Instamums and autism

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really disagree. It's ridiculously hard to get an autism diagnosis and it is anything but bad parenting. I think more and more influencers are using their platforms to raise awareness/speak up about the realities of the condition rather than it being "fashionable".

I also haven't really come across many instamums at all that have kids with autism? In fact, I only follow one I think! 😂

Reactions: 10
Literally, anybody else feel like autism is the latest fashionable thing amongst the instamums?! It is certainly a very real condition and my heart goes out to parents of children who are diagnosed with it as it must be very difficult... But seriously....I truly feel that quite often it's just a label given to kids who are badly behaved probably because the parent/s have a phone shoved in the child's face half the time and care more about the 'gram than effectively parenting their children.
I absolutely disagree. And I think it’s that viewpoint that parents have to put up with from friends and family members that makes them talk about it more. Diagnosis takes years , is hard work, and emotional. If any of my children were in the spectrum damn right I’d talk about it in an effort to educate and help others

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Sorry, but a fashion statement?! Having a child myself with autism I totally disagree. You don't just go to a ten minute appointment. You have tests and work with a skilled peadiatrition. Im sick of real life situations being labelled a " bandwagon" I want parents who have autistic children to speak out. Might help educate people who don't know much about it. I'm all for educating ignorance too. So when my son has a meltdown in pubic, it's undersood he isn't just a " bad kid"!

Reactions: 12
I am autistic and I recently got kicked out of a Facebook group for offending an autism mom. I must have mis-read a social cue somewhere, or maybe they didn't appreciate me being so blunt. Story of my autistic life oops!

Reactions: 5
It’s views like yours that cause parents of children with autism like me become extremely self conscious. I have 4 children. 2 of whom are autistic. One has ADHD and Aspergers. The other has Sensory Processing issues.

My kids are not bad. My child with sensory issues struggles every day in normal environments. He is currently in mainstream school but they can no longer support him so we are trying to find him a special needs school. Unfortunately, his autism isn’t sever enough for most, but he’s too severe for mainstream. His consultant describes his sensory issues as being like a full bucket of water. That’s him every morning. Throw in what we would could consider normal sounds/tasks etc and his bucket overflows because his brain cannot process them and it causes anxiety and meltdowns.

I shouldn’t have to avoid taking my children out because of fear of judgement from people like you.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
There isn’t anything I can say that wouldn’t be repeating everything everyone has already said - but I couldn’t just read and run.
It’s people like you who make the world incredibly difficult for people with autism.
I work with autistic teenagers and for some of them it’s been years upon years of struggling before they get a diagnosis. It’s not just a quick ‘label’ someone sticks on them and is thrown around... it’s a genuine condition. Also... autistic children aren’t “naughty” - it’s just their brains are wired differently. I’d imagine it’s anything but an excuse for the parents who choose to be open and honest and document their journeys on Instagram - I can’t imagine how challenging and distressing it can be at times to parent your autistic child with the whole world seemingly watching and judging.

• Heart
Reactions: 5