J. K. Rowling #2 JK and the Chamber of Mysogyny

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
... You do realise I am talking about Twelfth Night?
If you refer indiscriminately to 'Shakespeare plays', of which there are many, it can't reasonably be assumed we will all guess the one particular play you're thinking of given that there are lots of issues around women in Shakespeare. Not overly familiar with Twelfth Night personally, but if I recall isn't it one of the rare ones that portrays women as having a lot of power? So not sure what relevance this has to drag.

Reactions: 15
... You do realise I am talking about Twelfth Night?
Lol so because she said she doesn't like drag, you asked her if that means she doesn't like one specific play, that you don't even name? You're hilarious, people like you always clutching at straws to try trip people up when this entire new trans ideology doesn't even have a leg to stand on šŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I thought people who hate drag would know about its history and how often it is featured in Shakespeare (in text and contemporary adaptations). My bad šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

I thought people who hate drag would know about its history and how often it is featured in Shakespeare (in text and contemporary adaptations). My bad šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
If you bothered to read either of the posts by JewelKitty or I replying to you about this, we both clearly acknowledged drag in Shakespeare? So what exactly is your point, if there even is one here?

Reactions: 9
Yeah I don't get the point you're trying to make either. No one here who said they don't like drag said they were fans of the Twelfth Night, so no hypocrisy there which you seem to be after...

Reactions: 8
Yeah I don't get the point you're trying to make either. No one here who said they don't like drag said they were fans of the Twelfth Night, so no hypocrisy there which you seem to be after...
I don't think I've read or watched Shakespeare since A level English. I wish I could pretend this is some big feminist power move, but frankly I just find his plays quite dull on the whole (sorry to any lovers of the Bard!)

Reactions: 6
I think there's a big difference between contemporary issues and things which historically were the norm. Just because something is considered wrong in this age doesn't mean it should be scrubbed from use altogether. One can be irked by drag yet still respect the historical context of Shakespeare.

Reactions: 15
A man dressing up as a woman in the 16th century is incomparable with drag today. I can't believe anyone would be so dense as to try to compare them.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

In Shakespeareā€™s time, actresses were not permitted, only men could take the stage. In the Liberties south of the river where the theatres were based, women were only good as prostitutes in one of the areaā€™s brothels. In the 1600ā€™s it was frequently young boys who played womenā€™s roles. Queen Titaniaā€™s role in a Midsummer Nightā€™s Dream was even played by a young boy in performances.

Modern drag culture has itā€™s origins in gay clubs during the 20th century at a time when being gay could result in criminal convictions or forced sterilisations and other cruel treatments. Look at Alan Turing.

Worldā€™s apart if you actually did more than a lazy wiki search - in any historical or humanities degree worth its salt, there is a reason why I havenā€™t heard of a legitimate university that would accept Wikipedia as a source.

Reactions: 17
I think the last few posts illustrate where the desire to be SEEN as inclusive, liberal and progressive outweighs the actual comprehension and consideration of the argument. Therefore defaults to knee jerk to cover up laziness in thinking and protect their ego as ā€œa good personā€.

Reactions: 20
I think the last few posts illustrate where the desire to be SEEN as inclusive, liberal and progressive outweighs the actual comprehension and consideration of the argument. Therefore defaults to knee jerk to cover up laziness in thinking and protect their ego as ā€œa good personā€.
It's always the way isn't it? There's just nothing of substance for them to say. I'd be genuinely interested in having a proper discussion about the ins and outs with a willing TRA but they won't because they can't. I saw the other day Jolyon Maugham saying something like 'gender critical women never want to debate me' well Kathleen Stock offered and he's blocked her. She would make mincemeat out of him in a debate, I have no doubt about that. I was in the middle of replying to nothernspaces' previous post about 'refusal of cervical smears will kill people' highlighting the weird jumps of logic made in that post plus the plethora of medical issues for trans people I'd outlined on the previous board. Then saw the whole 'hehe what about Twelfth Night, GOTCHA!' and just thought you know what...if this is the level we're at, I can't be arsed.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
It's always the way isn't it? There's just nothing of substance for them to say. I'd be genuinely interested in having a proper discussion about the ins and outs with a willing TRA but they won't because they can't. I saw the other day Jolyon Maugham saying something like 'gender critical women never want to debate me' well Kathleen Stock offered and he's blocked her. She would make mincemeat out of him in a debate, I have no doubt about that. I was in the middle of replying to nothernspaces' previous post about 'refusal of cervical smears will kill people' highlighting the weird jumps of logic made in that post plus the plethora of medical issues for trans people I'd outlined on the previous board. Then saw the whole 'hehe what about Twelfth Night, GOTCHA!' and just thought you know what...if this is the level we're at, I can't be arsed.
They have got their warm fuzzies from publicly DeFeNdInG pEoPlEā€™s DiFfEReNcEs of a trending MiNoRiTy GrOuP and that is what it all boils down to isnā€™t it. Gratifying their own need to be cooed over as a good person.

Reactions: 13
Yep, Virtue Signalling really boils my piss, too.

As does the term "People wth cervixes", as used by CNN a few days ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Yes I really do feel when people throw out glib statements, it's down to either all or one of the following: wanting to show "I'm so much more tolerant and a better person than you" and/ or a lack of understanding of the issue/ lack of critical thinking

Reactions: 13
I am almost 49 and I am scared to to open my mouth in case I unintentionally offend somebody.

So apparently now i have to say
  • I am a person who menstruated monthly for 35 years
  • I am now a person going through the change and its the pits of hell
  • I am a person with a cervix who birthed 3 children
If i refer to myself as woman/female i am transphobic?

I am genuinely sorry if my next statement pushes buttons but; after having periods and period pain for 35 years, being pregnant for a total of 27 months, going through labour and birth 3 times and now the fecking 'change' NO-ONE is telling me that i am not a bloody WOMAN.

Honestly the world is frigging bonkers.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
If i refer to myself as woman/female i am transphobic?
This is the thing isn't it - I see sooo often people saying 'nobody is saying you can't call yourself a woman' and it's like, well actually yes you are? You want to call us 'people with cervixes' or 'ciswomen' or, my pet hate, 'womxn.' I have no issue at all with anyone calling themselves a trans woman but they are not biological women and it's important for both groups of us that there is a clear distinction.

Reactions: 25
I guess this is what happens when someone tries to argue that a banana is a potato, and people listen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
So Lucy Jane Wood - who I think at heart is a decent woman - has launched a brand ā€œGold Dust Roadā€.

Part of Lucyā€™s ā€œthingā€ has been she is a huge HP fan. Unsurprisingly, one of her prints is Potter based, and sheā€™s donating half the profits to bleeping TRA driven Mermaids of all things. It makes me a mix of sad, angry and disappointed that sheā€™s cashing in on JKRā€™s intellectual property AND double whammy of supporting something that Jo is against.

Hereā€™s the link to the print - thoughts? As a warning, donā€™t read the comments - itā€™s basically a virtue signalling echo chamber of non trans young women.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
So Lucy Jane Wood - who I think at heart is a decent woman - has launched a brand ā€œGold Dust Roadā€.

Part of Lucyā€™s ā€œthingā€ has been she is a huge HP fan. Unsurprisingly, one of her prints is Potter based, and sheā€™s donating half the profits to bleeping TRA driven Mermaids of all things. It makes me a mix of sad, angry and disappointed that sheā€™s cashing in on JKRā€™s intellectual property AND double whammy of supporting something that Jo is against.

Hereā€™s the link to the print - thoughts? As a warning, donā€™t read the comments - itā€™s basically a virtue signalling echo chamber of non trans young women.

This is totally wrong unless she got permission from JK.
People merching off Harry Potter and criticising JK make me sickšŸ¤® if I was her I would put a stop to it but I suspect JK is probably a nicer person than me.

I've just taken a look at the website and to be quite honest it's total crap. I can't believe anyone would actually buy this rubbish. No originality and badly executed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.