Instagram removing like count

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So this is being trialled in certain countries at the moment whereby you are unable to see how many likes a post has.

Do we think this will be introduced to the UK and the states?

I personally love the idea. I think it would be a total game changer. Where is the motivation to do things just for likes if likes don't exist (or at least not as a badge of honour, since you CAN still see how many likes your own personal posts are getting)

It would be especially satisfying seeing tit accounts who get thousands of likes lose that power and be on a level playing field with everyone else.

Reactions: 7
Yep wouldn't worry or bother me:) I imagine a fair few will not be happy though. Wonder how insta will change? Will there still be reams of contrived pics, displaying how perfect everything is?!

I'm in Australia and we can't see likes anymore. Lots of Australian social media influencers have claimed to have lost 1000's followers in the past week or so and it's ruining their careers. I like it!! Here's an example. She prob has loads of likes on this pic but for my viewing, blankness!

Attachments

Reactions: 2
Im all for it but does anyone know what the benefit to Instagram is as a company? They won’t be doing it to please us, it must have a benefit to them.

Reactions: 1
Im all for it but does anyone know what the benefit to Instagram is as a company? They won’t be doing it to please us, it must have a benefit to them.
Over here they said they removed likes so
a) more focus on the image instead of the popularity of the image/account and
b) removing like counts has a positive effect on mental health.

Not sure what either of those have to do with benefiting instagram. Perhaps there's a hidden agenda or something, would not surprise me. I can't see them removing likes because they're concerned about mental health, when SM is one of the most detrimental things for mental health! Sure time will tell!!

However I like not seeing how many likes everyone has.

Reactions: 3
Over here they said they removed likes so
a) more focus on the image instead of the popularity of the image/account and
b) removing like counts has a positive effect on mental health.

Not sure what either of those have to do with benefiting instagram. Perhaps there's a hidden agenda or something, would not surprise me. I can't see them removing likes because they're concerned about mental health, when SM is one of the most detrimental things for mental health! Sure time will tell!!

However I like not seeing how many likes everyone has.
Yeah exactly, I’m not buying that Instagram is doing this for our health and well being 😂.
Maybe it’s because they weren’t getting a cut seeing as it was Influencers and Companies working together on Ad campaigns whilst Instagram is just the platform 🤷🏼‍♀️ Maybe they’re looking at ways they can make money instead of others making money. That’s more Mark Zuckerberg's style 🙄😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m all for it. I feel like it’s just become such a competition around who gets the most likes. It would certainly damage a lot of “influencers” flogging crap and getting paid per like. I do think it will be beneficial in terms of SM pressure and mental health. There’s a whole new generation coming up who are even more vulnerable that the millennials and snowflakes.

Reactions: 4
It makes no sense to me because you can still click on ‘and others’ and it will list everybody who has liked the photo.

Obviously, if nobody that you follow likes the photo you can’t see the ‘others’ part, but if people that you do follow like the post you can then see every single other person who has also liked it.

I feel like if they’re going to remove likes then they need to remove them entirely and not have the option to then click on ‘others’ and see all of the likes.

Reactions: 1
It makes no sense to me because you can still click on ‘and others’ and it will list everybody who has liked the photo.

Obviously, if nobody that you follow likes the photo you can’t see the ‘others’ part, but if people that you do follow like the post you can then see every single other person who has also liked it.

I feel like if they’re going to remove likes then they need to remove them entirely and not have the option to then click on ‘others’ and see all of the likes.

View attachment 29828View attachment 29829

For me it doesn't show anything, no likes or anything especially the "and others" bit. What country are you in as only a few have removed the view likes part so far

I wonder what happens when someone based in Australia, like Courtney Adamo, travels to another country like she’s been doing for the past few weeks.

For me it doesn't show anything, no likes or anything especially the "and others" bit. What country are you in as only a few have removed the view likes part so far
I’m in Australia as well, how weird that it’s different!

I wonder what happens when someone based in Australia, like Courtney Adamo, travels to another country like she’s been doing for the past few weeks.
I think it stays the same, it’s dependant on what your App Store location settings are set at rather than where the phone itself is

I haven't really understood why Instagram are doing this. Are we supposed to believe it is really out of concern for people's mental health? Seems a bit strange for them to be worrying about the very business model on which they prosper, namely feeding on insecurity to make the next sale. Would love it if anyone could explain it to me.

Reactions: 5
I get how this might benefit teenagers.
Not sure how it benefits me a grown adult looking at accounts.
Also my impression is influencers especially blue tick ones have insights so they can privately look at their stats as they would need to tell the brand if an ad how many likes that grid posts got.
Likes still exist on facebook as well as thumbs down.

I think Instagram will continue to remove features like this, then announce if you want them back, you have to pay for them, so a business account has no choice but to pay. They are aware since the introduction of stories people are making money from affiliate links, it’s only a matter of time before Instagram wanted a slice of that pie.

Reactions: 4