Items that would help a mum and baby ICU

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi
Someone very close to me is having a really really tough time. Her baby is in ICU and they have both been in for a while. I feel so helpless. I would love to put together a wee basket of essentials for hospital, positive things to keep to clear her mind and help her through.

What kind of things would be good and helpful to include? If you have any ideas please fire them my way.

It’s really appreciated 💕

Reactions: 1
Travel mug and decent tea bags/coffee! Biscuits, cereal bars as hospital food is pants and expensive!

What a lovely idea and a brilliant friend you are!
I agree with snacks etc, also maybe a mini travel bag with toothpaste/ brush, nice body spray etc. They may have it all covered in that respect, but mini ones in a bag can be moved about a bit easier. Lip balm and hand cream. Colouring books and pens/ pencils. And maybe a nice journal/ notebook so thoughts and feelings can be written down. From experience, Looking back at the really dark days helps you realise just how far little warrior babies have come. ❤

Reactions: 3
What a lovely idea and a brilliant friend you are!
I agree with snacks etc, also maybe a mini travel bag with toothpaste/ brush, nice body spray etc. They may have it all covered in that respect, but mini ones in a bag can be moved about a bit easier. Lip balm and hand cream. Colouring books and pens/ pencils. And maybe a nice journal/ notebook so thoughts and feelings can be written down. From experience, Looking back at the really dark days helps you realise just how far little warrior babies have come. ❤
Love this thank you!!

A nice flask/drink bottle as it's so hot on NICU sometimes.
Perhaps some of the Robinson's squash shots.
Snacks- cereal bars/biscuits etc
Face/Body wipes
Mini travel sets of deodrant/hand cream etc
Muslin squares they can tuck into their clothes and then put inside incubator for baby.
Loose change!
Neck pillow?

Reactions: 2
A nice flask/drink bottle as it's so hot on NICU sometimes.
Perhaps some of the Robinson's squash shots.
Snacks- cereal bars/biscuits etc
Face/Body wipes
Mini travel sets of deodrant/hand cream etc
Muslin squares they can tuck into their clothes and then put inside incubator for baby.
Loose change!
Neck pillow?
This is fantastic! Thank you so much 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Some vitamins for new mother.
You can buy baby prem cards to mark key milestones to take pics of baby with. Or baby book.
New mother sanitary items (post baby pads)
Squares for mother and baby ~ bonding squares for baby to get used to mothers scent.
Hand written letter from yourself to a new mother to keep.
Small hats and prem baby clothing.
Healthy snacks and some cereal bars on small box cereal/porridge add water pots.
A small treat for the new mother - in expensive jewellery, Slippers, nice hair brush or make up bag
Reusable water bottle.
Lip cream. Always have dry lips in hospital as it’s so warm!

Last edited:
This is so sweet. As a HC worker the one thing I can't live without is my fan whenever I get a chance to sit down lol. You can get little usb ones in tiger we all have them !

Hope the baby and mum are doing ok ♥♥♥

Sorry I'm on a lunch break at 4 am !!
I meant a fan because hospitals are so feicin warm 24/7.

I was a NICU mum.. snacks, drinks are great, face wipes, sanitiser, deodorant as NICU is usually SO hot. Books, magazines, crossword puzzles - it gets lonely when you're there all day so I enjoyed having things to keep me occupied. And mostly? Company. IF you have a spare few hours, I am sure she'd love to have some company.