘English’, she would have had to spell it out to some people, and she may have been picked on at school for having a Greek surname.

Yes, she changed it for perhaps questionable reasons, yes, she’s now retroactively regretting changing it now, and yes, she’s trying to insert herself into dialogue about BAME women and their names - all very shabby and very HER. But I would imagine for her, maybe it was difficult to have a Greek name at times, especially for someone who is at odds with who she really is.

I still think she’s a ghoul! Just seeing it from a different point of view. Maybe the main consensus is ‘It’s not a difficult name’, but it wasn’t our name.
Absolutely every word of this. There are many things to call Jack out for but speculating on why exactly she changed her name isn't it. This isn't the hardship olympics - she's allowed to have felt alienated by her surname even though of course her experience wouldn't have been anywhere near like that of a poor woman of colour. And I reckon she would have been pigeon holed (at least at first) as a cookbook writer by having an 'ethnic' surname - let's face it, Jack Monroe is kinda snappy and quirky and led to the whole 'girl called Jack' thing. It was a marketing dream, really. Plus she clearly struggles with her gender identity and is allowed to explore what that means, one of those ways being her name.

She is also allowed to change her mind.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
If she was only skint for period if time then compared to many she is very lucky, does she ever think of those people living in the likes of Syria being bombed out of their homes, wondering if today is there day. Does she ever imagine trying to feed her kid with literally nothing because there is no food at all, not even in shops or to grow, does she ever think of selling everything and borrowing more than she can ever repay to be taken across a dangerous ocean to a country where many scorn her.

I know this the extreme but these people know real poverty and hardship not a few months without benefits.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I have quite a little name and I have to say, it was only when a friend who had two long names started work I realised how much I would resent having to type it out all the time (our workplace gave us firstnameDOTsurname emails)
Nothing stopping her changing Monroe to Hajicostas now she is established.

Reactions: 14
Inserting herself into a conversation by BME people about discrimination. That's grim.
It's the poor political prisoners that DM her I feel sorry for:
PP: "The regime came and took me from my home five years ago and I've been in solitary ever since. I am able to communicate with you via internet on account of reasons".
JM:"Hmmm yes, during poverty I was ordered to shut my legs and hurled from a first floor window in Southend Jobcentre so I know what you mean".
PP: "They won't even tell me if my wife is still alive.Please Jack,you must use your influence to help me"
JM: "Yes absolutely. BB stole all my Brexit tins and made a fox eat a hose. Then she said she trod on a pigeon but it wasn't a pigeon it was a glove."
PP: "Is this code?"
JM: "Bung it in a curry"

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Absolutely every word of this. There are many things to call Jack out for but speculating on why exactly she changed her name isn't it. This isn't the hardship olympics - she's allowed to have felt alienated by her surname even though of course her experience wouldn't have been anywhere near like that of a poor woman of colour. And I reckon she would have been pigeon holed (at least at first) as a cookbook writer by having an 'ethnic' surname - let's face it, Jack Monroe is kinda snappy and quirky and led to the whole 'girl called Jack' thing. It was a marketing dream, really. Plus she clearly struggles with her gender identity and is allowed to explore what that means, one of those ways being her name.

I don't think her experience isn't valid - having a really Russian surname, I can relate. However, it's the responding to the struggles of a woman of colour directly by tweet, which to me reads as she thinks they are equivalent - that I think is tone deaf and grating.

Reactions: 58
I just can't imagine the suffering of a white English woman with an unusual surname born and brought up in the south of England. It must have been a living hell.

"I am smol! It's the trainers that got big!"

"Alright Mr.Demille, I'm ready for my slop now"
#thread title "I am smol! It's the trainers that got big!"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29

I totally agree that she is allowed to change her mind and also agree that her surname is relatively 'difficult' (🔺 my daughter has an extremely Polish last name and despite being 4th generation on her dad's side her nursery was VERY persistent about her attending a club for second language speakers despite her not knowing a word of Polish :LOL:) but I still absolutely despise the way she felt the need to insert herself into this particular conversation!

on a completely unrelated note, I followed the Felicity Cloake recipe for shepherd's pie last night which included frying the lamb mince in beef dripping...NEVER AGAIN. I'm convinced my mouth is still coated in it a day later and it's making me feel very nauseous, so I seriously dread to think how long the taste of her lard-based Christmas dinner would take to disappear :sick:

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
PP: "Is this code?"
JM: "Bung it in a curry"
Genius.

Edit: Think I may have been a bit unintentionally curt in my praise but really, that whole comment is brilliant and the end in particular was bleeping genius. Cheers for the laugh @jenny2603

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
In comparison to say, Smith or Cooper (lol), Hadjicostas is ‘difficult’. It’s not ‘English’, she would have had to spell it out to some people, and she may have been picked on at school for having a Greek surname.

Yes, she changed it for perhaps questionable reasons, yes, she’s now retroactively regretting changing it now, and yes, she’s trying to insert herself into dialogue about BAME women and their names - all very shabby and very HER. But I would imagine for her, maybe it was difficult to have a Greek name at times, especially for someone who is at odds with who she really is.

I still think she’s a ghoul! Just seeing it from a different point of view. Maybe the main consensus is ‘It’s not a difficult name’, but it wasn’t our name.
I have an unusual surname, 🔺 one that looks different to how it is pronounced. I don't like to think of it as difficult, I prefer unusual or different. I did think at one time about changing it, but after talking to a guy at an LGBT group, he talked me out of it, so I didn't. I thought why should I, it's another thing that makes me different and stand out.

It made me the butt of many a joke in school, and I was certainly picked on for it. It sounds rude, and as a gay man, bullies at school slightly changed it to make it sound even worse. They did it to fit the bullying narrative. To this day people snigger when I say it. They soon get over it, especially when I stand there and just roll my eyes.

I have to spell my name for people, as it is not spelt the way it sounds. I can not blame people for not being able to spell a name they have never come across before, and it is better for me to tell them than for them to get it wrong. I don't think it is rude of them if they get it wrong and I haven't told them how to spell it though.

What does piss me off is when I have taken the time to spell it out, they STILL get it wrong.

She chose to change her name once, there is nothing to stop her changing it back should she so wish. Her followers would still follow her. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. A scammer by any other name would still be a scammer.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I don't think her experience isn't valid - having a really Russian surname, I can relate. However, it's the responding to the struggles of a woman of colour directly by tweet, which to me reads as she thinks they are equivalent - that I think is tone deaf and grating.
Yeah totally agree there - that's the narc in her though, innit. I think it's important we separate her narcissism and her personal experiences.

And FYI I love Russia so I'm dead jealous of your Russian name :LOL:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.