Jack Monroe #127 No-spend year

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Long post alert.

I used to work alongside some local authority bailiffs 🔺️. They never barged in or knocked daily. If the council tax payments were overdue, you'd get two written reminders before the big red final demand. If no payments made you'd get a letter about it being passed to the recovery team and potential consequences. If still no contact, eventually (and there is no time frame because, BUSY) the bailiff would go round. No aggressive knocks, no barging in. I would honestly say, their primary concern was making sure the council tax payer was OKAY. (Particularly at the beginning of their debt.. a few years later they were less sympathetic).

They didn't go in and document all of the personal possessions. They tried to create a suitable payment plan. Eg

Council tax is usually paid over 10 payments from April - January.
If bailiff arrives in December and no payments have been made, they would be happy to agree the next years min monthly payment (to avoid accruing more debt) plus (ideally) the current years debt / 12.
If that additional payment was too high, they could stretch to 36 months (for the existing DEBT, not the future payments).
If these payments were kept up, no further contact.
If they miss one, recovery reminder.
If they miss two, pops up on bailiff list to revist.
Another plan made.
If refusing to speak to local authority bailiffs then it gets passed to private bailiff firm. They can be known to behave in less desirable ways but even they wouldn't knock every day. Unless you have literally hundreds of debts with hundreds of debt management companies.

My point is, you get plenty of warnings. I understand that people bury their heads and it spirals out of control. But surely once you have come out the other side (which she has???), you'd use it as a learning experience and you'd be armed with the knowledge that it doesn't HAVE to be a scary and traumatic time. If you stay in contact, if you engage, if you show you are trying to pay and clear your debts, there is nothing to be afraid of.

I don't understand why she's still terrified if she's paying her bills on time now.

*I have no knowledge of debts with private companies like Cotswold/John Lewis etc. In fact, aside from Council Tax Debt, my knowledge of debt is very minimal. I have been fortunate enough to have never experienced it. The thought of having a credit card terrifies me. I don't buy anything unless I already have the money for it. I would be an absolute MESS if circumstances changed and we were unable to afford actual bills. But I know enough now (having worked in a debt department) to know not to just ignore companies. So surely she should too (having actually experienced it... or is it that she hasn't experienced it at all......)?

☹☹☹
All absolutely spot on. My experience was in debt advice so I was negotiating with creditors a lot and in my experience they're far more likely to repeatedly write and phone than send out debt collectors for obvious reasons of cost. It's also worth pointing out that Jack was on benefits at this time so would have been receiving council tax benefit and could have arranged to have her arrears taken via direct deductions. Clearly priority debts like housing costs, council tax and so on need to be paid but there is always room for negotiation. Taking people to court and evictions cost money, if a creditor has a decent chance of recovering their money via informal agreement then 99% of the time they'll take it.

If Jack had a genuine interest in anti-poverty work she could use her platform to urge people to seek help from one of the many free debt advice agencies and deal with their problems. It's not always easy and no one is going to wave a magic wand but there is always a way out of these situations. However as she prioritises poverty larping and humiliating her childs father and her parents, we get this.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I’m guessing by the slow movement of this thread today that our Jackie is MIA? I imagine she’s curled up in a teeny tiny smol feline fluff ball crying the loss of her first protégé Albert Roux, she taught him everything he knew about a horse spunk sauce roux

Reactions: 24
All absolutely spot on. My experience was in debt advice so I was negotiating with creditors a lot and in my experience they're far more likely to repeatedly write and phone than send out debt collectors for obvious reasons of cost. It's also worth pointing out that Jack was on benefits at this time so would have been receiving council tax benefit and could have arranged to have her arrears taken via direct deductions. Clearly priority debts like housing costs, council tax and so on need to be paid but there is always room for negotiation. Taking people to court and evictions cost money, if a creditor has a decent chance of recovering their money via informal agreement then 99% of the time they'll take it.

If Jack had a genuine interest in anti-poverty work she could use her platform to urge people to seek help from one of the many free debt advice agencies and deal with their problems. It's not always easy and no one is going to wave a magic wand but there is always a way out of these situations. However as she prioritises poverty larping and humiliating her childs father and her parents, we get this.
My cousin used to work for a mortgage company and pretty much said the same thing.
Repossession of property is very expensive and they will do their upmost to avoid it, presumably the same for other debt collections.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I’m guessing by the slow movement of this thread today that our Jackie is MIA? I imagine she’s curled up in a teeny tiny smol feline fluff ball crying the loss of her first protégé Albert Roux, she taught him everything he knew about a horse spunk sauce roux

First of all, genuine sadness at the passing of a culinary giant. Along with his recently departed brother, Michel Roux Snr., Albert started a transformation of the entire UK restaurant industry in 1967. Both were pivotal in identifying, training and supporting dozens of our greatest chefs for over 50 years.

As for the fake-covid, cancer-imitating, scamming fraudster from Southend, I will leave her old friend, David Walliams, to sum up her contribution.

1609938460437.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

Correct. And how can you take the risk to trigger others and let them develop fear that they might face a similar situation, same as with the fear/hinted possibilty that a child could be taken into custody if the mum is poor. She takes her own fears really seriously but not everyone else's. She does not care. It is forever about HER.
I am repeating my point I made a while ago that she is not sensitive with other vulnerable people/situations when she should be in a situation to empathise because she is also (claiming to be) disabled or poor.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
But but but don't tell me Lockdown Larder is over already :cry:

This is the problem with just using one thread/indeterminate time - people forget as soon as it drops from their feeds (I imagine this was her plan, she just wanted the initial glory and likes...)

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Sorry to bring things back to the custard cake, but I honestly HATE it when she does this. Probably went to look for it but then got distracted by frotting herself over the SHEER POWER of her own writing.

View attachment 374356
it drives me crazy too! why not just wait until you find the recipe to post
well, good thing she has a lot of practice with resting after her 'doctor prescribed' forced rest from burnout recently.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
well, good thing she has a lot of practice with resting after her 'doctor prescribed' forced rest from burnout recently.
But she's available for commissions innit 🤪

Nothing says 'I'll do a good job and do it on time' than a self indulgent woe is me missive whilst you're supposed to be working to a deadline which has ALREADY been extended multiple times.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72
I thought we could rest assured because her twitter finger worked fine. Genuine lol about her making sure paid work is still doable. She’s as shameless as she is predictable.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
How is she sleeping for 12 hours a day? What about her son? God she is so selfish and lazy. Not too weak to tweet crap all day but too weak to properly parent.

Reactions: 40
I see she is being as vigilant as ever with keeping Louisa's identity private too - definitely no specific, personal details dropped in there at all

• Haha
Reactions: 65
Going back to Jack's poor credit rating. If it is true she moved house so often, then that can affect credit rating especially since it would mean constantly updating the electoral roll. A long lapse between jobs can also be a factor. But most likely of all is that she is so tit at handling her own money and has likely overdrawn her account or gotten furniture on a payment plan and failed to meet all the payments. She just can't help spunk her big advances on shite. It can tale 6 years in Scotland (not sure about England) for a negative entry on your credit file to drop off. Then you have a clean slate but you have to start from scratch building your credit rating. Jack, things that help are staying at the same address for a few years, having a credit card you pay off each month to show you can manage debt and having a regular income. Pro tip, stay with the same bank or building society to build up a good relationship and get benefits/discounts when it comes to applying for a mortgage. But I suppose all that isn't maverick enough for you.

Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.