Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I'm in my early twenties and I think 60+ is old. 40-50 is middle aged lol ?

Can we get this troll banned please, she’s crawled in from nursery and the hips don’t let me bend down to pick her up and return her ? maybe after my nightly hot toddy.
Actually I felt middle aged at 22. Life is quite long these days. All these 24 hour days add up.
?

• Haha
Reactions: 10

karenjet

VIP Member
I remember clearly being 12ish and saying I didn’t want to live until I’m 40. It seemed ancient to me at the time ?

Now I’ll be 37 in a couple of weeks and I still feel like a teenager in my head

Reactions: 9
I’m 42 this year and really struggle to think of myself as old. Old to me is 80+
HOWEVER...I work with people who are 21, 29 and 30 and they seem “young” to me and some of the shit they come out with makes me feel old and wise 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Chewycinema

Chatty Member
I find this a hard one because I work with the elderly and I find if I have a patient in their 70s who passes away I can still think "but they were still fairly young."
I usually think of old as in 85+ and it's probably because I've worked with some pretty sprightly 100+ year olds 😂

Reactions: 6

50sGirl

VIP Member
I find this a hard one because I work with the elderly and I find if I have a patient in their 70s who passes away I can still think "but they were still fairly young."
I usually think of old as in 85+ and it's probably because I've worked with some pretty sprightly 100+ year olds 😂
I agree. I don’t think 60 is old because if someone dies in their 60s or younger I think it’s too young to die. In my head, I think thats down to the retirement age. If you die 60s or younger you’ve not had a chance to enjoy it.
70s is old but 80s+ I would class as ”having had a good innings!”

Reactions: 3

Trixabellee9393

I’m 27 and my parents are 55 and seem really young and youthful still so I feel like around 80? Some 60/70 year olds are still very active and working etc so nowadays I’d probably say 80+ one of my aunts is 73 and still mistaken for about 50! She looks great and never sits still! So I wouldn’t see her as old really! X

Reactions: 3

Chewycinema

Chatty Member
I wonder this when it comes to people dying, at what point does it go from they were so young (anything up to around 70s) to they lived a good life (usually around 80+). It makes me think well at what point do you become old.
I wonder if what we consider "old" physically is more the appearance of frailty rather than age? Mentally I don't think you ever do get old 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 2

Roxanna

70 for me, I keep moving the goal posts though. Lots of people still working in active careers in their seventies. My GP is in his seventies, he is useless now though tbf.

MaxieMoo

VIP Member
Sometimes I thinks more how you act. My elderly Grandmother is 89 in a few weeks, she is young at heart (watches Love Island for crying out loud). One of my good friends is mid 60's and the last few years has started acting "old", for example, she won't drive anymore / constantly complains about ailments.

Obviously my Grandmother is old but she acts young so it's hard to know how to define old.

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
It's funny as when i was younger, i thought 30 was old then when I got to 30 I thought that was young! I remember being friends with a couple in their 40's in my 20's and they mentioned having sex and I found it bizarre to think they still had sex in their 40's but as you age, you start to realise the ages you used to think were old aren't!

Like a friends Dad who died in his 40's i still thought that was old but of course it's not when you get into your 40's and still feel young.

At the moment I would say 80 is old but no doubt if I get to that age I'll think it's still relatively young!

Orange Creme

VIP Member
I'm not sure - my gran is 91 and still goes shopping every day but she looks so fragile, she's had some nasty falls lately and I'd hate to be that vulnerable. So I suppose I think 91 is old lol. My mum died at 60 and she was too young. Sometimes my gran thinks I am my mum ❤

Yel

Chatty Member
People's minds are probably giving up from all the toxic household products, microplastics in food, artificial food and long times sat around doing nothing.

70 is old to me. Not sure what will happen now retirment will be a thing of the past for many people and life expectancy for the first time is beginning to fall. It's going to be rough!

Reactions: 1

judsmum

Chatty Member
Elderly to me is 75+. Also, at what age do we stop describing people as ‘babies’ - I don’t mean in Afacetious way but when people absentmindedly say ‘ah you’re still a baby yet’.

chocolate choux

VIP Member
I’m 25 and have felt old since age 21-22. I know how ridiculous that is in hindsight. I’m a self conscious person and I think what made me think that way was starting uni late and being 3 years older than my classmates (the gap in maturity was more than expected). These days I have moments of thinking that I’m actually still fairly young and it shocks me

If I was describing someone as ‘old’, they’d probably be 70+? It’s hard to say really as people the same age can be wildly different

Nelly

I remember when I was very young, I thought 40 was very, very old, I am now 58 and feel ‘young’ I think this is due to a healthy, happy mindset and a lot of walking, I now think 80/85 is the new ‘old’ for me, hopefully I will get reach this age.

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
I think it depends on your age, I'm 40 now and don't feel at all old but I remember thinking, when I was 17 and chatting to a 27yr old man in a club that 27 was far too old to still be going out clubbing 🤣🤣

• Haha

sarahboo

I work with the elderly & a few of them are in their late 90s & I find them still quite young! Sometimes I don't think it's the age as such but perhaps how they act. But for me, probably 90s is old!! My grandad died at 69 and I feel that is a young age to die.

Littl3mi55

I wonder this when it comes to people dying, at what point does it go from they were so young (anything up to around 70s) to they lived a good life (usually around 80+). It makes me think well at what point do you become old.

Chewycinema

Chatty Member
I get this, i think 'old'is any age that you aren't physically fit anymore, ive seen very old 50 somethings as they are so unwell day to day
Yeah! When I was a student and worked in a supermarket I worked with lady who was ages with my mum but easily appeared 10-15 years older. It's the same with the patient group I work with now. Some people in their 90s could pass as looking 70 odd and vice versa