Is it just me that HATES Primark???

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to like it and over the past few years I’ve lost quite a bit of weight so brought a few dresses but they shrink! A cotton checked shirt dress that was lovely and loose. Washed and line dried and put it on two days later misshapen and much smaller. That cost £15 as well. So not mega cheap.

It’s handy for dd and her Harry Potter obsession but even she has stopped wanting to go in there as as others have said the material is usually weird. T shirts in a funny polyester almost shiny material or cotton that shrinks.

Reactions: 3
I go in once in a while to buy vest tops and socks because I don't want to spend lots of money on those. I rarely buy anything else now, i LOVED it when I was 16 as if meant I could afford clothes and get an outfit for 15 quid. Now I'm 29 I was getting fed up of the bad quality and so I go to HandM, or online.

Reactions: 2
I’m on your side lol. The only things I’ll buy from primark are socks or underwear but nearly everything else I have from there was bought for me as a gift or a case of my mum going “that’s nice”.

I was in voluntarily in June to pick up a Lady Gaga, Cher and Pride shirt but that’s all I’ve really ‘wanted’.

In saying that my outfit today is trousers bought last summer during the heatwave and a jumper I was gifted at some point.

H&M sizing is tiny so I rarely shop in there.

Primark does what it says on the tin. It’s cheap, mass manufactured tat that is designed to only last a few wears. It’s not meant to last long, that’s the whole point. They want you to keeP going back and buying stuff on a regular basis.

I go in and get a few bits every now and again - usually a few bits of work wear or a few things for a holiday. I don’t expect any of it to last very long and therefore it doesn’t bother me when inevitably items get thrown away after a few wears or washes.

If I want good quality, value for money clothing that lasts for ages I wouldn’t be going to Primark for it!!!

Reactions: 6
I used to like it and over the past few years I’ve lost quite a bit of weight so brought a few dresses but they shrink! A cotton checked shirt dress that was lovely and loose. Washed and line dried and put it on two days later misshapen and much smaller. That cost £15 as well. So not mega cheap.

It’s handy for dd and her Harry Potter obsession but even she has stopped wanting to go in there as as others have said the material is usually weird. T shirts in a funny polyester almost shiny material or cotton that shrinks.
H&M sizing is tiny so I rarely shop in there.

Primark does what it says on the tin. It’s cheap, mass manufactured tat that is designed to only last a few wears. It’s not meant to last long, that’s the whole point. They want you to keeP going back and buying stuff on a regular basis.

I go in and get a few bits every now and again - usually a few bits of work wear or a few things for a holiday. I don’t expect any of it to last very long and therefore it doesn’t bother me when inevitably items get thrown away after a few wears or washes.

If I want good quality, value for money clothing that lasts for ages I wouldn’t be going to Primark for it!!!
Yes, you’re quite right! It’s definitely not built to last and I guess one should only go there with that expectation. I just feel the price has crept up to almost match other high street. I have found the kids clothes are roughly the same price as Next (but Next are much better quality.)

Yes, you’re quite right! It’s definitely not built to last and I guess one should only go there with that expectation. I just feel the price has crept up to almost match other high street. I have found the kids clothes are roughly the same price as Next (but Next are much better quality.)
Kids clothes in Primark are usually only a few pounds per item?! I’ve never seen
Anything in there that’s as much as Next stuff 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 8
I find their jeans fine but the sizing is off. Won’t buy socks there again because I bought a pair in there once and the plastic strip that holds the tag in place didn’t come off when I took the two itself off... didn’t notice until I had bad foot pain took my shoe off to see shards of plastic embedded in my foot! 😩

Reactions: 1
I use to love it there a few years back, however now I can relate to all the reasons stated above.

Too busy, not THAT cheap, awful quality.

I will only buy things like tights/ sunglasses/ headbands etc there now

Except for socks I am not a fan.

You get what you pay for with Primark but I dont think they are any cheaper than say ASDA ect, but the quality is awful. Tops always end up out of shape.
My local store always puts me off because it looks like a jumble sale.

Reactions: 4
Kids clothes in Primark are usually only a few pounds per item?! I’ve never seen
Anything in there that’s as much as Next stuff 🤷🏼‍♀️
Most of the kids dresses in Primark were about £8. Next do loads in their multibuy range that are £6 or 3 for £15 likewise if you put them in ascending price order there are many dresses under £10 😃

Except for socks I am not a fan.

You get what you pay for with Primark but I dont think they are any cheaper than say ASDA ect, but the quality is awful. Tops always end up out of shape.
My local store always puts me off because it looks like a jumble sale.
Yes there are so many things in my local Asda now that are cheaper than Primark.

I buy the odd bits for my daugther from thier but find pep and co cheaper. HnM is my fave for kids stuff though, its one of the only shops that i feel has her size right, shes 5 but most places she wears 6 to 7 🙈

I like their Jo Malone dupe perfumes - £3 for the small size. Not sure if they do them any more though as I haven't been in one for ages. Like others have said I prefer Asda for essentials and where I now live there is an amazing charity shop - I got a lovely fitted Warehouse jacket and slouchy black sweatshirt for 49p each!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Don’t buy much for myself outside of tank tops and the odd top here and there but do love it for my kids. The clothes don’t last long but no clothes do on my kids. So I like that they’re cheap but not ugly.

I buy the odd bits for my daugther from thier but find pep and co cheaper. HnM is my fave for kids stuff though, its one of the only shops that i feel has her size right, shes 5 but most places she wears 6 to 7 🙈
Bought a top for my three year old in primark and had to get her a size 6-7!! She’s quite tall though for her age and looks about 5 but I was shocked 😂

I've bought my grandkids lots of clothes from Primark and for the same price bought ONE item in Next .. Next definitely is not cheap unless maybe in the sales ..

Reactions: 1
If you out cost per wear it's actually quite expensive. The quality is just rubbish even simple items like vests shrink or lose shape after a couple of washes. I've found although more expensive next, new look etc are more cost effective in the long run.
The next sale is fab for kids clothes and prob the same price as primark, tops for £3,jeans about £5/7. Well worth buying it a season in advance imo

Reactions: 4
I've bought my grandkids lots of clothes from Primark and for the same price bought ONE item in Next .. Next definitely is not cheap unless maybe in the sales ..
Next is lovely but I can’t afford it! Saw a lovely dress that I knew my daughter would love and it was about £45 if I remember correctly. Can’t afford that 😭 got one similar from TK Maxx for more than half the price.

I always look in the next sales but find that they never have the sizes I need left 😭

I hate it too.
It’s good for socks, mainly and I don’t mind the nail varnish but the clothes are tat. I hate the kids clothes, they have stupid slogans on or just look tacky and are ready to fall apart. My daughters dad (we’re separated) buys her clothes from their which I detest.

The thing that bugs me mostly is throwaway culture. My daughter is 10 and she is also being conscious of the environment, she loves nothing more than charity shopping and picking outfits out for a couple of quid, inc an accessory lol. She always manages to find good stuff too, definitely has the knack for it.

Reactions: 5
The only things I buy from Primark these days are shapewear tights and underwear for my boys (if I can find the sizes).
The shops are too vast but always crowded and cant find anything. Sizing is all over the place and with two kids in hand I dont have time to hang around the changing rooms.
Shoes, underwear, t shirts are awful quality. They bobble or shrink.
Jeggins / "denim" trousers stained my skin for months no matter how many times I washed them. I looked like a freak with denim stained legs whenever I took them off.
Primark is not cheap these days - I think they started off as a cheap shop with decent stuff but I really struggle with paying £15-£18 for a jumper at primark if i can get better quality for less elsewhere.