J. K. Rowling #2 JK and the Chamber of Mysogyny

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
JK Rowling has brought this issue to a head and I’m really starting to see more and more people willing to stand up against the TRA bullies over the past few weeks. I can’t thank her enough.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
JK Rowling has brought this issue to a head and I’m really starting to see more and more people willing to stand up against the TRA bullies over the past few weeks. I can’t thank her enough.
Is there any place everyday women can voice their support for her sentiments without being written off as a bigot, Terf or “Karen”? I find places like Twitter and YouTube such disappointing echo chambers. Twitter especially is a cesspit. And I’m not much of a Facebook user.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
“Karen” was a word that was used for white women who accused/complained/threatened black people (usually men but it can also be a black child selling lemonade on a sidewalk) of things they perceived as wrong/threatening/scary based on their racist pre-conceived notions about black people. They were white women aware of the power dynamic between them and black people and how society would always believe a scared white woman over any black person (or poc). But now it’s been reduced to anything women say that people disagree with or doesn’t conform with the general very online consensus.

Reactions: 20
“Karen” was a word that was used for white women who accused/complained/threatened black people (usually men but it can also be a black child selling lemonade on a sidewalk) of things they perceived as wrong/threatening/scary based on their racist pre-conceived notions about black people. They were white women aware of the power dynamic between them and black people and how society would always believe a scared white woman over any black person (or poc). But now it’s been reduced to anything women say that people disagree with or doesn’t conform with the general very online consensus.
That’s interesting, I didn’t realise it had racial origins. I thought it was for wealthy middle aged women who were hot to complain and assert their dominance.

Reactions: 14
That’s interesting, I didn’t realise it had racial origins. I thought it was for wealthy middle aged women who were hot to complain and assert their dominance.
It wasn’t just wealthy women. It was about white women and their interactions with bipoc. See, white women harrassing retail workers (mostly poc, mostly immigrants) because they’re entitled and because they can. Or in the more recent case of Amy Cooper who called a cop on a black man for merely asking her to put her dog on a leash. Or Allison Ettel, who called a cop on an 8year old for selling water on a sidewalk - without a permit sure, but she was eight years old. These women are aware of and take advantage (sometimes unknowingly) of our inherently white supremacist social structure and know their voice will be heard and believed by authorities and cops over the pleas of any poc.

But since the word has gotten more mainstream, it has evolved to just be a way to shut down women who don’t silently agree with the most popular opinion. Online, it’s used almost interchangeably with “terf”.

Reactions: 9
So they have appropriated a word ( a stupid word but still) that was used to call out white privelege and turned it into a term of abuse against another group who have for centuries been the subject of oppression. Go them. So brave.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Women need J.K. Rowling's support more than ever when we have a person like Nadia Whittome - an MP, oh my God! - saying that even debating trans issues "rolling back equality" on trans rights.

I am honestly scared stiff of what these people are trying to do, and too often succeeding. Equality is not the name of the game. They want to be "more than" everyone else.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
That’s shocking. As if women’s issues haven’t been up for debate since beginning of time. How can other women be so blind to it.

Reactions: 13
That’s shocking. As if women’s issues haven’t been up for debate since beginning of time. How can other women be so blind to it.
I agree and the idea that an MP is against debate on the subject beggars belief! Do these idiots really want us to live in a regime where only one 'correct' opinion is allowed?

Reactions: 13
I agree and the idea that an MP is against debate on the subject beggars belief! Do these idiots really want us to live in a regime where only one 'correct' opinion is allowed?
It would appear so and the scariest thing is these are well educated people who should know the dangers of that.

Honestly, I feel sick.

Reactions: 10
Is there any place everyday women can voice their support for her sentiments without being written off as a bigot, Terf or “Karen”? I find places like Twitter and YouTube such disappointing echo chambers. Twitter especially is a cesspit. And I’m not much of a Facebook user.
Honestly, the feminism board on mumsnet is your best bet! Reddit used to have a gender critical subreddit and it was banned (whilst subreddits depicting rape and abuse are allowed to stay). They’re working on creating a new site though.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.