Universal Credit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes but he says he just collects universal credit between those jobs instead of doing a less fun job :) and film work/writing scripts is a dream job, it takes too long to come to fruition to not have another job instead of collecting UC

Yes but he says he just collects universal credit between those jobs instead of doing a less fun job :) and film work/writing scripts is a dream job, it takes too long to come to fruition to not have another job instead of collecting UC
I understand and to some extent can sympathise with your point. I'd be interested in the mechanics of how this works. Presumably writing scripts doesn't generate a regular income so he can say he's not working while doing it and then just have one period when he gets an income. I guess the film work and lecturing must be fairly intermittent too. In February this year the rules changed so that claimants only have 4 weeks to find a job in their chosen field before they have to start applying for any job that they are capable of doing. Perhaps he hasn't been caught by that yet or he has a particularly lenient work coach.

Reactions: 1
I understand and to some extent can sympathise with your point. I'd be interested in the mechanics of how this works. Presumably writing scripts doesn't generate a regular income so he can say he's not working while doing it and then just have one period when he gets an income. I guess the film work and lecturing must be fairly intermittent too. In February this year the rules changed so that claimants only have 4 weeks to find a job in their chosen field before they have to start applying for any job that they are capable of doing. Perhaps he hasn't been caught by that yet or he has a particularly lenient work coach.
This of course is the problem with society- how can he get another job when these ad hoc ones come up? Is he meant to say no when he gets an email asking if he can come in and do lecturing because he has some retail job? Workers need structure and proper contracts

I wish they would tell you whether or not you are entitled to the cost of living payment. It just says "you may be entitled..".

Reactions: 2
Has anyone else still not received the cost of living payment when they are 100% eligible. I work and get uc, a friend who is in the same position and works same hours received hers a week ago. I read 99% of payments were made by 20th July. There's only 4 working days left for them to pay so losing hope with it

Has anyone else still not received the cost of living payment when they are 100% eligible. I work and get uc, a friend who is in the same position and works same hours received hers a week ago. I read 99% of payments were made by 20th July. There's only 4 working days left for them to pay so losing hope with it
It's not based on how many hours worked, it's purely based on whether you received a payment of UC over £0.01 in your UC statement between 26th April and 25th May. What does your statement say for that period?

It's not based on how many hours worked, it's purely based on whether you received a payment of UC over £0.01 in your UC statement between 26th April and 25th May. What does your statement say for that period?
Yes I received £400 in that period

If you’re on Working Tax Credits, they’ve now said the first payment won’t be made until the autumn.
Scroll down on this page for the payment dates.

Uc have made a huge error with my cost of living payment. I posted that I was still waiting to get it and never did receive it. When they opened up the missing col form I filled it out expecting them to say oh our computer made an error we will make your payment. No they swear they made the payment on 20th July. They definitely did not I said let me upload my bank statement and you will see that's not the case. They kept refusing saying our system said you've been paid and that's that. I received my normal uc after that col payment was due so I have no idea what's going on. They won't tell me what account details they paid it to and are saying there's basically nothing they can do and that I should just contact citizens advice 🤣 has anyone ever known anything like this even with normal uc payments?

• Heart
I know someone who completely blagged the mental health assessment and got further diagnosis on adhd etc. he told us flat out that he would never work again as why would he be arsed? He receive over £1000 in UC and has never worked more than a day and as he said never will! Then my house are struggling to pay bills etc with both of us working full time 😶

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I know someone who completely blagged the mental health assessment and got further diagnosis on adhd etc. he told us flat out that he would never work again as why would he be arsed? He receive over £1000 in UC and has never worked more than a day and as he said never will! Then my house are struggling to pay bills etc with both of us working full time 😶
I can understand that this may seem a lot for someone not in employment. But if this is a single person their standard allowance for a month is £334. If they’ve been found not fit for work related activity they will receive a futher £354 on top of this. That comes to £688. If they’re receiving £1000 that means they’re also getting money towards the cost of rent. Therefore they have £1000 in total to pay all bills including housing costs, these days that doesn’t go far.
I appreciate this may be frustrating if you’re struggling to pay your bills while in work, or even more so if they really have ‘blagged’ their medical assessment, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be living a comfortable life on this especially with the current cost of living crisis and future increases to energy bills.

Reactions: 7
I can understand that this may seem a lot for someone not in employment. But if this is a single person their standard allowance for a month is £334. If they’ve been found not fit for work related activity they will receive a futher £354 on top of this. That comes to £688. If they’re receiving £1000 that means they’re also getting money towards the cost of rent. Therefore they have £1000 in total to pay all bills including housing costs, these days that doesn’t go far.
I appreciate this may be frustrating if you’re struggling to pay your bills while in work, or even more so if they really have ‘blagged’ their medical assessment, but it’s highly unlikely that they’ll be living a comfortable life on this especially with the current cost of living crisis and future increases to energy bills.
I’m with the person who you quoted as my brother in law claims mental health is single has no place though as he is deemed not a priority even know he claims for mental health …. Go figure..
He is as lazy as they come, all he wants to do is drugs , steal ..literally and lounge around all day!!!
And he gets over £1000 a month yet pleads poverty 😂😂😂
System is a joke!!!!

I’m with the person who you quoted as my brother in law claims mental health is single has no place though as he is deemed not a priority even know he claims for mental health …. Go figure..
He is as lazy as they come, all he wants to do is drugs , steal ..literally and lounge around all day!!!
And he gets over £1000 a month yet pleads poverty 😂😂😂
System is a joke!!!!
What would you do to change 'the system'? In my experience being awarded 'Limited Capability for Work' under UC is not simply a case of 'claiming mental health'.

The odd person getting £1000 a month is literally nothing compared with how politicians and the 1% bleed the economy dry. Completely wrong place for the focus to be. Anyone that thinks a grand a month is going to provide a lavish lifestyle needs their head checked.

It baffles me that UC is used to top up low wages. Companies pay out billions to shareholders but can't pay a living wage. It's a farce.

Meanwhile statutory maternity pay is £150 a week despite being a benefit only applicable to those paying into the system. It's all topsy-turvy.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Just to emphasise what you said. The basic UC award for a single person over 25 is £334.91 per month.

Claimants that say that they are not able to work because of a medical condition must first supply medical certificates to confirm this and complete a UC50 form which explains what are their conditions, what medications they take, who are their health professionals and how their condition affects their ability to perform work related tasks. They are invited to provide additional medical evidence to support this. They are then interviewed by DWP appointed health assessors and their doctor / consultant might be contacted DWP for supporting evidence.

If their claim is accepted they may then be placed in the 'Limited Capability for Work' (LCW) group. People in this group are not expected to look for a job but are required to participate in "work related activity" that prepares them for work in the future. This might be work focused interviews, skills training courses, CV writing etc. People in this group get no extra UC money.

Claimants whose health conditions are such that they are not able to work or participate in work related activity (equivalent to Support Group in ESA) receive an additional £354.28 per month.

I would never suggest that there're not people who have managed to 'blag' the system to get benefits but in my experience as a Citizens Advice advisor I often wonder how they do it because I deal with a lot of claimants who have enormous difficulty getting what they are clearly entitled to. DWP culture seems to be that every claimant is on the fiddle and their job is to deny any claim if at all possible.

Reactions: 7
The odd person getting £1000 a month is literally nothing compared with how politicians and the 1% bleed the economy dry. Completely wrong place for the focus to be. Anyone that thinks a grand a month is going to provide a lavish lifestyle needs their head checked.

It baffles me that UC is used to top up low wages. Companies pay out billions to shareholders but can't pay a living wage. It's a farce.

Meanwhile statutory maternity pay is £150 a week despite being a benefit only applicable to those paying into the system. It's all topsy-turvy.
My basic take home pay is £1,450. I work 34 hours a week. I've been there 6 years and became a single parent before my daughter was born. I get around £850 UC per month, which in reality looks like I get this huge award and must live a cushty life... what people don't realise is that most of my award goes towards my daughters nursery bill which is over £800 per month. I am still left with next to nothing after all my bills are paid. I honestly have no idea how people are expected to live in this country anymore. I physically cannot work a full 40 hour week as I can't afford another days childcare, and if I work less I can't afford to live. My daughter is 3 next month and I went back to work just after she turned 8 months as stat mat pay didn't even touch the sides. It's so hard.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Universal credit has a higher allowance than housing benefit did. = better
UC is monthly payments and assessment periods which reflects peoples wages so it’s easier than the four weeks stuff for tradition benefits.

I think UC is better for the government and employed people as government get notified of each monthly wage package so no overpayments. (Know people who sent in 3 payslips at lowest wage each year then earnt way more the rest of year, made me so angry until they got caught by the government)
think it’s hard for self employed as wage fluctuates and you have to justify that.
but overall it’s better and is helping wean people off benefits

• Wow
UC is monthly payments and assessment periods which reflects peoples wages so it’s easier than the four weeks stuff for tradition benefits.

I think UC is better for the government and employed people as government get notified of each monthly wage package so no overpayments. (Know people who sent in 3 payslips at lowest wage each year then earnt way more the rest of year, made me so angry until they got caught by the government)
think it’s hard for self employed as wage fluctuates and you have to justify that.
You can't wean people off benefits unless the minimum wage is enough to survive off. The majority of people getting UC are in work.

It's so awful, it's absolutely impossible for women. No wonder population growth is slowing down. This will have huge implications for the future and no one gives a tit.

I agree that as a system UC is overall better than the separate legacy benefits (tax credits, housing benefit etc) but inevitably the government couldn't resist building in a 'claw back' in it's implementation so quite a lot of people are worse off if they move to UC from legacy benefits.

There's no difference in the amount of housing costs available through HB or UC as they are both limited by the same Local Housing Allowance.

The annual assessment for tax credits did lead to a lot of overpayments. The 4 weekly assessment for UC reduces that possibility but has it's downsides; first the 5 week wait for the first payment and also the anomaly for people that are paid every 4 weeks (13 times a year) rather than monthly. This sometimes means that they have two pay packets in one 4 weekly assessment period which results in their UC payment being zero. This was a particular problem for people that had this happen in the assessment period for the Cost of Living Payment because a zero UC payment meant that they weren't eligible for the COL payment either.

• Wow
Reactions: 3