Jack Monroe #12 Eight thousand pages from her printer, this could take us through to winter.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a quick look at the Twitter account of JM’s mother. Loads of complaints about various companies and people not doing their jobs properly. Oh the irony.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Also would genuinely love to be taught to put up a shelf 😂 Does anyone here have tips on drilling into fresh plaster? We’re in a proper brick house the whole idea fills me with utter dread, I don’t wanna duck the house up!
So you have plastered brick walls? How fresh is the plaster? Anything over a week, assuming it's skimmed, should be fine to drill into.

Things you'll need. Shelf + brackets (unless it's one of those magic ones, then just screws), rawlplugs/wallplugs, and screws to fit them. Longish if you can drill deep enough, spirit level, pencil, masking tape, tape measure. Hammer drill and masonry drill bit.

Two important things. 1) Make sure there's no electricity or water where you are drilling. Water isn't a problem in most rooms, unless your radiator pipes are behind the walls, but it should be fairly obvious where they might be. Electrics can be tricker, but you can buy a gizmo, or have a google for how to tell where electric cables generally are. I haven't ever used a gizmo, just followed the guidance, but if you're worried you can. 2) Measuring and checking things are level. Some brackets allow for a bit of a mistake when drilling, have a slot rather than a hole for the screw, but lots don't. So measure from ceiling to where you want the shelf to be, and measure distance apart for brackets, mark with the pencil (cross rather than dot) and then use the level to check that your ceiling is in fact straight and the holes are actually level (mine aren't as my house is 100+ years old). Adjust until you're happy.

Then you need a masonry (ones made of carbide or tungsten are the strongest) drill bit, and a fairly powerful drill, ideally a hammer drill, I bought a corded as they are cheaper but have enough oomph. If you're worried about the plaster cracking, then masking tape over the area you're going to drill is a sensible precaution. Go slow at the start, to get through the plaster (lowest drill setting) that will help prevent cracks. Drill as deep as you need, let the bit do the work, don't put too much pressure on it, then reverse direction on the drill and run it while you, ahem, pull out. You want to drill a hole that is big enough to fit your wallplug, but not so big it moves around. Check the bit against the wallplug before you start. Then screw the brackets in, I normally do this with the drill, with a screwdriver attachment. Shelf on and fix it to brackets, however indicated. If no instructions, then you just need small wood screws (assuming wood shelf) to fix it. Again I'd use the drill, but you can do it by hand. *

Ta-daa! Shelf! 😀

*Vague credentials: I used to be a builder's apprentice years ago, and was taught a lot of DIY by my dad. I'm a little cavalier though, so hopefully haven't missed anything important out.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
So, after waiting patiently for a fascia to arrive so I could go to the garage and have my new car stereo be fitted so I can FINALLY (after a month of waiting) have my Apple Music in the car - only to find the bloke was off and I’d have to wait till Tuesday.

In a flash of inspiration, I went in the house, got the toolkit out and fitted it all myself. Brand new stereo and facia and saved myself £30 on fitting cost. It’s all working perfectly and I think I need a new career 😉

You know why I did it? Because this thread is full of inspiration and people doing random things makes you want to do random things. So I did. And now I’m dead proud of myself.

Despite the fact JM is an idiot and we could tweet about her till the cows come home, we’ve got a merry band of people going on here and I’m thankful to call each and every one of you my fellow Tattlers. I would say when this is over.....but we all know with JM she just gives so much ammunition.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I'm sure some of the suggestions of car maintenance, using dangerous tools, and fire safety are trollng her. Also someone has said 'wow, that has to be the basis of a tv series, anyone here want to 'fess up?

I'd add reasons for varying fat content of mince, how to make a sour dough starter, and the importance of hygiene when cooking.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
So, after waiting patiently for a facia to arrive so I could go to the garage and have my new car stereo be fitted so I can FINALLY (after a month of waiting) have my Apple Music in the car - only to find the bloke was off and I’d have to wait till Tuesday.

In a flash of inspiration, I went in the house, got the toolkit out and fitted it all myself. Brand new stereo and facia and saved myself £30 on fitting cost. It’s all working perfectly and I think I need a new career 😉

You know why I did it? Because this thread is full of inspiration and people doing random things makes you want to do random things. So I did. And now I’m dead proud of myself.

Despite the fact JM is an idiot and we could tweet about her till the cows come home, we’ve got a merry band of people going on here and I’m thankful to call each and every one of you my fellow Tattlers. I would say when this is over.....but we all know with JM she just gives so much ammunition.
Babes that was so heart warming to read and really inspirational.
You should start a blog about your experience and subsequently write a series of books that follow up on this.
The struggle is real!

For the avoidance of doubt, all of this is scripted banter, and both @PennyLoafer and I OK it each morning in rehearsals. OK, babes? (y)
Plus you can just delete it if you want hun

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh. My. God. Thinking to myself that after DKL finished this thread would be quiet/mostly talk of Matt’s arms/occasional houseplant chat so I didn’t read. Decided to see what was occurring as my older comments were being liked (I love it when that happens) AND HOLY tit she’s had a right Twitter tantrum hasn’t she?

Now I’m sad I missed it all, but also relieved I won’t have to appear in court. I’ll come visit you all in prison and get you snacks from the vending machines

• Haha
Reactions: 18
duck me the fourth one down is classic!
"Listen son, it's quite simple. You earn a tit load, pay yourself minimum wage, work 2000 hours per week and then stash the rest in the bank for when you want to buy designer jackets and perfume....GOT THAT?"
Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 15.28.08.png

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Could you not just ask fearless Eddie to take a shot at it?

P.S. Was going to use this gif, but concerned that it was less printer-friendly.

Lmaooo I could but I like the illusion of being an independent woman! I stripped all the wallpaper & painted most the house myself, I bleeping loved it. He did put up the blinds in our bedroom & did a great job tho. Maybe I should give up and admit I am just the house frau...

Reactions: 11
So, after waiting patiently for a fascia to arrive so I could go to the garage and have my new car stereo be fitted so I can FINALLY (after a month of waiting) have my Apple Music in the car - only to find the bloke was off and I’d have to wait till Tuesday.

I do love this thread and the wisdom here ☺ I've discovered new foodie people I hadn't heard of, new recipes to try and new books to take a look at. It's been fab. Said to my husband yesterday (who is still trying to wrap his head around what Tattle actually is) that it's funny how one nob head can inspire so much intelligent and witty conversation 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.