Inside Dubai: Playground of the Rich - BBC

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone see this latest Inside Dubai programme on Monday night?

I think there's only been one episode broadcast on TV so far but Iplayer has two further episodes.

Full of your usual shallow and thoroughly unlikeable knob people who haven't done anything truly worthy enough to justify their extraordinary wealth, and for whom life will come crashing down once they leave the fakery of the theme park that Dubai is.

But with added brat children and with desperate justification of having Filipino slaves etc.

The woman getting a private jet at the airport and all the ridiculousness with the balloons and bags of food - oh dear.
I've only watched Episode 1 so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I watched some of the first episode on TV. The woman with the Filipino house staff, she really annoyed me for so many reasons. We pay them more than the minimum wage because we want to, duck off! Also, was it just me or was her lipstick really badly applied. I found it very distracting.

Reactions: 9
I've seen a few TV shows like this. I saw a similar one in Monaco. It's just very vacuous. Don't get me wrong, they've earned their money (I think) and they can do what they want with it, but I can't help thinking that these shows are unnecessary.

I mean, great, you are living a materialistic life in a man made place, alongside (mostly) fake people who would drop you or distance themselves from you in an instant if you lost most of your money. Dubai, for me, is one of the worst places in the world.

Reactions: 6
Dubai, for me, is one of the worst places in the world.
Yep I visited in around 2001 and hated the place. Judging by this programme it hasn't improved. Still just a land of extreme fakery and shameful abuse of immigrants.

Yep I visited in around 2001 and hated the place. Judging by this programme it hasn't improved. Still just a land of extreme fakery and shameful abuse of immigrants.
I'm surprised so many people still go there. Apart from the weather, it's just not appealing. Isn't it pretty much all man made too? I still see many stories in the tabloids of (mostly) z list celebs going out there. I've also heard shady things about the place from a friend. Apparently the wealthy Arabs will hire Instagram models etc to perform weird sex acts for them. They are Muslim when it suits them it seems.

Reactions: 5
I'm surprised so many people still go there. Apart from the weather, it's just not appealing. Isn't it pretty much all man made too? I still see many stories in the tabloids of (mostly) z list celebs going out there. I've also heard shady things about the place from a friend. Apparently the wealthy Arabs will hire Instagram models etc to perform weird sex acts for them. They are Muslim when it suits them it seems.
Porta Porties but they claim to be "models"
I would recommend Simon Reeves Tropic of Cancer documentary series. He visits Dubai in one of the episodes and the poor Indian immigrants that are treated like tit

Reactions: 7
So glad someone started this thread! I watched this in horror last night. Don’t get me wrong I find it fascinating and would love to spend a day or two there as the sea looks nice but it looks boring there! & The extravagance is sickening, even if you had the money to burn! I’d want to still hold my own bags and mother my own child I mean wouldn’t you find that boring no job no cooking no cleaning and having a nanny for your child? So you just sit there or do more shopping that you don’t need :/ the extreme wealth makes me sick when you see animals and humans starving and suffering without the bare essentials? Also if I was that rich I wouldn’t live in dubai as I said it looks boring after a few days? And too many rules I’d feel watched. I’d rather go on many adventures , maybe walking holidays, Hawaii , Canada , do loads of excursions and experiences! Learn lots! Not just sit there pretty all day everyday! No thanks. I really think these people spending 80,000 on a handbag should be helping others… wouldn’t that feel better? I’d rather spend 80,000 to give to a local cat rescue how good would that feel? I’m happy with a £20 bag but that’s just me 🤷🏻‍♀️ Sorry for the rant. Oh and big one…. Poor woman saying she sees her son once a year disgusting that rich lipstick lady can more than afford to gift that lady more trips home or even pay for her son to come stay for a few weeks how precious that time would be. Oh and notice how there all bigging up the leader scared to say anything bad it’s like a cult! Sorry I’ll shut up now 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 16
So glad someone started this thread! I watched this in horror last night. Don’t get me wrong I find it fascinating and would love to spend a day or two there as the sea looks nice but it looks boring there! & The extravagance is sickening, even if you had the money to burn! I’d want to still hold my own bags and mother my own child I mean wouldn’t you find that boring no job no cooking no cleaning and having a nanny for your child? So you just sit there or do more shopping that you don’t need :/ the extreme wealth makes me sick when you see animals and humans starving and suffering without the bare essentials? Also if I was that rich I wouldn’t live in dubai as I said it looks boring after a few days? And too many rules I’d feel watched. I’d rather go on many adventures , maybe walking holidays, Hawaii , Canada , do loads of excursions and experiences! Learn lots! Not just sit there pretty all day everyday! No thanks. I really think these people spending 80,000 on a handbag should be helping others… wouldn’t that feel better? I’d rather spend 80,000 to give to a local cat rescue how good would that feel? I’m happy with a £20 bag but that’s just me 🤷🏻‍♀️ Sorry for the rant. Oh and big one…. Poor woman saying she sees her son once a year disgusting that rich lipstick lady can more than afford to gift that lady more trips home or even pay for her son to come stay for a few weeks how precious that time would be. Oh and notice how there all bigging up the leader scared to say anything bad it’s like a cult! Sorry I’ll shut up now 😂😂
It's tax free. That's the big attraction for people living there . Who cares about human rights

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Sorry but the comparison to slaves is just wrong. Those staff from the Philippines were not slaves and diminishes the very real problem of modern slavery. It's no different to cruise ships, hotels, restaurants etc. Rich nations around the world (including the UK) have people from poorer nations working in their service industries and sending money back home. I get it's uncomfortable to watch, and pretty much everyone is the whole series is shallow and self centred, but they are not slave owners.

Sorry but the comparison to slaves is just wrong. Those staff from the Philippines were not slaves and diminishes the very real problem of modern slavery. It's no different to cruise ships, hotels, restaurants etc. Rich nations around the world (including the UK) have people from poorer nations working in their service industries and sending money back home. I get it's uncomfortable to watch, and pretty much everyone is the whole series is shallow and self centred, but they are not slave owners.
If there free to leave then yes I agree. But I’ve heard that bosses will get them over here on the promise of a salary then immediately take their passport away and then only pay them a quarter and so they are trapped

• Wow
Reactions: 5
If there free to leave then yes I agree. But I’ve heard that bosses will get them over here on the promise of a salary then immediately take their passport away and then only pay them a quarter and so they are trapped
Yeah ive heard that's common in Dubai apparently

• Wow
The woman with the Filipino workers infuriated me. Saying how she pays them more than minimum wage like she’s a bleeping saint, while the poor chef sees her child once a year. That family have so much money that they spend 80k at least on one flight but they can’t let their chef see their own family more, or even pay for the chef’s son to finish his studies for her- that would be like paying £1 to them.

absolutely vulgar.

Dubai is a soulless, empty place full of big buildings and Lambos and duck all else. Everyone there is all about money only.

As for that geordie bloke deciding to stay there rather than be a ‘shelf stacker’ and be with his three kids? duck off. I’d rather stack shelves and be with my child than be thousands of miles away any day. Deadbeat dad.

As for everyone not being able to say anything negative about the sheik and that silly cow buying all of his books- LOL! You’re living in a dictatorship you idiots!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
As for everyone not being able to say anything negative about the sheik and that silly cow buying all of his books- LOL! You’re living in a dictatorship you idiots!
It was hilarious to watch her pick up the 2 books in her home about the Sheikh and saying they are great books. I thought she would talk about what's inside the book instead she read the front covers headlines. They are purely for show, heck has she read them!

I agree, her lipstick was weired and I didn't like her bratty child. Her husband face was blurred out in the airport. He obviously didn't want to be filmed, wonder why?

Reactions: 8
It was hilarious to watch her pick up the 2 books in her home about the Sheikh and saying they are great books. I thought she would talk about what's inside the book instead she read the front covers headlines. They are purely for show, heck has she read them!

I agree, her lipstick was weired and I didn't like her bratty child. Her husband face was blurred out in the airport. He obviously didn't want to be filmed, wonder why?
Shes probably never read the books haha and I thought it was a bit odd too that her husband wasn't shown

I’ve only watched the first episode and I don’t think I have the stomach to watch the rest. Dubai reminds me of those tacky all inclusive holiday parks that were popular in the 90s. Once you’ve got to the beach, the pool, done a bit of shopping what else is there to do? It’s not like it’s brimming with culture or different experiences- just seems to be the same old thing.
The lady with all the bags and clothes seems to collect them because she’s bored. She didn’t seem to show a genuine interest in the pieces she bought, it was more that she had the money and it was something to do. Felt a teeeney bit sorry for the boy who got his car wrapped and the boss of the shop chose to wrap his own car in the exact same colour.
Gaynor Scott, the women with the bad lipstick, was being ridiculous with the books. Picking one up at the airport because she hasn’t got that one yet. At first I thought it was sweet she had a room decorated in the colour of the Emirati flag as it’s her new home but then the two books in the house, one in the airport and the portrait in the house just made me feel awkward. Interesting that her husband didn’t want to appear, though I think it was a mistake her daughter did. She was being a right brat and the lady she invited around as a welcome lunch looked so done with Jeanie’s behaviour 😂

Reactions: 4
Dubai seems like a place that people who want to give off the image of being rich go, but the genuinely wealthy never go there. I only ever see z listers and pretenders there. Granted, you'll see a few high level athletes there, but you never catch the likes of Richard Branson and co there. Seems like Ibiza in the middle east, but without women being able to walk around in bikinis.

Dubai seems like a place that people who want to give off the image of being rich go, but the genuinely wealthy never go there. I only ever see z listers and pretenders there. Granted, you'll see a few high level athletes there, but you never catch the likes of Richard Branson and co there. Seems like Ibiza in the middle east, but without women being able to walk around in bikinis.
It looks boring AF to me

Reactions: 1
The real estate company owner was interesting. He's a typical English wheeler dealer who went over at the right time and made ££. But his nature didn't fit with the high flying agents he was employing. Also the fact he doesn't even pay them a basic wage feels wrong.

Reactions: 3
I don't get the appeal of going there on holiday - is it just to go shopping? The poor treatment of immigrant workers and complete lack of history doesn't make me want to go at all.
For me it doesn't appeal at all. I watched the latest episode, Ep3. I can appreciate what the Sheiks have tried to do, the architecture is impressive, but looks like Las Vegas (another place I don't find the appeal of) and it doesn't have genuine history or culture that intrigues me. When I go to a country, I like to experience the culture, meet locals, explore the history etc. But that's just me though. I can accept that people enjoy going out to Dubai, so it is what it is.

Reactions: 3