Ireland - any stories from growing up?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There are plenty! We'd go up on Dec 8th :)

I live abroad now and and see people taking down decorations on Dec 28, Jan 12, whenever they fancy while I'm having conniptions.
When is little women’s Christmas? I am US born but great-grandmother was a Brogan & also Dunlaps and a few others in the tree. I hope to visit Ireland next trip - have been to Sctland & England. Funny, my mom makes fabulous potato cakes (potatoes all sorts of ways), cabbage is a love, butter sandwiches and eating raw potatoes were a snack, and the women of the house wore house coats and house dresses called dusters! Loving reading your posts!

Reactions: 2
When is little women’s Christmas? I am US born but great-grandmother was a Brogan & also Dunlaps and a few others in the tree. I hope to visit Ireland next trip - have been to Sctland & England. Funny, my mom makes fabulous potato cakes (potatoes all sorts of ways), cabbage is a love, butter sandwiches and eating raw potatoes were a snack, and the women of the house wore house coats and house dresses called dusters! Loving reading your posts!
For the Irish it's January 6! Glad you liked this thread, it makes me feel very nostalgic whenever I come across it again :)

Reactions: 4
One thing for sure is the Irish women in past generations were extremely classy, ladylike, hardworking, dignified and respectable. Their was a very elegant strength to them. Obviously the Irish women of today are amazing & great but more modernised now. There was just something special and admirable about the older generation of Irish women.

Same goes for the older generations of Irish men. Strong, providers, unbelievable sense of humour. Take no crap from anyone. True manly men. The hardest working race of people. They literally left home young to escape the torture, starvation & murder Britain was inflicting on them. Many never returned to Ireland or heard from their families again. (No phones or technology in those days) but they went all over the world and built it. As they say, Irish hands built New York, London etc

Every other country has great respect for Ireland. The Irish peole are some of the most liked and respected around the world. Definitely a unique place. It's full of history and stories. A culture and traditions like no other. The whole world loves Irish music & dance. For a tiny country it has made such an impact on the rest of the world.

Honestly to those who have left Ireland, or are descendents of Ireland. Start visiting, start ensuring your kids are raised with & know the culture, traditions, foods, history. Buy irish products, celebrate Irish holidays. Put up an Irish flag on your house. And be very proud. Because being Irish is something to so proud of.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
One thing for sure is the Irish women in past generations were extremely classy, ladylike, hardworking, dignified and respectable. Their was a very elegant strength to them. Obviously the Irish women of today are amazing & great but more modernised now. There was just something special and admirable about the older generation of Irish women.

Same goes for the older generations of Irish men. Strong, providers, unbelievable sense of humour. Take no crap from anyone. True manly men. The hardest working race of people. They literally left home young to escape the torture, starvation & murder Britain was inflicting on them. Many never returned to Ireland or heard from their families again. (No phones or technology in those days) but they went all over the world and built it. As they say, Irish hands built New York, London etc

Every other country has great respect for Ireland. The Irish peole are some of the most liked and respected around the world. Definitely a unique place. It's full of history and stories. A culture and traditions like no other. The whole world loves Irish music & dance. For a tiny country it has made such an impact on the rest of the world.

Honestly to those who have left Ireland, or are descendents of Ireland. Start visiting, start ensuring your kids are raised with & know the culture, traditions, foods, history. Buy irish products, celebrate Irish holidays. Put up an Irish flag on your house. And be very proud. Because being Irish is something to so proud of.

I don’t think we are that special to be honest. There’s nothing particularly unique about us. We aren’t all the different to anyone else.

You couldn't have put a better descriptive of how they were very humble people. My granny used to say you'll never go hungry if you have a bag of spuds and some bread and butter in the house .I loved listening to the stories my granny and her sisters used to tell about when they were growing up. I'm from the north and there was a yankee base set up here during the war, the stories they told about going to the dances and how they curled their hair with brown paper/pipe cleaners and drew a line down the back of their legs to make it look like they could afford a pair of stockings so they could get out on a Saturday night in the hope of meeting a yank and a lot of them did . I've got a brass horseshoe here that was given to my Great-granny for her hospitality when her daughters brought the yanks back for a cup of tae and scone bread it's been polished to death over the years you can barely make out the hands across the sea , my Great-granda would've been in bed mind he wouldn't have agreed to his daughters going to dances let alone meeting those foreigners, he was docker they were hard working men and worked right up till their 80/90s in some cases lugging bags of coal and grains off the boats for the mills to turn into flour . I'd have loved to have lived during the war it sounded like a great era ...Very unique humble people that showed us the true meaning of life .

Last edited:
  • Heart
I don’t think we are that special to be honest. There’s nothing particularly unique about us. We aren’t all the different to anyone else.
There is plenty unique about the Irish and plenty to be proud of. Not a great attitude or sense of pride in your heritage to be honest. I'm not saying the Irish are better than anybody else. I'm saying there is a hell of a lot to be very proud of. ... well actually yeah I am saying the Irish are the best 🤣🤣🤣

• Heart
There is plenty unique about the Irish and plenty to be proud of. Not a great attitude or sense of pride in your heritage to be honest. I'm not saying the Irish are better than anybody else. I'm saying there is a hell of a lot to be very proud of. ... well actually yeah I am saying the Irish are the best 🤣🤣🤣
I love my country. The people are mostly great but so are people everywhere. A lot of the tropes about Irish people are just that. Very over the top and mostly derived from people who visit as tourists who tend to see only a snapshot of life here. There are good and bad everywhere. There are things about this country that are embarrassing and shameful and just plain wrong. There are people you meet who are rude and cruel and nasty. Same as everywhere else. I often wonder how many people posting this stuff actually are Irish or even live here.

• Angry
Can only speak for myself and my own town but I can safely say the people in this town are second to none, we do have bad eggs like everywhere but there's not many places will furnish your home of feed your family for nothing, we group together to support those less fortunate and that's what a lot of other places are missing just pure and simple community spirit...I couldn't be prouder .

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Can only speak for myself and my own town but I can safely say the people in this town are second to none, we do have bad eggs like everywhere but there's not many places will furnish your home of feed your family for nothing, we group together to support those less fortunate and that's what a lot of other places are missing just pure and simple community spirit...I couldn't be prouder .
I live in Dublin. That’s probably the difference 😂 I don’t even know who most of my neighbours are.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I live in Dublin. That’s probably the difference 😂 I don’t even know who most of my neighbours are.
Neither do I especially the newbies but it wouldn’t stop us from helping them out if needed. I think Dublin is very diverse though and certain communities keep to themselves we don’t have that here ,you’re right in that it makes all the difference we’re still a very open society.

I love my country. The people are mostly great but so are people everywhere. A lot of the tropes about Irish people are just that. Very over the top and mostly derived from people who visit as tourists who tend to see only a snapshot of life here. There are good and bad everywhere. There are things about this country that are embarrassing and shameful and just plain wrong. There are people you meet who are rude and cruel and nasty. Same as everywhere else. I often wonder how many people posting this stuff actually are Irish or even live here.
I'm sure many are Irish are on here. And as a person who has travelled well, I can assure from my experience and many other, nothing beats Irish hospitality and culture. Your entitled yo your opinion and possibly don't have a huge sense of tradition or community but please don't be insulting of the Irish or our pride

• Heart
I'm sure many are Irish are on here. And as a person who has travelled well, I can assure from my experience and many other, nothing beats Irish hospitality and culture. Your entitled yo your opinion and possibly don't have a huge sense of tradition or community but please don't be insulting of the Irish or our pride
Irish people can be just as nice/nasty as other races and nationalities. Not quite sure why you are insulted on behalf of the nation but there you are.

Irish people can be just as nice/nasty as other races and nationalities. Not quite sure why you are insulted on behalf of the nation but there you are.
Look, take your drama elsewhere. I never said any other race or nationality was bad or tit. So stop addressing me please. I'd rather you stop replying to me when I have no interest in communicating with you and have zero interest in anything you have to say.

• Heart
I’m wondering how they thought Peppa was in Ireland if she wasn’t doing the traditional things 😅 surely she could be anywhere in the world if she’s just going to be her usual piggy self.