How did you end up in your career?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m always really interested to know this! Like how people end up in careers that they never planned, or how they end up in the most interesting and random jobs. I find it fascinating how different opportunities present themselves to different people.

Mine isn’t very exciting... I started working for my company as a shelf stacker when I was 17. I applied for soooo many weekend jobs whilst I was at college. To this day I still have no idea how on earth I made it through the group interview because I was basically silent! Ten years later I work at head office, I’ve had various roles over the years including at supervisor level. I got every role off my own back. But recently I’ve decided that management isn’t for me because I can’t cope with the stress and the people side of it i.e. telling people what to do and dealing with their problems! I’ve tried for jobs elsewhere but didn’t get very far unfortunately.

I’m hoping that the future holds something exciting for me because at the moment I’m bored out of my head...

Reactions: 2
After the birth of my first I became a breastfeeding peer supporter. This carried on and I ended up volunteering at my local hospital. Decided that midwifery looked like fun and decided to apply. Got offered a place and that was that. Kind of fell into it.

I was a probation officer before then and again I kind of fell into it. I did a psychology and criminology degree and after completing it wasn't sure what I wanted to do. The I saw an advert for trainee probation officer which paid for you to complete a degree and decided to go for it.

After the birth of my first I became a breastfeeding peer supporter. This carried on and I ended up volunteering at my local hospital. Decided that midwifery looked like fun and decided to apply. Got offered a place and that was that. Kind of fell into it.

I was a probation officer before then and again I kind of fell into it. I did a psychology and criminology degree and after completing it wasn't sure what I wanted to do. The I saw an advert for trainee probation officer which paid for you to complete a degree and decided to go for it.
That sounds interesting and they are pretty different! I have a psychology degree but I never knew what I wanted to do with it. I’m not a very confident person so I just sort of faded into this behind the scenes job and never really pushed myself to do anything worthwhile. Did you enjoy the probation officer role?

That sounds interesting and they are pretty different! I have a psychology degree but I never knew what I wanted to do with it. I’m not a very confident person so I just sort of faded into this behind the scenes job and never really pushed myself to do anything worthwhile. Did you enjoy the probation officer role?
Yes and no.

I loved court, and preparing reports for court. I enjoyed working with offenders and the rare times where people really managed to turn their lives around it was brilliant to see. I liked going into the prisons, though was always glad to leave them.

However you work with some really horrible people, who have committed vile crimes. Sometimes those you feel shouldn't get parole do despite you advising against it, and then they know you were against it and you get their anger too. Sometimes people reoffended and more harm was caused. You would get shouted at, had high caseload numbers and had to work overtime. There were some sad stories. I had cases that were unhappy with the decisions I made. Ultimately I left because I had a young family and it gave me a skewed view of the world (everyone was a paedophile). I do miss it at times though.

Reactions: 6
Ex NHS in various roles got burned out with blame culture & saw a significant decline in my own health before I went. Jumped ship to local government management.
Part time atm, hoping to stay that way until my youngest is high school upper school age then hoping to get up the management ladder.
We'll see. I'm incredibly lucky to be where I am now, and crucially not dead. Which I would have been if I hadn't applied for my current job.

Reactions: 4
I studied English at university and had a pipedream of working at a publishing company in editorial. After I graduated I needed a job to pay bills etc so started at a payroll company doing admin - it certainly helped to get some office experience and aa it was a small company, you just mucked in and got your hands dirty with whatever needed doing. I did that for a year and then saw an ad for a job at a small publishing company doing trade magazines. It was in a data/research role which wasn't what I wanted but figured it was a foot in the door.

Almost 10 years and 3 jobs later, I work in data operations for a global media company. Definitely not what I expected and I do sometimes have a love/hate relationship with it (mainly out of frustration at company politics!) but its genuinely interesting to me. And that first job experience out of uni has continued to pay dividends - never been afraid to get stuck in, help out, learn on the job etc.

Reactions: 1
I worked in admin and then applied internally for a marketing role. I always wanted to work in marketing but I had no related degree or relevant work experience. I thought I wouldn't get it but I just said I had a blog and had experience in content creation and social media. Surprisingly I got the job. Worked there for a few years and then they relocated their office so I moved to my current job.

My parents had a very happy marriage, but they argued about money all the time. As a result, I worked hard at school and got a professional job now earning £73k+ pa. The only thing is I did not end up with the happy marriage, got divorced; but I don't have any money worries!

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Did a degree in sociology, thought I wanted to go into teaching as I had some lovely inspiring teachers

Realised that I'd be terrified of high school kids picking on me 😂

So my part time supermarket job eventually led to me working in the head office
I'm studying to be a qualified accountant, my plan for this year was to apply for better paid finance roles but I'm just grateful to have a job atm

I'm a qualified carer but gave up when I had my babies, now work in their school kitchen as a cooks assistant and I love it! I intend on staying until my youngest leaves primary, would quite like to train up to be the cook.

By not really having a set career plan, and I’m still trying to figure out if I’m in the right place.

Worked as a PA for a few years, moving companies until I ended up in one that just wasn’t the right fit for me at all and I had to get out. I took a little bit of time to reassess and the only consistent love I have had throughout my life has been writing, so I applied for loads of jobs in publishing and copywriting to try and get myself in the right industry. In the end, I didn’t have the luxury of waiting to find the ‘right’ job. I took an HR Admin temp job thinking it would tide me over for a bit, ended up really loving the team I was in and over the years have worked up through the ranks in a few different companies.

I feel too established in my career to start over and couldn’t really take too much of a pay cut but I’m not sure it’s the path I’d take if I had my time again.

I’ve been a qualified carer since I was 19 (I’m 31 now). I dropped out of my college course (childcare) and just didn’t know what I was going to do with myself. I needed a job so applied for a position in a local care home (completely dubious about it and not thinking I’d be able to do the job). Took to it really well and have been in the profession ever since, with a gap of about 3 years when my youngest son was born. I came back to it right at the beginning of lockdown.

I trained as a secretary, a popular choice for young ladies way back when. It’s been alternatively extremely boring, or I’ve felt under-utilised, or overworked and stressed. There are so many more interesting options these days. People didn’t go to university like they do now, it seemed only for the super-brainy (plus you had to study for A levels and I’d had enough of school). Still, all these years later, having fast touch typing skills and a good grasp of grammar means I can work from home, which I love.

I had the career I wanted and worked my way to the top. I have a mortgage that is nearly paid off at 50. I don't do the same work as before. I just don't need the stress or to work those very long hours. I now work with fantastic people and made friends for life. My kids will be sorted for life.

I am not in a career per se but persuing one. I've done a few intense courses surrounding drug misuse as I am an ex addict. People judge and mock those like us, even I judged them before I became one, many addicts struggle to manage deep rooted pain with other means. The drug rehabilitation service allowed you to become a peer mentor for those new to the service which I trained for and started but I got pregnant, so my energy was required with my child. He is my youngest and is a year old now so would love to help out again soon. The peer mentors can be very inspiring for those at rock bottom and wanting to but struggling to come off their drugs of choice. I feel so passionate and have so much love for addicts who want to better themselves.

The peer mentor scheme also offers further training and I would love to provide support in some way to inmates, the homeless community and women suffering domestic violence. I often feel these are 3 sectors of society that are often forgotten and heavily judged.

• Heart
I work in a funeral home. I was in the army before that. I never thought in a million years I would end up in that sort of job,when I lost my nana I remember it was a young female funeral director that looked after her,she was amazing and made me want to do it. I love my job,really special. Each day is so different,one day I can be preparing and dressing the next I will be driving the hearse.

Reactions: 4
I wanted to be a doctor, literally from as long as I can remember.
It was the hardest, longest, most rewarding training imaginable, but the achievement was totally worth it.
Now pregnant with twins, after six years of trying and hoping, I really don't know if I'll be able to return and leave them.
Possibly we can adjust to one income, and I'll return to it later.

I work in a funeral home. I was in the army before that. I never thought in a million years I would end up in that sort of job,when I lost my nana I remember it was a young female funeral director that looked after her,she was amazing and made me want to do it. I love my job,really special. Each day is so different,one day I can be preparing and dressing the next I will be driving the hearse.
Oh I would love that job. I have applied a few times with Co-op funeralcare but never got past the phone interview stage

Completely by accident. I was working in a different sort of admin role, and due to another department needing someone I got moved over to them, realised that I actually loved the work and I'm quite good at it, so actively pursued it and now its my career! I have qualifications and im further up the career ladder now.

Oh I would love that job. I have applied a few times with Co-op funeralcare but never got past the phone interview stage
Keep applying,we’ve had people come in and volunteer now and again when there aren’t any jobs available,we always consider them first as it shows they are really keen. Try the smaller family run independent funeral homes too xx