Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

fireflies

VIP Member
Ocado take payment the day it's delivered.

Morrisons have also started food boxes which are separate from their normal delivery service.

Personally I've limited how much I'm going out and I think it will be worse in two weeks time. Can you and your husband got to the same shop together but pay separately?

Instead of milk maybe your friend could try a milk alternative, like milk powder or soya or oat which can still be bought online from Amazon and there's still small companies taking orders who also deliver.

Thank you managed get to Aldi today one slightly further away from home as people on Facebook said it was quiet.
Filled a trolley including Easter eggs for the kids and spent £170.
This will last is over 2 weeks as dident want to be shopping during the peak.
Meal planned 24 evening meals with what I have brought plus 14 lunches with what we have and what I brought.
We will need top up milk bread and fruit but feeling less panicy.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

fireflies

VIP Member
Genuine question and guess relevent most large families.
A normal shop looks like we stock piling.
Luckily I was wise few weeks ago added few extra reduced bread and meat in freezer
Managed get some sale nappies before all this blew up so I can share any spare nappies with local freinds or neighbours.
Week and half a go I did big meat shop in aldis and stocked up on medicines.
Nearly a week ago we made decision to self isolate and keep the kids off school.
Start last week then did trip to lildls and did big shop snacks breakfasts fruit frozen and tinned fruit as the previous aldi shop I just focussed on some cans and meat for meals so because at that time I mean planned 14 evening meals made a lost then went shopping and froze half the meat.
In reality I have enough at the time for 20 evening meals until pay day at end of the month .

Obviously kids at home they eat more my food bill always goes up school holidays.
I have rationed snacks and portion sizes
Batch cooked meals and frozen some and have some in fridge I'm case one if us gets ill and doesn't feel like cooking.
We now stopped going go big supermarkets and stick to local corner shops and chemists within 10 mins walk to try and get a few bits.
Managed to get toiliet roll just 1 pack but enough to tide is over or give 1 roll to neighbour or freind .
Hand wash as nearly out.
Sanitary products although worried they going to go short soon.
Got 1 extra pack wipes again if someone's in dire need I have a very small buffer of extra items in happy to share at no cost.
We are fortunate we are well and we in a area with lots small shops supply is patchy but not as bad as some areas.
My friend in another area is struggling and in isolation she's given me a small list basic things in going to look out for this week and deliver.
Me and my husband and kids currently well.
Husbands working and has the car.
So will deliver 2 packages to freinds self isolating.
It is expensive and tiring going to many small shops and I'm trying to limit trips out.
We were having some luck with small local sainsburys and tesco but they now look so empty like they shutting down.
I have small list things I think we need in few days mainly eggs bread milk wipes sanitary towells nothing major
With shops limiting items to 1 2 or 3 of same product now I'm wondering ok ordinary we get paid and do a food shop that doesny seem quite as easy anymore.
No online slots until April is that worth a try.
Do they take payment on the day it's picked fortunate we register with Ocado and Waitrose.
I'm wondering do shop tommorow for something crazy like April 10th.
As I worry we be at the peak by then.
I considered and mentioned to freind local milk man or riverford veg boxes she said they not taking new customers in her area.
Not checked out local milk man but milk makes me the most twitchy.
Some neighbours have chickens we might be able to buy off them.
We have an allotment but we go lockdown unsure if we get up there to plant anything or water it.
I suggested we grown some herbs and veg on pots in the garden as lilds has seeds.

Maybe supply will get better when we in lock down.
Doing almost daily small shops mean people going out more frequently than is ideal.
I just don't know what to do for the best.
I think the uncertainty is just as bad as the virus.

Anyone else thourght about next month yet?
Apart from couple things running low we ok for next 2 weeks.

Reactions: 1

chocolate choux

VIP Member
According to people from countries in lockdown in the main Coronavirus thread, supply improved a lot after lockdown was enforced. I think (not certain) they might still have the X limit of items per person, which again is helping. Sadly I don’t think monthly shops are going to be possible in the near future. We need to get the supplies available back up to a normal level, which won’t happen if people continue buying a lot even though it’s justified in your case

Obviously going out multiple times to lots of little shops isn’t ideal for you or the containment of the virus, but I don’t think there will be an alternative for a while

I’ve seen in the news that supermarkets are hiring people within three hours and rapidly getting them trained up so if the shortages are simply an issue of getting the supplies into shops (not sure how much I believe that), the situation should be a lot better in a couple of weeks

For the meantime I’m just doing little shops and getting what I need if and when I can. That seems like the only option what with the lack of stock and restrictions

Reactions: 1

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Ocado take payment the day it's delivered.

Morrisons have also started food boxes which are separate from their normal delivery service.

Personally I've limited how much I'm going out and I think it will be worse in two weeks time. Can you and your husband got to the same shop together but pay separately?

Instead of milk maybe your friend could try a milk alternative, like milk powder or soya or oat which can still be bought online from Amazon and there's still small companies taking orders who also deliver.