How have you ended appointments with a counsellor/therapist?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any advice for this? I really like my counsellor and have learnt a lot. However, I feel like I either need a break from it or to find someone a bit more aware of my background. Any good tips for ending the counselling?

Do you pay for it or is free?

If you pay for it I just wouldn’t book another appointment. If it’s free I would just ring up the organisation and ask for a new counsellor. I had to do that once with a charity and they were fine about it. Didn’t ask why or anything.

Reactions: 2
Me and my therapist had a contract. So I’d basically give notice if I didn’t want to continue so you can have a couple of closure sessions to wrap things up. You just need to tell them exactly what you put here- and I’m sure they’ll get it and support your decision.

Reactions: 3
Honestly if you already know it's not working just give 24h-48h notice before the session. I prefer email something like below is fine:

Dear X,

I have decided I no longer want to continue therapy for now. I will contact you if I need to arrange another session.

Best wishes,

YZ

Reactions: 2
Do you pay for it or is free?

If you pay for it I just wouldn’t book another appointment. If it’s free I would just ring up the organisation and ask for a new counsellor. I had to do that once with a charity and they were fine about it. Didn’t ask why or anything.
I pay for it. I guess I just find it slightly awkward to say goodbye

No need to explain or justify it, just be polite and don’t waste their time (as in, cancel future appointments, don’t be a no show). Email template above is perfect. They may request feedback but that’s not compulsory. Ending therapy is normal and happens. Switching therapists is normal and happens all the time! If anything it shows you’ve learnt something from your sessions and you’re advocating for yourself, so be proud of yourself! Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: 1
I've had multiple therapists and stayed with one therapist for 8 months longer then I should have because I was so attached to him even though I knew it wasn't working .

Like cardboard said you don't need to explain anything and you are advocating for yourself. You can always go back if you want to later on.

Reactions: 1