How much would you pay for a puppy?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m a firm believer in not buying from breeders so only the £100-£200 donation for a rescue puppy.
Both of my dogs are rescue dogs and both were adopted when they were young puppies.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
About 13 years ago I rehomed a puppy that was advertised online, the lady wanted £400, I negotiated £200. He was a lhasa apso cross shih tzu. I felt £400 was ridiculous, she couldnt manage him in a top floor flat and was looking to rehome asap. I wanted to show commitment but felt £400 was a lot. Dont know if that helps, but think that is the maximum I would pay.

I’m a firm believer in not buying from breeders so only the £100-£200 donation for a rescue puppy.
Both of my dogs are rescue dogs and both were adopted when they were young puppies.
this 👍

I don’t have a dog but I do have a cat who we adopted from a rescue centre. There are so many gorgeous little animals in these places that need homes.

Reactions: 10
Depends on where the dog was from. If it was from a ‘responsible’ breeder that I had researched and whose dogs I met, (not someone jumping on the designer dog bandwagon) and from health tested parents - then circa £1000.

Reactions: 3
I have a rescue dog. I got when he was 6 months. I paid a donation fee of £140 to cover rescue costs. There are so many puppy farms and you never know what you are buying. You could end up with huge vet bills and a very sick puppy who may die. I would go to the dogs trust. So many dogs are there because owners have passed or ill or other reasons. Rescues are the most loving pets.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
If you can please consider adoption. The worst thing you could do is accidentally buy from the puppy farmers. They are abhorrent in their treatment of witches especially. Adopted dogs are often neutered, up to date with vaccinations and house trained.

Reactions: 9
I went with a respectable breeder, I wanted extra Vets checks done on puppy and I liked the fact The breeder grilled me before I was even allowed to view. I had my reasons for not getting a rescue but I fully support those who do. I paid £800 for my girl 2 years ago, going rate for a border terrier is now £900 ish

Reactions: 4
Depends what breed. Please buy responsibly and research the breed. We rescued a French bulldog that was a puppy farm dog the damage that was done to her is heart breaking. It has taken two years of hard work to solve a lot of her issues. If you can please rescue, they are so thankful!

I was going to post about dogs. I really want one. I grew up with lots of dogs but haven't had one for at least 15 years. Rescues never seem possible with young kids and I have no interest in designer breeds costing thousands. I just want a mutt to be part of our family. I don't know how to get one.

Depends on where the dog was from. If it was from a ‘responsible’ breeder that I had researched and whose dogs I met, (not someone jumping on the designer dog bandwagon) and from health tested parents - then circa £1000.
This. I wanted a German Shepherd as I know the breed. My last one lived to 14 years. No rescue would give me a dog because my child was under 7. Found a reputable breeder who had had shepherds for 18 years, got to meet the mum and dad, plus both maternal grandparents. All hip scored and haemophilia tested, came with insurance and my pup was vet checked twice ( and vaccinated ) before I collected her. I did a 9 hour round trip to get her.
My dog has since had issues with a trapped nerve and all the vets have gushed over her xrays that she has fabulous hips! 😂
We paid just under £800 for her.

Reactions: 2
It depends. I know someone who just paid nearly £1600 for their puppy and I’d probably stop around £2000. However growing up I really wanted a dog, I mentioned it to my dad and the next day he brought me home the most beautiful 1 year old Jack Russel that didn’t cost him a penny as she was from an abusive home. I had her 19 years and she was my best friend.

• Heart
A friend paid £1500 for their dog and its trashed their house, chewed everything in site (not that the price is relevant to that lol) and it has health problems. We paid £50 for our family dog (long time ago) he died last year of old age and he was amazing. We rehomed previous to this, and the dog bit part of my brothers lip off in a totally unprovoked attack. Unfortunately that was enough for me to say no to a rescue with young kids. X

Reactions: 1
I probably wouldn't be able to afford to pay for a puppy but then even if I could I would rather adopt. Although it is difficult for some people to do as many dogs or the rescue centres require you to have your own garden/don't rehome to people who have children of a certain age. I just would try and find the most responsible breeder you can and research the breed well before you decide what dog to get xx

Over the last twenty years I’ve had 3 Labradors. A chocolate one no longer with us £500, currently a yellow £300 and I have a fox red who is a rescue. She had 6 litters in 6 years, breeder was charging £1200 a pup because of her colour.

• Wow
  • Sad
Over the last twenty years I’ve had 3 Labradors. A chocolate one no longer with us £500, currently a yellow £300 and I have a fox red who is a rescue. She had 6 litters in 6 years, breeder was charging £1200 a pup because of her colour.
Six litters in six years? That’s shocking. Poor girl. What a terrible breeder. Was she KC registered?

If you haven’t watched Pedigree Dogs Exposed, then I urge you to watch it. It came out in 2008 and is still available to watch, somewhere on the internet. One breeder of Cavalier King Charles spaniels continually used a stud who had been diagnosed with syromengelia which is a brain disorder and causes fitting in the dog. It was a real eye opener to me. It does not mean however that all breeders are bad though.

That film meant that the BBC stopped broadcasting Crufts and it was taken on by Channel 4 instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies.

I tried to rehome so many dogs but unfortunately was getting nowhere. A lot of the rescue centres don't like the fact I work full time, even though my Dad will have the dog during the week so it won't be on it's own. I live in a flat but I have a garden out the back. They also wanted a lot of the dogs to be rehomed with another dog so the dog can teach them the ropes, so I wasn't having much luck.

Decided to go with a puppy. He's costing me a lot more than I would have liked to have paid but the breeder is the top 10 breeders in the UK for a Cavapoo so just went with my gut. Can't wait to get him home :)

Thanks for all the replies.

I tried to rehome so many dogs but unfortunately was getting nowhere. A lot of the rescue centres don't like the fact I work full time, even though my Dad will have the dog during the week so it won't be on it's own. I live in a flat but I have a garden out the back. They also wanted a lot of the dogs to be rehomed with another dog so the dog can teach them the ropes, so I wasn't having much luck.

Decided to go with a puppy. He's costing me a lot more than I would have liked to have paid but the breeder is the top 10 breeders in the UK for a Cavapoo so just went with my gut. Can't wait to get him home :)
Have you seen any health tests from the breeder? Because your dog is a cavapoo, then tests for the poodle and the cav health problems should have been done. Is the puppy an F1 or F2 Cross?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5