Jack Monroe #124 Jack Monroe has and had covid, coronavirus, rona, covid-19 and long covid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh my god, what kind of school do you work at?! We never get our temperatures checked. Occasionally the headteacher’s PA comes round with hand sanitiser.
A ridiculous international school in the middle East. But I worked in UK ‘challenging’ schools for over a decade first.

Reactions: 24
Good question, I’m relatively new to her antics too, was Bootstrap her first published book? If not why would she need a fund to “kickstart” her publishing catastrophe career?

Apart from that, there were a load of stories about how using Kickstarter and other pledging sites to gain support was a way to make an absolute fortune, as the creators wouldn't be reliant upon miserly royalties whilst somebody else who knew what they were doing would trouser (TRAAZER?) the profits. Most people who did it found out fairly quickly that it didn't matter how good they were at creative content - or not in the case of some -they were almost all utterly lacking in the ability to produce, manufacture, market and distribute their products. And some lost the lot before it ever left the accounts of the pledging sites.

Which is why so many moved onto Patreon, Kofi, affiliate links and suchlike.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Pie Jesu she's lost a Patreon. A small thing but a sign of accountability.

I hope it was an angry thrifty shades of beiger.

#justiceforthriftyshadesofbeigepatreons

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
At a guess, to make more money by self-publishing when she had already built a following for herself. But it all went tits up.
I think you and the other fraus have answered my questions. I (like many others) assumed that “kickstarter” was to get you up and running, as the name would suggest, but actually Jack had spent all the money she made on her initial books and wanted to take advantage of people’s good will...bleep! 😡

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Gosh, I have been busy these last few days you know how it is. I keep have quick reads when I get a second. I keep hoping she shuts up and goes away till the new year. She is horrid, embarrassing and extremely selfish.

She doesn't seem to have one single decent bone in her body. She is absolutely shameless!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 31
“Pledge £4000 and I will personally pick you up
from your house on my specially adapted, slop powered sled.
I will take you on a tour of the cobbled mediterranean streets of *checks notes*... south end, we will wave excitedly to the group of delighted children eating greek food behind the orthodox church.....”

Genuinely surprised one of the tiers didn’t include a rocket ride to the moon..

• Haha
Yes, the Kickstarter was when I first began to smell a rat. She had endless excuses of mental and physical ill health, accidents, incidents, problems at home and with services and equipment, emails going missing, computer/phone crash.... ad nauseam, Months went by with no response from her despite previous assurances about delivery dates. Her over- the -top rude responses to the very tiny number of polite comments questioning what was happening. And as for the even tinier handful who eventually challenged her without being obsequious towards her mental health issues, they were blamed for months of mental torture which rendered her incapable of continuing. Even her eventual apology was so self serving and lacking in grace -and actual apology- something like 'with hindsight I'd have done it differently but really I couldn't help it and you were all fuckers'. At the same time as being paralysed with so much incapacity and misfortune that she couldn't possibly make any updates or reply to anyone on Kickstarter, she was daily tweeting in a prolific fashion. I didn't back it myself. I just couldn't understand how her many backers not only put up with this codswallop , but continually defended her. Here is the Kickstarter, you can see all the comments and time line, her updates became 'backers only' but are available I think in the beginning and at the end.
Babe, same. I so nearly backed that Kickstarter but decided against it. I remember her being on Twitter and Instagram CONSTANTLY while the Kickstarter page just got ignored. The audacity of all those self-piteous updates, full of lies and excuses, and painting her backers - the poor fools who handed her £68,000 - as bullies and harassers!

I knew then she was a con artist. Didn’t realise she’d still be conning people in 2020 though.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
I have the Bootstrap book, it hasn’t gone in the recycling purely because it lines up with my other red cookbooks 🤷‍♀️ I know I’m a dick, but I do at least use all of the others! The Bootstrap book I’ve got was not a Kickstarter one and I’ve only just realised that they are one and the same. Like, I knew there was a Kickstarter book but didn’t realise it was this one. So the backers waited years and got moaned at, and eventually received a crappy small book on poor quality paper with black and white illustrations. My one was published in 2018 too, by Carole Tonkinson at Bluebird and has glossy photographs/pages. So those poor backers went through all of that, only for her to sell out in the end anyway and sell a better version on Amazon!! It’s astonishing that she got away with that.
C298D8DE-6270-48A6-924B-C6299C062BCD.jpeg

My version has photographs and a few illustrations here and there.

• Wow
  • Heart
It’s a shame bullshit isn’t on the veganuary menus or Jack would be on to a winner!

It’s interesting reading the Kickstarter comments that a lot of the complaints could have been written about the promises she still makes. No lessons learned at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Oh wait, I'm finding more and more emails from Mackie Jonroe (via Kickstarter):

TOOT TOOT! BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT!

Hello lovely readers and backers. I can only apologise profusely for the delay in the Kickstarter edition of Cooking On A Bootstrap - I have been ridiculously busy with a lot of balls in the air, and on top of that, my health has been pretty rubbish recently. I spent last weekend in A&E. I've been sick on and off for months. I've had dark spells of depression and immobility..................blah blah......

And as an apology for the delay, I will be sending every single backer a signed print of one of the illustrations from Cooking On A Bootstrap, to say thankyou for bearing with me, and for understanding, and for supporting.

I'm hugely sorry if anyone is disappointed by the delay - I am my own biggest critic and have been beating myself up emotionally about it for weeks - but I would rather deliver a brilliant, tested, proof read, joyous book a little late, than a rushed, sloppy useless one on time. It was always going to be ambitious. I have learned a lesson about taking too much on and overestimating the number of hours in a week (I currently work around 90!), and I hope you'll love it.

(If anyone is so disappointed that they want a refund on the book, please email me directly on [email protected]and we can sort it out. I will be happy to try to resolve it, and will donate your pledged-for copy as part of the libraries and schools scheme instead.)
I was also one of the kickstarter backers, though I was a student at the time so I was able to get one on the cheapest tier. Waited literal years for the book to arrive, and it was pretty disappointing considering she then got it traditionally published and sold on amazon in full colour (kickstarter version was black and white), with a full index (KS version didn't have one at all), and CHEAPER than the KS version...and it went on sale BEFORE backers got their copies. Just goes to show she cares more about the money than the backers I guess. I also never received this promised signed print...

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 74
This article, published when the Kickstarter was just launched, contains this quote:
“Monroe did not approach any publishers with the third book, partly because they didn’t want to keep readers waiting for the 12-18 months it would take a mainstream publisher to release it.”
And as it turned out, it took her in excess of two years, and some people apparently never received their copies. What an absolute shitshow.
😂😂😂😂

Sorry everyone I hadn’t grunked just yelled into the void

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
This article, published when the Kickstarter was just launched, contains this quote:
“Monroe did not approach any publishers with the third book, partly because they didn’t want to keep readers waiting for the 12-18 months it would take a mainstream publisher to release it.”
And as it turned out, it took her in excess of two years, and some people apparently never received their copies. What an absolute shitshow.
😂😂😂😂

duck Me! I sensed there would be a hilarious explanation and you did not disappoint. Does that not just sum up the ego on her? I, Jack Monroe can deliver a book faster and better than a publisher, my readers must not be kept waiting for new slop because reasons. A two year wait between books is pretty quick really. To arrogantly assume she's better and more efficient than a publisher then turn on the people misguided enough to take her at her word is just breathtaking.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
How many different bloody email addresses does she have?!?!!! Every time she asks someone to email her she provides a different one each time. Complete chaos. But then, we've all seen her cutlery drawer which I think is a good representation of the other aspects of her life.

@gmail.com

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
I have the Bootstrap book, it hasn’t gone in the recycling purely because it lines up with my other red cookbooks 🤷‍♀️ I know I’m a dick, but I do at least use all of the others! The Bootstrap book I’ve got was not a Kickstarter one and I’ve only just realised that they are one and the same. Like, I knew there was a Kickstarter book but didn’t realise it was this one. So the backers waited years and got moaned at, and eventually received a crappy small book on poor quality paper with black and white illustrations. My one was published in 2018 too, by Carole Tonkinson at Bluebird and has glossy photographs/pages. So those poor backers went through all of that, only for her to sell out in the end anyway and sell a better version on Amazon!! It’s astonishing that she got away with that.
View attachment 363836
My version has photographs and a few illustrations here and there.
Yup I had this version before I got rid. Never
made a single recipe from it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Jack doesn’t have the commitment to be good at anything requiring effort. Sewing, knitting...she could spend all the money in the world on nice stuff but it’s not going to make her a chef or a seamstress or good knitter.

Her only commitment is to her narrative, “fame”, and lies.

(And for the record I think it’s great to dabble in crafts we aren’t good at, mastery of a craft is great but not the be all end all—it’s more that she wants to spend money or toot her own horn creating a ruse that she’s great at something when really, she’s a beginner at everything.)
Thread suggestion:
Jack of All Trades, Master of the Grift...

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.