It's A Sin - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve recorded it to watch over the weekend! I have a question though, I wasn’t born then but I’m just wondering...the fear around AIDS, was it something that everyone was scared of in the beginning? Like I know there was mass panic to begin with, was the fear felt by people comparable to the fear felt in this pandemic or not? Hopefully this doesn’t come across as ignorant, I’m genuinely curious
Yes, totally yes, it was very much the same as the start of this epidemic when we knew very little. But whilst this pandemic is kind of the luck of the draw, no real stigma attached if you catch it, AIDS was just the perfect storm for stigma. I was in year nine and still remember watching 60 minutes (Australia) doing a show on it, and the next day it was all anyone could talk about, and for YEARS after we were all very scared of catching it. I was just becoming sexually active and it was terrifying, especially in the early days when we didn’t really understand it. I remember when Princess Di held the hand of an AIDS patient and how massive a deal it was.

I also remember the horrible, horrible way many people were to the gay community, it must have been the worst thing ever to live with (the stigma as well as the disease).

Interestingly though, it was AIDS that made us all start wearing gloves for medical processes, dentist etc. Before that we really didn’t bother with all that. I wonder how much worse this pandemic would be if we weren’t doing the basic hygiene that AIDS forced us into.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
There are so mañy TV dramas on nowadays that I can't be bothered to watch beyond the first episode as they don't grip but this is different I will watch all of it. The little Welsh guy is so sweet in his suit and I really liked Mr Coltrane a kind and very funny man.

Reactions: 24
Binge watched it last night and last episode this morning. So hard hitting, had me in tears. I love that there’s not really been anything like it before!

Reactions: 8
Not ready to watch this yet, from what others have said on this thread I'm in for a treat, it's on the backburner for now.

Reactions: 1
Watched the whole series yesterday 😰 it was equally amazing and heartbreaking. I was 18 when that advertisement was shown and even as a heterosexual it was a scary time. My now adult son is gay and I’m so happy attitudes have changed and he can be who he wants to be without fear of retribution. Russell T Davis is a master and Keeley Hawkes in those final scenes! 🏆

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I’m binge-watching it now. Oh poor Colin, the Welsh guy. He is such a sweetheart.

I can remember when AIDS first came onto the new. It was round about 1986/87. The media went to town with it, calling it the Gay Plague. I can also remember how straight people reacted towards anyone who was gay. Awful.

But, when Princess Diana held the hands of patients with AIDS, people’s attitudes changed. She really made a difference to how AIDS was perceived.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

I love that they are such a close-knit group of friends, all looking out for one another. That set up is something to cherish. 💜

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
There are so mañy TV dramas on nowadays that I can't be bothered to watch beyond the first episode as they don't grip but this is different I will watch all of it. The little Welsh guy is so sweet in his suit and I really liked Mr Coltrane a kind and very funny man.
Collin is so sweet, just gets on with everything, his like a little fish in the big sea. Wales to London is a big change

Reactions: 13
I absolutely loved it. Said I wouldn't binge. I binged. My husband and I were hooked. It's funny, heartwarming and moving. I was born in 1991 but love everything 80s. Obviously there's a bigger story in this that pulls at the heart strings and I was sobbing.

You could tell it was coming because of what the show is about but it still broke me and even my husband got a little tearry eyed and he never does over TV shows and films! I haven't stopped thinking about it since we finished it. There's so much I want to say but I'll wait until its fully aired on C4 as don't want to spoil it for anyone!

La!

We have now adopted the La.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Binged it all and loved it. The guy who played Colin is excellent (and a bit of a looker when he’s not in a beige suit!) and has hardly been in anything! Think we’ll see a lot of him. Olly Alexander is great, loved to hear him singing too in those brief scenes

Reactions: 16
I’ve just finished watchin and wow !
I was born in 83 and love anything 80s. Found it educational, as was to young to understand and to see it unfold. But watchin that really bought it to life.

How we all reacted to covid at the start was very alike...the unknown.
Collin was my fave and was shocked

Reactions: 6
I binged it all I don’t know whether that was a wise move or not. I was born in the 90’s so whilst I knew of the epidemic I wasn’t very clued up and wow it gave me an education. It’s definitely going to be one of those shows that stays with you I think.
I can’t decide who my favourite was Jill, Colin or Colin’s mum.
I definitely wanted to push Richie’s mum off that pier at the end of episode 5.

Reactions: 15
I finished it this morning. Best thing I have watched in a long time. It was sad and made me tear up a few times, but it wasn't as bleak or as graphic (with the death scenes) as it might have been. I'm kind of glad of that, to be honest, and for lighter moments throughout the show.

I follow The Aids Memorial on Instagram and what those men went through (and how they were treated by society) just breaks my heart over and over again.

Reactions: 10