Jack Monroe #124 Jack Monroe has and had covid, coronavirus, rona, covid-19 and long covid

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She already completed it mate, she done the co-ordinates for the BBC where we think she first met Louisa Compton who gave her covid and stole her Brexit tins
All the bike rides between London and Saaaarfend, every time bags full of Brexit tins...it all makes sense now.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Wasn’t there an issue that people got cheap photocopies not the real book which was in fact cheaper than what they’d paid for 2 years previously?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
I can answer the coffee one.

I experienced that in early November, just after going back to work after a two week wonder, thanks to a colleague testing positive (very ill with it, young, slim, a runner, but was rushed to hospital a month later with chest pains when she thought she was better) and made my usual black coffee, wandered back to my desk - and it tasted like dishwater. I sniffed it. Nothing. I tasted it again. Nothing at all.

Of course, I thought 'Oh, tit, being so ill in April must have been a coincidence THEN and I've got bleeping Covid NOW'. Checked my temperature, it was slightly raised (I use the work one on myself every morning as a baseline for testing others) from a day in, day out, 36.2 to 36.4. tit. tit. tit. Do I walk out of work and phone them on the way? Crap, crap, fuckity-crap.'

And then another colleague came in. Complaining the somebody had refilled the coffee jar with sodding Decaff.

Went back, made another from the actual coffee, not the dust and sadness that is decaf. Perfect. Drama over by 7.15am.
Haha we have the thermal scanner cameras for the kids, but staff get done by a guy at the gate through the car window. I know from the olden days tracking fertility that your temperature spikes when you are ovulating- the guard in the gate could tell you the menstral cycle of everyone in the school by now! 36.1 is my baseline.

I can only dream of Jack’s record breaking coffee thermometer.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Re the Kickstarter: she says here that after two years (TWO YEARS!!), the book is worth the wait.
Except that I recall that many subscribers didn’t agree. Many books apparently arrived damaged due to inadequate packaging. The book was in black and white, was generally poor quality with crappy line drawings and NO INDEX. What is worse, Jack had by then found another book deal and a colour version of the same book (with index) was available on Amazon.
A number of people were annoyed that, although Jack was constantly regaling them with a list of excuses for the delay - usually related to alleged health conditions - she was also regularly pictured in the press at the time at some swanky event or other, which just annoyed her backers even more.
It really is worth a read through the comments on that Kickstarter if you want to get the measure of how truly ghastly she is.
So is that really what that pile of books was about?
Trying to buy back all the 'Kickstarter Books' so that iteration of Jack can be airbrushed from history?
What Kickstarter? Show me the books ever existed?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
I reeeeally want to see the illustrations included in place of real food photos (so as not to distract from the instructions, apparently). Does anyone have a copy??
She claims they were sourced from local illustrators, id love to know too whether they were paid...

I found this from way back on her Facebook page.
Screenshot_20201229-190452.png

Screenshot_20201229-190519.png

EDIT: Also find it highly amusing that she might be putting a call out in the future for squiggles 🤭

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 76
Wasn’t there an issue that people got cheap photocopies not the real book which was in fact cheaper than what they’d paid for 2 years previously?
It was black and white. Full of the drawings Jack did of Sainsburys tins which I still don’t understand how it doesn’t breach copyright.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
Yes, the Kickstarter was when I first began to smell a rat. She had endless excuses of mental and physical ill health, accidents, incidents, problems at home and with services and equipment, emails going missing, computer/phone crash.... ad nauseam, Months went by with no response from her despite previous assurances about delivery dates. Her over- the -top rude responses to the very tiny number of polite comments questioning what was happening. And as for the even tinier handful who eventually challenged her without being obsequious towards her mental health issues, they were blamed for months of mental torture which rendered her incapable of continuing. Even her eventual apology was so self serving and lacking in grace -and actual apology- something like 'with hindsight I'd have done it differently but really I couldn't help it and you were all fuckers'. At the same time as being paralysed with so much incapacity and misfortune that she couldn't possibly make any updates or reply to anyone on Kickstarter, she was daily tweeting in a prolific fashion. I didn't back it myself. I just couldn't understand how her many backers not only put up with this codswallop , but continually defended her. Here is the Kickstarter, you can see all the comments and time line, her updates became 'backers only' but are available I think in the beginning and at the end.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Speaking of cons: the recent delete spree has removed all trace of Thrify Shades of Beige from Twitter.

We still haven't seen any evidence of the recipe cards which should have been posted every week since mid-October.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 76
“in the spirit of christmas, can everyone who’s
paid me their hard earned money for precisely duck all, please give me some spaceWAAAAAAAAA”

What a self pitying tit house. Her whining emails are unbearable to read.
Zero sense of personal responsibility what so ever.
I would love to see a list of every illness/accident/hospital trip she’s used as an excuse in order to avoid being held accountable.
I seriously can’t believe there aren’t more people speaking up about her!

Jesus H Christ I’ve just been scanning through the Kickstarter comments, what a shitshow. Her updates are making me HOWL though - how DARE you bunch of bullies SNIPE and GRIPE at me to deliver a product you’ve literally paid for. Your refund’s on the way, babes.
View attachment 363703

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 54
I backed the kickstarter but after months and months of woe is me messages I actually stopped reading the updates. My book was meant to be signed I think, but it wasn't. I also bought some postcards which they said were helping them to pay the bills, but the postcards weren't very good quality at all. I have three books now and I haven't read nor used them so they are being donated next week (yes, I'm a cookery book hoarder).

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 58
This is will be old hat to some of you but I'm still relatively new to Jack Watching as a sport so forgive me for seeking a brief recap. Why was the book on Kickstarter in the first place? Judging from the rest of the slop collections she pumps out she doesn't seem to have much difficulty getting published. Really what I'm asking is have I missed a hilarious chaos?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
View attachment 363277
“Marriage” 🤣. Jack, you absolute plonker. Your house is so huge you could easily go without seeing each other all day. It went ‘kablam’ because you’re an insufferable fibbing whingehole.
My God, she has absolutely NO self awareness. Absolutely infuriating. I'm working from my kitchen table because I don't have room anywhere else as I'm sure a lot of people are! But what really boils my piss is that she thinks she has a 24/7 job!! For the love of Christ! Louisa almost certainly does but wtf does Jack do 24/7 aside from piss around on social media (which she is very, very bad at)? Your relationship went kablam fast like all of your relationships - because of you Jack!!! It's not work, it's YOU.

Reactions: 44
This is will be old hat to some of you but I'm still relatively new to Jack Watching as a sport so forgive me for seeking a brief recap. Why was the book on Kickstarter in the first place? Judging from the rest of the slop collections she pumps out she doesn't seem to have much difficulty getting published. Really what I'm asking is have I missed a hilarious chaos?
Good question, I’m relatively new to her antics too, was Bootstrap her first published book? If not why would she need a fund to “kickstart” her publishing catastrophe career?

• Heart
Reactions: 24
This article, published when the Kickstarter was just launched, contains this quote:
“Monroe did not approach any publishers with the third book, partly because they didn’t want to keep readers waiting for the 12-18 months it would take a mainstream publisher to release it.”
And as it turned out, it took her in excess of two years, and some people apparently never received their copies. What an absolute shitshow.
😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
I backed the kickstarter but after months and months of woe is me messages I actually stopped reading the updates. My book was meant to be signed I think, but it wasn't. I also bought some postcards which they said were helping them to pay the bills, but the postcards weren't very good quality at all. I have three books now and I haven't read nor used them so they are being donated next week (yes, I'm a cookery book hoarder).
Babe, same. I purged my two JM cook books last week (or two wweks ago, who knows, time expands easily in the JM universe) as I was never cooking with them.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Details are a bit fuzzy, but she was dropped by her first publisher (Penguin). Her first book sold well, but her second (the Allegra-inspired attempt to give up rinsing beans and make normal food) didn't. She believes this is because her emphasis on seasonality meant that it was ahead of its time. No comment here.

What isn't clear to me is that somewhere in these early years, either her publisher or agent apparently stole an enormous amount of money from her. I guess this incident may also have inspired her to self-publish? I heard someone say that she also once claimed that the publisher dropped her for being trans, but I've never seen a receipt for that.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.