How has your spending changed during COVID-19? What are you saving?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you are under 40 and don't need access to the money you have saved, it might be worth opening a LISA. I think they still do them?

I opened one as I don't have a very good private pension.

You can pay in £4,000 each tax year and the Gov put in 25% for what you put in, so if you put in the full £4,000, they put in £1,000.

You can't touch the money without penalty until you are 60. You can pay in till you are 50 then it earns interest only between 50 and 6p and then you can either take it as a lump sum or withdraw as and when while it gains interest or you can continue to pay into it.
Thank you for this. I haven’t heard of this before (which is weird as my dad is an account and is usually all over this stuff for us!) and I feel it could be really beneficial for us as my husband is self employed.

Spending wise, as with others our shopping bill is way up. But other than a few bits for the kids (more card, some stickers) I haven’t bought anything except food. Haven’t filled my car up in over a month because we obviously don’t go anywhere except my weekly to the supermarket.

My husband usually buys his lunch out, and is now eating at home or taking it with him, so I think we’ve saved money on that (although I suppose balances out in the food shop).

We don’t pay any childcare or anything, and my daughter is still doing piano lessons via FaceTime so nothing saved/lost with the kids really. We are pretty dull 🤣

Reactions: 1
If you are under 40 and don't need access to the money you have saved, it might be worth opening a LISA. I think they still do them?

I opened one as I don't have a very good private pension.

You can pay in £4,000 each tax year and the Gov put in 25% for what you put in, so if you put in the full £4,000, they put in £1,000.

You can't touch the money without penalty until you are 60. You can pay in till you are 50 then it earns interest only between 50 and 6p and then you can either take it as a lump sum or withdraw as and when while it gains interest or you can continue to pay into it.
I have a help to buy ISA so don’t think I can open a lisa as well as that one. I’m going to slowly put it all into the ISA as am working towards being able to get a house. I think if it’s in the isa it will encourage me not to touch it and waste it on silly things too!!

Seem to be buying step daughter a magazine when we do our exercise past the newsagents other streets near a main road cant take her that way on her bike. So the guilt of not going swimming or play centres kicks in so end up saying yes to them and sweets nearly £10 she only comes for 3 days when her mum works but its adding up

I'm finding I have been browsing online shopping places, seeing the delivery date isnt until late may/early june and thinking 'wow i wont even want that by then' and clicking off! Maybe this is finally the end of my longterm love of online shopping for crap I enjoy for a week or two and then shove into a cupboard to be thrown away in a year😂

I'm lucky to live at home and whilst I pay rent its very low compared to if i had to rent privately etc so using this time to hopefully save a large amount of money to boost the moving out fund!

Reactions: 7
I would say so far mine is about the same.

I am a saver generally though and only really buy things if I have saved up for them - never used to be that way but my dream wedding and honeymoon changed me. 🤣 I didn’t want any debt so changed my habits about 4 years ago - and it was worth every penny saved and lunchtime treat/candle/primark spree sacrificed!

I have noticed groceries are a bit more expensive as we are not shopping in different shops to get the best deals and I also think there are a lot fewer special offers atm as well.

I have saved about £300 per month commuting but spent it on some things for a bit of DIY to keep busy at the weekends 😊
get them fast whilst they are this cheap! I have them in a take out cup for added effect 🤣https://www.amazon.co.uk/NESCAFÉ-GO...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Sorry I tagged the wrong post!

Do you have a link to said almond milk lattes please? I'm absolutely desperate for a Starbucks 😉🙏
I just posted the link in my last message I just posted, I tagged the wrong message at first!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
In a month I’ve saved an extra £1500 by only going food shopping and buying nothing else. I can’t believe how much I used to waste daily.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
My bank account has never been so much in the black I do miss take aways even though there is the options we have been cooking at home instead. Wonder how many Habbits will change. We were spending with both my self and husband working a hour away. £120 a month on petrol. Mental isn’t it. Although now I only drive to work and food shopping my husband works from home
We probs spend a quarter of that a week. Sad things isn’t it.

Reactions: 2
We’ve saved quite a bit as we usually eat out a lot and take our kids out every weekend!!
BUT we are spending around £250 a week on shopping (normally spend around £100 ) and lots of takeaways are opening back up near us so we’ve had a few of them.
We have managed to pay our £1200 credit card bill in around 5 weeks though which we’re pleased about!!

Reactions: 5
I've saved a fair bit due to not having to use childcare and haven't been taking the kids anywhere. Food has gone up a fair bit.

I'm still only just comfortable. I'm usually in the minuses in my bank account right now but I can't say I feel like I'm much richer. I was meant to be paid yesterday but they haven't gotten the furlough money get from gvmnt so we have to wait until mid next week. hopefully it comes in before my bills are due :/

• Wow
I've saved a fair bit due to not having to use childcare and haven't been taking the kids anywhere. Food has gone up a fair bit.

I'm still only just comfortable. I'm usually in the minuses in my bank account right now but I can't say I feel like I'm much richer. I was meant to be paid yesterday but they haven't gotten the furlough money get from gvmnt so we have to wait until mid next week. hopefully it comes in before my bills are due :/
Oh dear that's not a good sign that they havent sorted the money out I'm dreading my pay day on Tuesday then

Oh dear that's not a good sign that they havent sorted the money out I'm dreading my pay day on Tuesday then
They told us they applied for the money on the 20th(which I think is when it opened) and it should be with them within 6 working days. They reckon they'll be able to pay us by Tuesday at the latest so hopefully you'll be okay by Tuesday x

They told us they applied for the money on the 20th(which I think is when it opened) and it should be with them within 6 working days. They reckon they'll be able to pay us by Tuesday at the latest so hopefully you'll be okay by Tuesday x
Fingers crossed for you xx

My credit card statement is half a page instead of the usual 2 pages. I’ve realised it Is possible to only food shop once a week, if I’m organised, use a list and ruthlessly meal plan! That being said, I’m prob spending more on food as only going to Tesco now instead of Aldi as I can get everything there.
Saving around £50 a month with no Starbucks visits 🙈
And no general frittering cash with weekend trips to dunhelm, b&q, Dobbies etc. Making the most of being able to save extra for the time being but oh boy I can’t wait till the shops are open again and I can get a proper mooch round and take my time And not feel in a panic or stress although who knows when that will be x

Reactions: 6
Does anyone think this money saving will last most of the year? When shops eventually do open I can’t imagine when I will feel comfortable mooching about a busy shopping centre.

Does anyone think this money saving will last most of the year? When shops eventually do open I can’t imagine when I will feel comfortable mooching about a busy shopping centre.

Dont fancy queuing to go it wont be same again I feel. Nothing will unless we get lucky

Perhaps this disease is man-made to make us save for our pension pot so the government wont have to pay us.🤣

• Haha
It's a real eye opener on what I and we spend as a family, no school bus fees saves £10 a day, I drive my other child and that's 2 hours a day driving, so time too. My husband works in london, no train fares, he spends a fortune on lunches around £70 a week. I am saving on school lunch money, toys, stationary etc I buy at weekends, make up impulse purchases and meals out and takeaways. My food shop has only gone up slightly as I've made more things from scratch, plus making stuff last. Normally I would think I'm going to Mark's or sainsburys and get kids treats, meal deals etc and spend more on that. My biggest saving has been clothes, for me and kids, I would have normally bought us new stuff for holidays. I think this will change how I shop and spend money going forward, I will be alot more frugal going forward. I spend alot on flowers and plants too, I miss going to the garden centre. I do think the economy will pick up when we get out again as we are all desperate to go shopping 🤞

Yes I think it will. I read a article on the Daily Mail where it said when shops open changing room will be closed, you cant try on clothes, only a few in at a time, no seating areas and there will be a one way system. So I bet it will be like the supermarkets where you queue outside and a few go in at a time but TBH I wont be bothered queuing just to look around a clothes shop its enough hassle doing the food shop once a week!

I said to my family I might start buying Christmas presents now (not for kids) because there is NOWAY Im going to stand queuing at Christmas the queue will be sooo long!

Reactions: 3