IVF / ICSI treatment

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi All,

Apologies if there has already been a thread on this, I couldn't find one!

So today we were discharged from our NHS fertility consultant as we are no eligible for NHS funding.

Bit of a back story, I was diagnosed with pretty mild PCOS. My husband did two samples which were originally deemed to be "ok." Therefore for the best part of 3 years I was told the reason we can't conceive is down to my weight - my BMI is 35ish. Fast forward to 6 months ago and a new clinic and it actually turns out my husbands analysis was VERY poor and actually it is down to him as to why we cannot conceive. He retested and it was confirmed today that we will categorically not conceive without help.

We have been advised ICSI is going to be the best course of action for us but obviously it is extremely costly. It is extremely overwhelming too! Has anyone here had ay experience of IVF. How long did the process take, do you have any advice? Is there anything you wish you knew / didn't know?

I am looking into ABC fertility as their prices are exceptionally low. Wondering whether there is a catch!!
x

Hi
We had IUI instead. They put the sperm right up into the tubes at the time of ovulation so they don’t have to swim far at all.

It worked first time and I am now 10 weeks pregnant. We had male factor fertility issues like you and thought we’d have one shot at IUI before moving onto bigger things, but it worked!

And the whole BMI thing is absolutely shite ignore it. Medical professionals are so quick to blame “weight” for things not working.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve not had to go through IVF however I had a very close friend go through it last year after 7 years of infertility. She was very lucky that it worked first time, however she had a rough time going through the IVF. Luckily it was nothing major but she had a bit of a reaction to the medications and she had to have a few weeks off work as a result and that is something she really wished she’d thought about before. She was so concerned (and rightly so) about the IVF working she overlooked a few symptoms from the drugs in the first few days as she just shrugged them off.

Hi
We had IUI instead. They put the sperm right up into the tubes at the time of ovulation so they don’t have to swim far at all.

It worked first time and I am now 10 weeks pregnant. We had male factor fertility issues like you and thought we’d have one shot at IUI before moving onto bigger things, but it worked!

And the whole BMI thing is absolutely shite ignore it. Medical professionals are so quick to blame “weight” for things not working.
See this is really interesting. I had looked at IUI but my consultant today was adamant ICSI was the way forward. But of course, most expensive. Out of interest do you mind sharing what your husbands count was? Mine is 4.5mil and normal range is 15mil?

I’ve not had to go through IVF however I had a very close friend go through it last year after 7 years of infertility. She was very lucky that it worked first time, however she had a rough time going through the IVF. Luckily it was nothing major but she had a bit of a reaction to the medications and she had to have a few weeks off work as a result and that is something she really wished she’d thought about before. She was so concerned (and rightly so) about the IVF working she overlooked a few symptoms from the drugs in the first few days as she just shrugged them off.

That sounds so tit but I’m so glad it’s worked out. I need to really research. I have been looking at so many clinics and the whole process is just so overwhelming. So much information to take in.

I’ve just done 7 rounds of clomid and now we are moving onto Ivf with icsi - I’ve had all the pre investigations and blood tests and we will be starting in January, my sister started a couple of weeks ago
There’s a ivf support group on Facebook which would be really helpful for you to join

I’ve just done 7 rounds of clomid and now we are moving onto Ivf with icsi - I’ve had all the pre investigations and blood tests and we will be starting in January, my sister started a couple of weeks ago
There’s a ivf support group on Facebook which would be really helpful for you to join
Yessss I’ve just joined!!! I think I am going to look at care fertility.

Frustratingly I was recently made redundant so the timing of when we can proceed is a tricky one. Feeling very resentful I’ve wasted so much time with the nhs being utterly useless but trying to not let that get to me too much!

I’m on my 2nd round of ivf and due for egg collection today 🙏🏻🙏🏻
I’ve got unexplained secondary infertility (we have a 7 year old together - born emergency c section and been unable to fall pregnant since)
I’ve had 2 laporoscopy & hysteroctomys (sorry about spelling, I’ve slept for about 2 minutes last night)
Done 6 months on clomid
Cycle 1 was cancelled at egg collection as I over stimulated and ended up in hospital pretty poorly for a week
So far this cycle has been easier & I’ve done it alone as my husband is abroad with work (his sample is frozen). I found the private clinics had much shorter waiting lists (literally 2 months or so and then we would be in) - this was pre Covid, they all closed in 1st lockdown however currently still allowed to treat atm.

I always queried why we couldn’t try iui first and was told my age (37) made it unlikely to work, we’ve done these treatments over a 4 year period mainly because it took me that long mentally ‘to get there’, we have money for 1 more cycle and I intend to do that within the first half of next year if needed.
My main advice would be be kind to yourself, keep talking within the relationship and always seek a second opinion if your not happy with what your being told - I knew something was wrong when our baby was 4 months old and was dismissed by nhs doctors for about 3 years, i’ll
Always regret not pushing harder and starting this all sooner.
I have accupuncture and find that really relaxes me however is quite expensive :( I’m always extremely direct with the clinic about costs etc, I find at times he thinks we have an endless pot of money to keep going so I ask for total cost, whenever something new is mentioned - how much will that be - just to try and stop it spiralling.
Sending you lots of love ❤

We did ivf with pgd.
5 years, £30,000 down, 3 nhs cycles used, 4 egg collections, 6 transfers all negative and 1 transfer with a surrogate and we got our baby.

if I was you I think I would go and see dr Ramsay in London. He is the bees knees for male infertility.
if you go private a cycle will be very quick. Why can’t you get nhs funding?
We did a private round of pgd at CRGH and from start to finish was 3 months. Good luck!
I would also join insta as an ivf account - there are thousands of us on there, it’s such a supportive community.

I’m on my 2nd round of ivf and due for egg collection today 🙏🏻🙏🏻
I’ve got unexplained secondary infertility (we have a 7 year old together - born emergency c section and been unable to fall pregnant since)
I’ve had 2 laporoscopy & hysteroctomys (sorry about spelling, I’ve slept for about 2 minutes last night)
Done 6 months on clomid
Cycle 1 was cancelled at egg collection as I over stimulated and ended up in hospital pretty poorly for a week
So far this cycle has been easier & I’ve done it alone as my husband is abroad with work (his sample is frozen). I found the private clinics had much shorter waiting lists (literally 2 months or so and then we would be in) - this was pre Covid, they all closed in 1st lockdown however currently still allowed to treat atm.

I always queried why we couldn’t try iui first and was told my age (37) made it unlikely to work, we’ve done these treatments over a 4 year period mainly because it took me that long mentally ‘to get there’, we have money for 1 more cycle and I intend to do that within the first half of next year if needed.
My main advice would be be kind to yourself, keep talking within the relationship and always seek a second opinion if your not happy with what your being told - I knew something was wrong when our baby was 4 months old and was dismissed by nhs doctors for about 3 years, i’ll
Always regret not pushing harder and starting this all sooner.
I have accupuncture and find that really relaxes me however is quite expensive :( I’m always extremely direct with the clinic about costs etc, I find at times he thinks we have an endless pot of money to keep going so I ask for total cost, whenever something new is mentioned - how much will that be - just to try and stop it spiralling.
Sending you lots of love ❤

I honestly am sending such positive wishes your way. I hope you get there in the end. I feel the same as you - I really do wish I had pushed harder and I really feel frustrated we weren’t given a prognosis sooner. I think we are going to aim for next spring, around March time to get the ball rolling. I was actually quite shocked at how quickly the turn around time was on these things!! I am also going to be clear from the beginning about costs, it really seems like some of the things they want you to have done are so costly. The hiv / hep bloods and follicle scan I could easily have done for free on the nhs. Luckily they are allowing us to transfer over his semen analysis results xx

We did ivf with pgd.
5 years, £30,000 down, 3 nhs cycles used, 4 egg collections, 6 transfers all negative and 1 transfer with a surrogate and we got our baby.

if I was you I think I would go and see dr Ramsay in London. He is the bees knees for male infertility.
if you go private a cycle will be very quick. Why can’t you get nhs funding?
We did a private round of pgd at CRGH and from start to finish was 3 months. Good luck!
I would also join insta as an ivf account - there are thousands of us on there, it’s such a supportive community.
We aren’t eligible because my partner has two children from a previous marriage. He had them at 17 / 20 so very young. I think that’s why we never expected it to be him and we always just accepted the fact it was us!! I have set up a fitness / infertility Instagram account to document everything. It’s very helpful!!
I am so sorry to hear it was such a stressful journey for you. It sounds like you have really been through it. I am soooooooo happy you got there in the end though x

Hi
I have a 13 week old as a result of IVF with ICSI. Just wanted to wish you lots of luck xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Yessss I’ve just joined!!! I think I am going to look at care fertility.

Frustratingly I was recently made redundant so the timing of when we can proceed is a tricky one. Feeling very resentful I’ve wasted so much time with the nhs being utterly useless but trying to not let that get to me too much!
Care Fertility are brilliant. They really look after you.

I honestly am sending such positive wishes your way. I hope you get there in the end. I feel the same as you - I really do wish I had pushed harder and I really feel frustrated we weren’t given a prognosis sooner. I think we are going to aim for next spring, around March time to get the ball rolling. I was actually quite shocked at how quickly the turn around time was on these things!! I am also going to be clear from the beginning about costs, it really seems like some of the things they want you to have done are so costly. The hiv / hep bloods and follicle scan I could easily have done for free on the nhs. Luckily they are allowing us to transfer over his semen analysis results xx

We aren’t eligible because my partner has two children from a previous marriage. He had them at 17 / 20 so very young. I think that’s why we never expected it to be him and we always just accepted the fact it was us!! I have set up a fitness / infertility Instagram account to document everything. It’s very helpful!!
I am so sorry to hear it was such a stressful journey for you. It sounds like you have really been through it. I am soooooooo happy you got there in the end though x
Thankyou ❤my egg retrieval went well and recovery has been great, we managed to get 4 eggs from 5 follicles, all 4 fertilised on day 1 (had to use unplanned ICSI as husbands morphology was below threshold - I will question this more tomorrow at the clinic as I was 🤯 from sedation on the day).
we are desperately hoping our embryos make it to day 5 and I’m booked in for a fresh transfer tomorrow morning
I must say this cycle has been far easier than my first mentally -I don’t know if I have just shifted my thinking a little - lowered my expectations - I haven’t counted forward 9 months etc like I did the first time, I really am taking it a step at a time & being kinder to myself, (the unexpected ICSI has cost us an extra £1200) so actual current spend to date this cycle is £6985, thinking of anyone ttc at the minute, I’ve found the lockdown.1 pregnancy announcements pretty tough at times xxxx

I have two children as a result of 4 ivf cycles. I did fall pregnant each time but sadly lost twins (9weeks and 21 weeks) and a single pregnancy at 9 weeks. I have PCOS but my only symptom of it is not ovulating and crazy hormones. Find a clinic you trust and go with their recommendation. My ivf was at the Lister in London, they were absolutely fabulous, I feel forever indebted to them. Wishing you so much luck x