Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mayday

VIP Member
Finally. Hopefully this stops the 'oh I got sent this for free but its definitely not an ad/sponsored' type of posts!

Reactions: 13

swipeup

VIP Member
About time. This is going to have a major impact across the board from the small timers to the big insta "celebs". I like how the government guidelines are clear and use influencer terminology - no more excuses that the guidelines are a "grey area" or "hard to interpret". Let's see how many #ads our favourite influencers have to to declare now!

Reactions: 11

Yel

Chatty Member
So many are just using the excuse that everyone breaks the rules, so it's fine. If they don't stop I hope someone is made an example of.

Reactions: 10

bbk2me

FINALLY they're taking real action and enforcing the law, even threatening jail time if they don't abide. :ROFLMAO:

I can see this creating a huge disruption in the industry. ? I think on the influencer front, followers will grow so tired seeing just how much shit is actually sponsored and gifted, that it'll make them want to unfollow/unsubscribe. It'll also affect sales negatively- people will start to really question if the person is being genuine and will likely see it as, 'Oh, this is just yet another item they're being paid to mention' and it'll sway them from buying the thing. I can see that causing brands to pull back on doing paid-for ads, or at least being more selective = less "work" for influencers. Plus, I can see influencers (immaturely) feeling resentful they're being watched, and now having to keep track and list everything they were gifted... I think it'll discourage them from posting as much.

Then you factor in that the mainstream trend now is to be mindful (Marie Kondo, etc.) = consuming less. Call me a hateful, evil bitch, but I'm so pleased to see this bubble completely bursting. It was insane that anyone was ever rewarded, and so highly, just for posting a picture holding a product they don't even use.

Reactions: 9

Yel

Chatty Member
Good. These people have been making a fortune because it's so sly and sneaky.

If they are honest and above board their buisness model all falls down.

Lots of the channel mum people have a low amount of followers and are making alot, far far more than they should be. They're churning out adverts as if they are entertainment and being rewarded very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9

swipeup

VIP Member
Some of them seem to be having a hard time accepting the fact that they'll now have to mark their affiliate links as #ad. How do they not see that if they go on Instagram and tell their followers about a product they (apparently) love so much that they want to give us the details and then they direct us to a site which, if we buy it from there, they earn money......but they're not advertising it? What do they think advertising is?

Plus some of them don't seem to grasp the fact that if a brand sends them something unsolicited ("out of the blue"), they don't have to mention it. If they don't want to declare it as an #ad fine. They can thank the brand privately and just use it or wear it without telling their followers about it or mentioning or tagging the brand. But at the point where they mention / tag it, they're now deemed to have a relationship with that brand because they accepted the freebie and are now essentially advertising it so it needs declared as such. Of course, we know that if they don't mention it, then that brand won't send any more freebies their way but if they truly love it and want to promote it, then they have to accept that even though it was an unsolicited free gift, they've now decided to share it and as such it needs declared #ad.

I think some of them are being deliberately obtuse around these new guidelines so they can claim they're too complex to interpret and implement and they can carry on as they are. Let's see how that works out for them.

Reactions: 8

Gulster

At last the CMA and AMA are responding to this devious practice by influencers everywhere. Wonder how long it will take to see beauty bloggers use #freebie on every post, as they never pay for anything.
I'd also like to see the correct # when clothes are tagged.
According to Cosmopolitan an influencer with 100,000 followers will earn £156,000 a year for only 2 posts a week! As it's around £3000 a post for 100,000 followers.
50,000 plus is £750a post which = £78,000 per annum from 2 posts a week.
Well that would buy a few Gucci belts and bella Freud jumpers. But if these items are tagged, are they actually paid for? I don't think so.

jammy

Chatty Member
How you know it's a Youtubers keyboard.... the # A D keys are worn out :D

• Haha

motherofdonkeys

VIP Member
About time, it'll be fun watching the influencers fall into different catagories, the ones who rant and whine about the regulations but do adhere, the ones who rant and whine then carry on as normal and ignore (because they're 'special' and shouldn't have to be bound by rules) and the ones who just quietly get on with it and do as they are required. The most relevant part to all the new rules is just be honest, am amazed how many influencers have such an issue with honesty.

Reactions: 7

Gulster

Gleam and Mrs Hinch are all that is vile about influencers. I so want the CMA and ASA to get a grip and force these dregs to #AD etc properly or fine them.
I'm so pleased my 2 grew up before being sucked in. I feel really sad for young impressionable girls. I've heard them in boots wanting the utter shit these influencers flog and beg their poor mums for cash.
Young girls wanting botox, fake hair, fake lashes and fake tan because of the likes of Mrs fakefacehinch is nothing to aspire to. Young girls are pretty and glowing enough they don't need that stuff. Anyone trying to convince them otherwise is just plain evil. It just adds to their insecurities as they cope with growing up and will lead to a massive increase in mental health problems.
What kind of person thinks that is ok as long as they make money? A f***ing monster.

Youtubegossip

VIP Member
I think if you are trying to be open and honest about what your getting paid for/ gifted etc then you don’t have anything to worry about.

Those whinging about the ‘confusing’ changes the loudest seem to be those that are worse for not disclosing

murphy

Influencers should ask themselves why they are being 'gifted' so many items. It's not because the brand is just being generous. There is an expectation that viewers will go out and buy what they see influencers using. Therefore it is a sales technique and therefore it is advertising.

Reactions: 6

GossWhore

VIP Member
Alfie such a sneaky MF

How you gonna out "AD" pushed right in the corner???

Hello ASA? I would like to report a con artist YouTuber. No..Not Zoella

Reactions: 6

Miss-jones

Chatty Member
I can see this site getting very busy when all the defenders of these ad obsessed vloggers suddenly cant see a single post/vlog that doesn’t contain AD!

Reactions: 5

GossWhore

VIP Member
This blog post really summarised why the guidelines are needed

Still wondering who these shady influencers who DM'ed Emma "StOP BeINg TRanSParENt"

Reactions: 4

Gulster

Amodelrecommends took the post down. So rather than be honest and use #AD she deletes the post.
Safely changes it to her cat.
Company now misses out on sales. But then again, they should pay for advertising not use influencers to flog their merchandise.

Yel

Chatty Member
"some items may be gifted"
That's clearly breaking the rules. So many are still breaking them today!

It's like when they tried to do the same for affiliate links, not good enough you have to say for each one.

They are being so cavalier that someone deserves to go to prison!