Intuitive Eating

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all, so I am a serial dieter. I've done calorie counting, SW, WW, weight loss tea, you name it.

Ultimately this has lead me to have disordered eating and a very poor relationship with food and my body always gaining back the weight I lost on the above diets.

Last year, I was successfully losing weight whilst eating intuitively and listening to my body (I've since gained a fair bit again through stress binging in lockdown). I rejoined WW a week ago but have already decided it is awful for my mental health and intuitive eating was the only time I really felt at peace - so I'm going back to that!

Just wanted a place to discuss really- do yoy do intuitive eating? Has it helped you heal how you feel about food and your body?

Reactions: 1
I’ve been healthy eating for about a month now, I’m not calling it a diet or following anything in particular, I’m just changing the way I eat. I’ve done slimming world before, but for me I want to change my lifestyle and the way I see food. Exercise has definitely helped with that as well.

So I’m going to sound stupid but could you explain what you mean by intuitive eating? I can identify with your experiences with those diets. I have tried so many and have put the weight and some back on. I also have a poor relationship with food which exacerbates my PTSD/depression problems. Until lockdown, I was managing my weight better through regular exercise and less snacking/better choices. Is this the sort of thing you were talking about?

So I’m going to sound stupid but could you explain what you mean by intuitive eating? I can identify with your experiences with those diets. I have tried so many and have put the weight and some back on. I also have a poor relationship with food which exacerbates my PTSD/depression problems. Until lockdown, I was managing my weight better through regular exercise and less snacking/better choices. Is this the sort of thing you were talking about?
So it sounds kind of silly because it's what some people can just do but it's helped me stop binging i spose - there are books on it but the general jist is to eat exactly what you fancy until you are satisfied but really being mindful not to eat until you are stuffed and really assess whether you are hungry before eating. Eating because you are bored or because yoy just wanted something is fine but you have to I guess recognise that's what you are doing?

I dunno, knowing nothing was off limits to me really helped my mindset because i I didn't think oh well i am off my plan today so i better eat as much crap as i can before I have to restrict again tomorrow. I was able to be more balanced I think, because I could have the crap if I wanted it?

(Also it kind of hangs on the idea you won't just want crap all day every day and I do actually enjoy and crave healthy food too - its just the big binges thinking well i better eat it whilst I can that are the prob and this deals with that)

Reactions: 3
I like intuitive eating and it is so much better for mental health that dieting.

I basically listen to what my body is telling me it wants and eat it. I stop eating when I’m full and if I don’t feel hungry for a meal when I’m supposed to, I don’t eat one.

It doesn’t always work - I had Covid months ago and ever since then I haven’t been able to exercise due to post viral fatigue, so that combined with boredom eating(which is not in the spirit of intuitive eating but is very easy to lapse into) has meant that I’ve put on weight,but usually it stays fairly constant.

Reactions: 2
The only other thing is sometimes I try and convince myself I am hungry 😂

But I am back eating intuitively today and I feel soooo happy. I had an omlette for breakfast and a mr whippy for lunch 😂 can't complain.

I genuinely think the only way to lose fat and keep it off is to do resistance training. Otherwise you put yourself up for failure. The more research I see the clearer it is how it works and how losing muscle mass through cutting without corresponding training can make people put on even more fat than they lost. I've tried being on harsh diets, only when I started properly lifting my eating improved and I can eat "intuitively". Though by this I don't mean always eating whatever unhealthy stuff all the time, but I learned to make better choices, still enjoy the food I eat and treat myself.

Reactions: 2
I genuinely think the only way to lose fat and keep it off is to do resistance training. Otherwise you put yourself up for failure. The more research I see the clearer it is how it works and how losing muscle mass through cutting without corresponding training can make people put on even more fat than they lost. I've tried being on harsh diets, only when I started properly lifting my eating improved and I can eat "intuitively". Though by this I don't mean always eating whatever unhealthy stuff all the time, but I learned to make better choices, still enjoy the food I eat and treat myself.
Yeah intuitive eating is definitely not about just eating unhealthy stuff though, it is about no longer denying yourself stuff just because it is unhealthy.

I am a long distance runner and I cross train between runs so i fully understand the importance of exercise but for me it's not about weight loss so much anymore as much as it is developing a better relationship with food.

So for instance today I had an egg, cheese and spinach omlette for breakfast, an ice cream at lunch and then a vegetable chilli for dinner. I also ran for an hour.

I would never have allowed myself the ice cream on a diet, but i had it and im not going to feel guilty, that's more what it is about .

Last edited:
The Anti-Diet Pilot on Instagram was massively into it & she got tiny... then disappeared off insta. I bought the book but didn't get it at all (as in, I don't feel all the things they talked about regarding food).

Hi all, so I am a serial dieter. I've done calorie counting, SW, WW, weight loss tea, you name it.

Ultimately this has lead me to have disordered eating and a very poor relationship with food and my body always gaining back the weight I lost on the above diets.

Last year, I was successfully losing weight whilst eating intuitively and listening to my body (I've since gained a fair bit again through stress binging in lockdown). I rejoined WW a week ago but have already decided it is awful for my mental health and intuitive eating was the only time I really felt at peace - so I'm going back to that!

Just wanted a place to discuss really- do yoy do intuitive eating? Has it helped you heal how you feel about food and your body?
Watch videos by Abby sharp on YouTube. She is a dietitian and discusses intuitive eating a lot.

The Anti-Diet Pilot on Instagram was massively into it & she got tiny... then disappeared off insta. I bought the book but didn't get it at all (as in, I don't feel all the things they talked about regarding food).
Yeah I used to follow he but she did hunger directed eating which os intuitive eating but still with a big ultimate focus on weightloss (therefore really still a diet in my eyes!)

Watch videos by Abby sharp on YouTube. She is a dietitian and discusses intuitive eating a lot.
I shall take a look thank you 😊

I think intuitive eating is great, but it does depend on the person. There seemed to be a massive wave after the eat yourself thin book came out on Instagram from a lot of the slimming world accounts who actually put on weight because they don’t have an off button.

I eat a Keto diet about 80% of the time, it works really well for me