I am murdering my houseplants.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello you lovely people,

Is there anyone able to help with my houseplants? I seem to be systematically murdering them. They were all fine up until a month or two ago, now they are dying.

My lemon tree was absolutely fine, even had a few small lemons. Came down one morning to find all the leaves had fallen off, apart from the four at the top. I think it is dead but those 4 leaves are hanging on for dear life so I am still hopeful!

My second plant is a tillandsia and a few weeks ago was a vibrant red. Now its brown and dried. Is it dead?! Will it regenerate?!

Third is an orchid that died. So I snipped the top off but nothing has come back. Will it grow back or have I killed this as well?!

The leaves on my aloe vera plants have gone brown and wonky. Are they in the wrong pot?!

My ivy plants have all gone brown, and the leaves have fallen off. The one on the left seems to have some life as leaves are starting to grow but the right doesnt seem too healthy.

And finally the middle plant leaves have all gone brown.

I know I sound a right thick but they were all healthy until a few months ago and I haven't changed what I am doing. Should I sack myself as a plant nurturer, and buy plastic?!

Thank you!!!

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Your post made me chuckle as i have this issue a lot! I’m no expert as I have a habit of murdering them. But my mum always says the following;

Research the plant and how they like to be fed. Either bottom up or straight into the soil

You’d be surprised how little some plants need, very rarely do they need watering everyday, some don’t need it either week

Are they getting too much heat being sat by the glass window / in direct sunlight?

They all look like need water and possibly nutrients except the aloe, I can't tell with that one. Is the browned aloe leaf mushy or spongey? If it is, then that is over watered if it's dry, then that needs more water as well. You water less during winter then increase in spring. Also maybe get a universal plant fertilizer and use that.

Your post made me chuckle as i have this issue a lot! I’m no expert as I have a habit of murdering them. But my mum always says the following;

Research the plant and how they like to be fed. Either bottom up or straight into the soil

You’d be surprised how little some plants need, very rarely do they need watering everyday, some don’t need it either week

Are they getting too much heat being sat by the glass window / in direct sunlight?
Hehe, murderers are us!

They are in sunlight, in a conservatory. I live in the NE so it doesnt get too hot! But they survived the summer. God knows!

I think I may cut my losses on some of them. Plant shopping for me tomorrow!

They all look like need water and possibly nutrients except the aloe, I can't tell with that one. Is the browned aloe leaf mushy or spongey? If it is, then that is over watered if it's dry, then that needs more water as well. You water less during winter then increase in spring. Also maybe get a universal plant fertilizer and use that.
Right ok, I'm slowly killing them by water deprivation. I'm a bad plant mother. I'll water more frequently, see if that helps.

Yes the leaves feel mushy, so I won't water them.

Thank you!

My orchid was in a similar situation, I cut it right back, literally as far down as possible. This was about 6 months ago. I got a new pot mix for it called terra core orchid substrate from amazon and reported it about 5 weeks ago and since then it’s grown new leaves, roots and 2 stems which will eventually flower! I recommend making sure you get a good mix with bark in it as the bark will keep a lot of the moisture so you don’t end up over watering the plant x

My orchid was in a similar situation, I cut it right back, literally as far down as possible. This was about 6 months ago. I got a new pot mix for it called terra core orchid substrate from amazon and reported it about 5 weeks ago and since then it’s grown new leaves, roots and 2 stems which will eventually flower! I recommend making sure you get a good mix with bark in it as the bark will keep a lot of the moisture so you don’t end up over watering the plant x
There is hope! Sorry being stupid here did you cut the stem down so that you took the leaves off as well? Or cut it just above the leaves? I'll get some of that. Also ordered some sandy compost for my aloe plants. X

There is hope! Sorry being stupid here did you cut the stem down so that you took the leaves off as well? Or cut it just above the leaves? I'll get some of that. Also ordered some sandy compost for my aloe plants. X
I didn’t take the leaves off but I have read online that you can do so! The older leaves on my plant are starting to droop now and new ones are growing so I might take the droopy leaves off.. so it should be ok! I would maybe only take them off if they are dying tho. Just cut down the stem as far as possible x