Jack Monroe #108 You’re really good on camera mate, honestly

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That she was shocked that someone considers her hard work is priceless🤣🤣🤣 and to then take it to Twitter for a bit of ego stroking sympathy is comedy gold.

• Haha
Reactions: 67
So how long do we think alphabet tweet will last? I think she won't 'go viral' with it today and we'll get another Zoe Catastrophe tomorrow.

Reactions: 37
Harking back to the previous thread and the pick 'n' mix reference (Poca's recap reminded me) what did she mean by that? It's genuinely a bit lost of me, like she was just spouting random nouns. "I'm not a bleeping curtain/tangerine/footstool!"

I quite like pick 'n' mix as an analogy for human beings. We're all a little bit of lots of things and no-one is quite the same. I guess that doesn't really fit in with her rigid categorising/labelling though - "I am ADHD."

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
View attachment 318516
Haven’t we already had this one, toot sweets?
Nigel Slater was on the radio the other day mithering on about crumpets (seriously, he spent about ten minutes just talking by himself about how to butter them.) Interestingly, he does not make his own. He buys them. It makes sense to buy them. They're not that expensive, and when you're working hard, leaving early in the morning, coming back in the evening, and just need a carbohydrate/hot butter fix, last thing you want to do is to faff about making them...

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 65
Google, squiggle?!

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 08.01.44.png

Literally - if you just type in 'Jack Monroe orange salt' it comes straight up.

I do worry for these squiggles who seem to be a sandwich short of a picnic.

• Haha
Reactions: 83
I mentioned on the F&D thread that I taught a blind student this week, so Jack was particularly pissing me off. Having ruminated a little further, I think it's this:

My student told me that she hates people defining her by her disability. She is a blind person, and there's no getting around that (she also hates people pretending not to notice and going "you can do anything!" because, like...driving? No), but "blind" is not a personality trait. Coincidentally, I also had a student this week who works as a sign language interpreter, so there were some interesting discussions about disabilities and how we react to them.

Reality: we need to tailor things to be friendly to people with disabilities. This week, for example, I never wrote anything on the board without saying it out loud, I removed a few video- and photo-based activities, and so on.

Jack world: "...so that's why we use the present perfect continuous here. Do you all see what I mean? OH tit, SORRY, I SHOULDN'T HAVE SAID THAT! I'm so sorry María, of course you can't see, can you? Now, moving on, has anyone been watching an interesting series lately? Not you María, you can't watch things of course, but maybe you could listen to a series?"

Who the duck wants to live like that, with people around them constantly singling them out and drawing attention to their medical conditions?

I have GAD and I spent more than half my life battling bulimia. I do not introduce myself as "HELLO I HAVE ANXIETY SO IF I FREAK OUT PLEASE #BEKIND."

This is the most annoying Jack yet, I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 90
Yesterday, Jack RT someone about the freelancer pay gap and they had a link to this is their profile https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...9LZB_02b7r5izja-DWrJjg/viewform?usp=send_form (it takes you to a google doc). Quite interesting and gives an idea on what she’d be paid.
Last I looked, ITV weren’t on there and I’d expect This Morning slots pay quite a lot.

Also, that passive aggressive, dripping in sarcasm “oh what a dreadful housemate I am for cooking” insta post yesterday - Louisa’s already left again hasn’t she? Or moaned Jack’s behaviour again.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
Nigel Slater was on the radio the other day mithering on about crumpets (seriously, he spent about ten minutes just talking by himself about how to butter them.) Interestingly, he does not make his own. He buys them. It makes sense to buy them. They're not that expensive, and when you're working hard, leaving early in the morning, coming back in the evening, and just need a carbohydrate/hot butter fix, last thing you want to do is to faff about making them...
Her food to be his all a bit of an unnecessary faff. Her recipies don't seem to be here's a 5 minute crumpet mixture it all takes 5000 years.

I like to make Good food but quickly because you know..
Busy

Last edited:
Reactions: 32
Her food to be his all a bit of an unnecessary faff. Her recipies don't seem to be here's a 5 minute crumpet mixture it all takes 5000 years.

I like to make God food but quickly because you know..
Busy
God food? Fancy!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Everyone just wants to be known for the impact they make, by doing a good job, not by how their illness or disability defines them. I have a learning difficulty and although I am not embarrassed of it, I only tell people when i feel I need to other than that I carry on as I am. There are times when I struggle and that's fustrating but I pick myself up and dust myself off and carry on.

• Heart
Reactions: 65
Well..... aren't you lot an absolute bunch of wonderful and understanding and inspirational humans. Everyone who has contributed to this whole labelling talk. I'm literally screaming inside at Jack for her stupidity in all she is saying. Many have worked so so hard to move away from what she is declaring we all should do! We are not our illnesses or disabilities, they do not define us, we do not use them as an excuse! We embrace them and adapt and develop and progress and with support and confidence overcome hurdles as they arise. I for one will not be labelling all my issues and ailments. Because I am SO OVER THAT.
Now duck OFF JACK and everyone else come here for a hug! That includes those delightful sheep!

• Heart
Reactions: 90
Royal Academy of what , I can’t see what the ever so easy going and placid Jack is referring to.
That's what I've been wondering. The Royal Academy on its own usually refers to the Royal Academy of Art, and they're the ones who use the abbreciation RA, but they don't have Fellows, they have Academicians. To become an RA you have to be (a) under 75, (b) professionally active as an artist or architect in the UK, (c) nominated by an existing RA and (d) have your nomination supported by another eight RAs. Then you become a candidate and new RAs are voted in from the candidate list three times a year IF there is a vacancy - there are a maximum of 80 RAs at any one time and new ones are only admitted if there's a death or an RA reaches 75 and becomes a Senior RA.

So either Jack is lying or she's doing the equivalent of the time I told someone I got my dress at Selfridges when it was in fact Miss Selfridge.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 108
Google, squiggle?!

View attachment 318519

I do worry for these squiggles who seem to be a jaggedy, pickle-heavy, batshit-crazy-filling, not-ouchy-mouth-friendly crisp sandwich short of a picnic.
FTFY. 😊
Too short? Bugger.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
It’s still there in all its ridiculousness. For me, anyway.
After a quick Google, it's clear that fellowship of the RSA can be applied for, there are 30000 'fellows'. It seems fairly unlikely that they just sent her a letter out of the blue asking her to be a fellow, there's an interview process apparently etc etc, if it isn't complete bullshit it has a very heavy lying by omission smell to it.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
After a quick Google, it's clear that fellowship of the RSA can be applied for, there are 30000 'fellows'. It seems fairly unlikely that they just sent her a letter out of the blue asking her to be a fellow, there's an interview process apparently etc etc, if it isn't complete bullshit it has a very heavy lying by omission smell to it.
But that's the RSA, not the RA. You know she is forensic in her detail. There's no way she would get them mixed up, would she?:rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
After all that chaos, my money is on SHE LEFT (I know that doesn’t make grammatical sense, but wanted to stay on brand!)

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Google, squiggle?!

View attachment 318519

I do worry for these squiggles who seem to be a sandwich short of a picnic.
I've looked at her recipe for "orange salt"

1 It's not salt

2 She uses clementines, (so it is neither orange nor salt)

3 She says that she is meticulous in making sure no two pieces of "orange" peel touch. Then shows a picture with "orange" peel spread on a baking tray ready for the oven. It is touching, overlapping and in a pile.🤷‍♂️

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.